MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: New Subscription Plans (paying Custom rates while testing)  (Read 16621 times)

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2015, 18:58 »
+1
i think the keyword here is "breath"... as in don't hold your breath.
as stockastic, microstockphot,etc mentioned, after going public... the only thing that is certain , other than death, is that the shareholders will want more money for themselves and less money for us..

and yes, the only viable solution, other than Oringer buying back all the shares and declaring ss non-public, is for us to go indie .
there is really no way we can trust anyone anymore... after istock and ss...
as the rest is just not worth backing.

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2015, 23:33 »
+7
still no answer?

No.

I thought I was getting an answer earlier today but it was from someone in their "Contributor Success" department asking me "at my earliest convenience" to tell them exactly where a particular image was taken (a customer wanted to know).

I was tempted to tell them that when it was convenient for them to answer my query from last week I'd be happy to answer, but no reason to ruin this woman's day for something another department did/didn't do :)

I will post when I get an answer, and if I haven't heard in a week, I'll contact them again.

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2015, 09:15 »
+1
Has it been brought up in the SS forum and do they answer questions there?

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2015, 09:24 »
still no answer?

No.

I thought I was getting an answer earlier today but it was from someone in their "Contributor Success" department asking me "at my earliest convenience" to tell them exactly where a particular image was taken (a customer wanted to know).

I was tempted to tell them that when it was convenient for them to answer my query from last week I'd be happy to answer, but no reason to ruin this woman's day for something another department did/didn't do :)

I will post when I get an answer, and if I haven't heard in a week, I'll contact them again.

" customer wants to know where an image was taken" ??  I have had four of these mails. What is it all about, is this some kind of " fishing for info" thingy. I'm getting suspicious, one of the images were taken in the middle of nowhere so why would it matter where it was shot?

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2015, 09:27 »
still no answer?

No.

" customer wants to know where an image was taken" ??  I have had four of these mails. What is it all about, is this some kind of " fishing for info" thingy. I'm getting suspicious, one of the images were taken in the middle of nowhere so why would it matter where it was shot?
Makes you wonder if the final response will even be about the correct subscription plan.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 10:36 »
+2
still no answer?

No.

Maybe they're setting up their own shoot and want to know your secrets.

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2015, 10:39 »
+2

Even for wilderness shots, a company looking for images of a particular state, or part of a state, could want to avoid embarrassment by ensuring the location was where they described. Ages ago I found one of my shots in use - it was of Victoria (BC) inner harbor and was being used for Pine City park somewhere in Minnesota. Not exactly truth in advertising :)

The shot was of my house, so I did point out that it was private property and not available for someone to come and look around...

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2015, 10:59 »
When it comes to shoot locations, there's very little truth in advertising. We shoot a lot in Toronto, L.A. and Brooklyn, and those locations stand in for everywhere. For the "U.S." winter shot at the end of my Clementines commercial, we shot at a house on Mallorca owned by a Canadian family and used filters to make the atmosphere seem "cold," in contrast to the warm, sunny Spanish shots we took the day before in the same location. and they don't grow Clementines on Mallorca, but that's where the best production facility within our budget was located.

I understand why someone might want to avoid embarassment, but every tv show, movie and commercial is most likely shot nowhere near the area they're trying to portray.

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2015, 11:04 »
+23
I received a reply from SS.

We receive the percentage as for custom images for these subscription plans. As it's a test they didn't notify contributors, but they said they do put it in the blog if it becomes a new product.

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2015, 11:10 »
+4

We receive the percentage as for custom images for these subscription plans. As it's a test they didn't notify contributors, but they said they do put it in the blog if it becomes a new product.

That sounds a lot better than subscription royalties.

Thanks Jo Ann for following up with them.

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2015, 11:11 »
+1
That is good news.  I wonder how that works though since they wouldn't know if a buyer uses up the full amount of subs until after they reported it to you.  Maybe a delayed reporting?   And hopefully it stays that way when they are done testing.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 14:52 by tickstock »

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2015, 14:10 »
+8

Thanks for checking it out Jo Ann

marthamarks

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2015, 14:29 »
+1

Thanks for checking it out Jo Ann

Ditto here.

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2015, 15:39 »
Thanks Jo Ann

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2015, 16:49 »
Sorry, but I'm not following.  What does "custom" mean?

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2015, 17:07 »
+1
Sorry, but I'm not following.  What does "custom" mean?

The column in the royalty chart with that label:

http://submit.shutterstock.com/payouts

All the "Single & Other" downloads are paid at that rate, for example

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2015, 17:35 »
+6
So, if I understand correctly, the new similarly-priced subs at iStock will pay me 7% or less, while those new subs on Shutterstock will pay me 30%?

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2015, 17:44 »
+5
So, if I understand correctly, the new similarly-priced subs at iStock will pay me 7% or less, while those new subs on Shutterstock will pay me 30%?
Yup, more or less.

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2015, 18:08 »
+1

Probably that's why I got many $0.66 SODs. But it's not enough.

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2015, 19:12 »
+2

Another swing for the fence and a strike out. Can't be any other way the earnings schedule doesn't allow for it.

Hard to see how it is any other way, the earnings schedule doesn't seem to allow for another interpretation.  Have they made any announcement or had any discussion on the forums about it?

Thanks for getting accurate information Jo Ann.

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2015, 06:10 »
+2
+1 thanks  JoAnn for clarifying that for us all

Now we can stop seeing this being brought up ad nauseum on every single thread mentioning SS

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2015, 06:17 »
+7
+1 thanks  JoAnn for clarifying that for us all

Now we can stop seeing this being brought up ad nauseum on every single thread mentioning SS

And perhaps the OP could rail against the iS one month scheme, which is indisputable. 'As low as' 3%.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:30 by ShadySue »

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2015, 09:07 »
+4
Even with my small port (~300 images) I'm seeing an uptick in ODDs the last couple of days - so fingers crossed it's working.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2015, 09:44 »
+3
I'm seeing more smaller ODD's as well. Fingers crossed for SS, a big GRRRRR for iS.

marthamarks

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2015, 10:07 »
+3
I'm seeing more smaller ODD's as well.

Yep. Same here. Happy to know it's widespread. Hope it continues for all!