pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Spam Attack on SS Forum  (Read 13048 times)

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2015, 02:34 »
+1
This business must be the biggest crackpot business in the world as far as managements and owners. They simply never learn from other agencies mistakes.
The truth is probably very simple, they are slowly losing it. Remember IS some years back. This is how the decline started, one cockup after another, nobody cared,  thought they were invincible. Then the hammer fell.

One would have thought they had some sort of an answer some response to the Adobe/FT move but they don't. Suits are just suits not thinkers and strategists.

I fear you may be right. I used to think SS had it easy cos they were the only really well managed Mstock outfit - I think abode may be hunting them down......but too early to tell.

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2015, 04:24 »
+2
To get back to the initial topic: the next wave of spam attacks is hitting the forum. I wouldn't go to bed or even enjoy the weekend off if I were SS. WAKE UP! Tomorrow there might even more affected than just the forum...
Exactly my thoughts. Apparently, nothing related to contributors is important for SS, any more.
Why is it so hard to apply a simple language filter to stop entries other than English. I have to fill out that stupid chaptha each and every time I navigate from one page to another on SS and this guy is creating tens of accounts undisturbed.

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2015, 05:21 »
The solution is fairly simple.  Forum software is the same that AM uses but, there, the first post is moderated.

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2015, 05:44 »
The solution is fairly simple.  Forum software is the same that AM uses but, there, the first post is moderated.
And who should moderate at SS? They don't do night shift and they are probably fee for weekends.

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2015, 06:26 »
Given the type of business totally dependent on computers, Internet 24 hours a day, seven days a week and the size of the SS office. It would really surprise me if they left in unmanned during nights and weekends.
Besides I don't think an ordinary forum moderator can handle a situation like that thinking of that Jensen guy or whatever his name is. He is only there to keep an eye on posts and pull up on bad language at best.

I think the posts are created in such a way they are unstoppable once they start coming in.

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2015, 06:45 »
+2
Easy solution - only those new contributors who had their ID card or passport approved can post on the forum. I dont think spammers would bother to submit some made-up ID card and then wait for a week or more to have it approved. They wouldnt go that far.

The decent new contributors who have problems with submitting their ID will be still able to at least read the forum and find email contact to SS support if necessary.

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2015, 07:32 »
And who should moderate at SS? They don't do night shift and they are probably fee for weekends.
Where's the problem?  It just means a new and otherwise unverified poster might have to wait until someone can have a look at the first post.

OM

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2015, 07:07 »
+1
They cleared all the spam yesterday but haven't done anything to prevent the spammer doing the same again today which, of course, they have.

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2015, 10:27 »
They've done a good job of preventing me from using the forum at all. I can't seem to get it to work in Firefox.

Rinderart

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2015, 12:13 »
+3
It was down for about an Hour and the spam is back, Big time. could be looking for Paypal acc's or LoginS??

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2015, 13:25 »
+5
All that money and they dont have a good enough forewall to prevent hackers from makng a mess

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2015, 13:44 »
+5
Right!  multi billion corp and this is what happens ::)

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2015, 19:17 »
+3
Right!  multi billion corp and this is what happens ::)

Yeah but all the money goes to investors, certainly not to their suppliers or keeping the site running.

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2015, 19:49 »
Well, maybe to one class of investors or top execs who were awarded SS shares without making any real investments.

Regular shareholders who invested into SS shares at $50 or more, don't reap any benefits (no dividends or share appreciation), and most probably lost a bundle.

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2015, 02:50 »
When SS "cuts" royalties I still get the same per download, when IS does it I get less per download.
There's a difference between your commission percentage and your royalty payment.
In that iStock example above, we keep the same amount per sub sold, but Getty pockets a lot more.
Yep in those subs plans you get to keep the same no matter what SS or iS charges, wooyay!  In the first example of the two royalty cuts SS changed it from a % to a set amount resulting in real dollars lost per sale.  From $4