MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: 10 dead 20 wounded in school shooting  (Read 46527 times)

« Reply #200 on: October 13, 2015, 11:20 »
+3
You can't fix stupid. Seems like these kids that are going in and shooting up schools are getting the guns right from within their own homes. Their parents buy them, and in their infinite wisdom, don't bother to lock them up so the kids can't get a hold of them. Instead, they seem proud of their arsenal, and instill that pride in their children.

Here's a little video showing a few intelligent gun owners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzTGlSp0oB8

fujiko

« Reply #201 on: October 13, 2015, 11:45 »
With those arguments (child safety and stupidity) it makes more sense to ban swimming pools. Comparatively more dangerous than guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWDkxMtHSaA

« Reply #202 on: October 13, 2015, 11:46 »
+2
You can't fix stupid. Seems like these kids that are going in and shooting up schools are getting the guns right from within their own homes. Their parents buy them, and in their infinite wisdom, don't bother to lock them up so the kids can't get a hold of them. Instead, they seem proud of their arsenal, and instill that pride in their children.

Here's a little video showing a few intelligent gun owners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzTGlSp0oB8

Yeah, a lot of those look staged, but the point is spot on. Do a search for "how many people shoot themselves every year" and you will get real statistics. I, in fact, have anecdotal evidence of my own. I had a friend who liked to shoot. He took me to the pistol range and we did some shooting a few times. And one time (I wasn't with him) my girlfriend (his wife) called me and said he had to go to the hospital. Seems he got out of his car, put his pistol down on the seat, where it promptly slid out, hit the ground and shot him in the leg. And since gunshot wounds need to be reported, a whole lot of paperwork was involved. How stupid did he feel?  ::)

« Reply #203 on: October 13, 2015, 11:49 »
+3
With those arguments (child safety and stupidity) it makes more sense to ban swimming pools. Comparatively more dangerous than guns.

This particular thread is about gun shootings, though. You can certainly start a new thread about stupid people with swimming pools who don't fence them in and don't watch their kids. :-)

fujiko

« Reply #204 on: October 13, 2015, 11:53 »

This particular thread is about gun shootings, though. You can certainly start a new thread about stupid people with swimming pools who don't fence them in and don't watch their kids. :-)

I know. But some arguments are laughable.
There is nothing wrong about disliking guns and wanting to ban them, but there is something wrong in some of the arguments used to support it.

« Reply #205 on: October 13, 2015, 12:09 »
+4

I know. But some arguments are laughable.
There is nothing wrong about disliking guns and wanting to ban them, but there is something wrong in some of the arguments used to support it.

I don't think any arguments about weapons that murder children, or anyone for that matter, are laughable. There are a whole lot of social ills contributing to the problem, and people who don't know how to properly handle firearms are one of those.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:13 by cathyslife »

fujiko

« Reply #206 on: October 13, 2015, 12:13 »
One question from someone who lives in a restricted guns country.

Where do you think the gun-nuts go when guns are restricted? Do you think they vanish?
No, they go to law enforcement and private security.  ::)

Also, if you are so against guns? Why not demand a ban on gun production?

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #207 on: October 13, 2015, 12:17 »
+4

3,000 people drown per year. 33,000 are killed by guns..11 times as many.

When you have nothng else, try to change the subject, I guess.

fujiko

« Reply #208 on: October 13, 2015, 12:24 »

3,000 people drown per year. 33,000 are killed by guns..11 times as many.

When you have nothng else, try to change the subject, I guess.

10 million pools.
Guess how many times more guns.
What is comparatively more dangerous.

« Reply #209 on: October 13, 2015, 12:28 »
+3
But the net area of the pools is far more than the total area of the guns - absurd arguement

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #210 on: October 13, 2015, 12:34 »
+4
As Cathy said, if you're concerned about pools, start a thread about them. This is a thread about guns. Or if you like, we could regulate guns like we do pools. Pools require a four-foot fence with childproof self-latching gates, and must be inspected by the town before a certificate of occupancy can be procured. So you can't live in a house with a pool without child safety features passing inspection.

Requiring a self-locking childproof gun safe in every home with a gun, plus additional safety features on the gun itself, and passing a law requiring the gun and safe pass inspection before anyone can live in the house sounds good to me. Also, only one per house, like pools. Ok with you?

fujiko

« Reply #211 on: October 13, 2015, 12:42 »
But the net area of the pools is far more than the total area of the guns - absurd arguement

Good one! You made me smile.
I will remind you that a gun can cover a much more grater area because it can be carried along while a pool is a static object. Thank god no one can carry pools to school.

As Cathy said, if you're concerned about pools, start a thread about them. This is a thread about guns. Or if you like, we could regulate guns like we do pools. Pools require a four-foot fence with childproof self-latching gates, and must be inspected by the town before a certificate of occupancy can be procured. So you can't live in a house with a pool without child safety features passing inspection.

Requiring a self-locking childproof gun safe in every home with a gun, plus additional safety features on the gun itself, and passing a law requiring the gun and safe pass inspection before anyone can live in the house sounds good to me. Also, only one per house, like pools. Ok with you?

So many pool requirements and they still kill more children in their homes than guns? Proof that laws and regulations will fix everything.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #212 on: October 13, 2015, 12:49 »
+1
Laws and regulations will never fix everything, and will never prevent all deaths or accidents. However, laws and regulations can substantially reduce accidents and deaths, which is why new safety features, laws and regulations are introduced all the time, for pretty much everything you can think of...except guns.

« Reply #213 on: October 13, 2015, 13:10 »
Even worse...these parents seem to know their children are disturbed, and somehow think getting them involved with guns and developing deadly shooting skills will help. Of all things...why guns? How about volunteering in a soup kitchen, or gardening, or drawing, or shooting PICTURES, or any other hobby than a deadly one that encourages them to express their rage by killing innocent victims?

It is easy to make judgements when you are not living with someone with mental illness.

A Father's Story
http://www.greenburgercenter.org/article?ID=30

And even harder to do what it takes to facilitate change.

Greenburger Center For Social and Criminal Justice - 8 Ways to Fix The System
http://www.greenburgercenter.org/mission#point2what

« Reply #214 on: October 13, 2015, 13:19 »
+3
It is easy to make judgements when you are not living with someone with mental illness.

No one is making judgments against mental illness. Some of the people shooting up schools have mental illness issues. The question is, why would a home with a mentally challenged person have 1 gun, not locked up, let alone an arsenal of guns, not locked up?

There is a solution right there. But NRA lobbyists aren't even going to allow a plan like that to move forward.

« Reply #215 on: October 13, 2015, 13:36 »

No one is making judgments against mental illness. Some of the people shooting up schools have mental illness issues. The question is, why would a home with a mentally challenged person have 1 gun, not locked up, let alone an arsenal of guns, not locked up?

There is a solution right there. But NRA lobbyists aren't even going to allow a plan like that to move forward.

Do you think all parents with mentally ill children supply them with guns or for that matter have them in the home? I would say the vast majority are more in line with Mr Greenburg who was unable to get his child the help he needed. They try for years to help their children and are unable to do so.

I think many parents have tried to change the system, however Mr Greenburg has the means and fortitude to take it to a level most parents can not. Let us hope he can accomplish his goals.

Greenburger Center For Social and Criminal Justice - 8 Ways to Fix The System
http://www.greenburgercenter.org/mission#point2what

« Reply #217 on: October 13, 2015, 18:41 »
+1
If the information is correct, I think she should get more than 90 days in jail. She could have easily killed someone.

"Duva-Rodriguez was arraigned in the early afternoon in Rochester Hills on the single charge of reckless use, handling or discharge of a firearm, a misdemeanor punishable by up to 90 days in jail and/or a fine."

FlowerPower

« Reply #218 on: October 13, 2015, 20:25 »
If the information is correct, I think she should get more than 90 days in jail. She could have easily killed someone.

"Duva-Rodriguez was arraigned in the early afternoon in Rochester Hills on the single charge of reckless use, handling or discharge of a firearm, a misdemeanor punishable by up to 90 days in jail and/or a fine."

They should give her a medal. Maybe she could have killed the shoplifter or some robber who gets coddled and protected until they kill somebody else. Then we pay to keep them fed and warm until they go through the same cycle again. The crimninals have all the rights and sympathy and the law has to watch every word and step or is attacked. Start shooting shoplifters and carjackers and I bet they will start finding some other way to support their drug habits. A job would be one way?

No guns here, http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/12/31/homemade-bomb-kills-4-wounds-at-least-30-at-southern-philippine-market/

I don't own a rifle or pistol. I've only been robbed at knifepoint.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 20:41 by FlowerPower »

« Reply #219 on: October 13, 2015, 20:27 »
Does having guns in the White House with the president make him safer?
Yay! Perfect.  You've  hit nail on the head. Is anyone in the White House allowed guns other than the people guarding the president? Why do you think that is? Wouldn't  he be safer if everyone was armed? Well obviously not. It sounds rediculous. If it's good enough for the president, why not your children (as you are fond of saying)

I you agree to pay for some armed Secret Service agents to guard my house, I will happily give up my guns.

I can't really imagine what it's like to live somewhere where those are the only two options that would make you feel safe in your own home.

Pretty sure violent criminals can attack anyone, anywhere. The question is whether you want to be a victim or not.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #220 on: October 13, 2015, 20:32 »
+2
How many times have you been attacked so far?

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #221 on: October 13, 2015, 20:38 »
+2

They should give her a medal. Maybe she could have killed the shoplifter or some robber who gets coddled and protected until they kill somebody. The crimninals have all the rights and sympathy and the law has to watch every word and step or is attacked. Start shooting shoplifters and carjackers and I bet they will start finding some other way to support their drug habits. A job would be one way?

No guns here, http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/12/31/homemade-bomb-kills-4-wounds-at-least-30-at-southern-philippine-market/

I don't own a rifle or pistol.

Are you being facetious? I find it hard to believe you think death is an apt punishment for shoplifting or that you don't see that her actions were far more dangerous to the people there that day than shoplifting.

« Reply #222 on: October 14, 2015, 02:40 »
+2
Does having guns in the White House with the president make him safer?
Yay! Perfect.  You've  hit nail on the head. Is anyone in the White House allowed guns other than the people guarding the president? Why do you think that is? Wouldn't  he be safer if everyone was armed? Well obviously not. It sounds rediculous. If it's good enough for the president, why not your children (as you are fond of saying)

I you agree to pay for some armed Secret Service agents to guard my house, I will happily give up my guns.

I can't really imagine what it's like to live somewhere where those are the only two options that would make you feel safe in your own home.

Pretty sure violent criminals can attack anyone, anywhere. The question is whether you want to be a victim or not.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me which country it is that gives a burglar more rights than a homeowner.

« Reply #223 on: October 14, 2015, 16:47 »

They should give her a medal. Maybe she could have killed the shoplifter or some robber who gets coddled and protected until they kill somebody. The crimninals have all the rights and sympathy and the law has to watch every word and step or is attacked. Start shooting shoplifters and carjackers and I bet they will start finding some other way to support their drug habits. A job would be one way?

No guns here, http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/12/31/homemade-bomb-kills-4-wounds-at-least-30-at-southern-philippine-market/ [nofollow]

I don't own a rifle or pistol.

Are you being facetious? I find it hard to believe you think death is an apt punishment for shoplifting or that you don't see that her actions were far more dangerous to the people there that day than shoplifting.

You might want to check out the Fleeing Felon Rule,  theft of over $1000 would be a felony and if you actually read the article, they have mentioned it there as well. 

In any case, the bad guys were caught and no one else hurt.

If you go into "What Ifs" then they bad guys could of killed someone in their get away if she had not stopped them.  None of us can say for sure other than what has happened with no one being hurt or killed.

None of us should play arm chair quarterback on a Monday with this, let her local/state laws deal with it and go from there.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #224 on: October 14, 2015, 18:39 »
+2
So far this year, 13 toddlers in the U.S. have killed themselves with a gun. Someone is shot by a toddler here once a week on average.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/10/14/people-are-getting-shot-by-toddlers-on-a-weekly-basis-this-year/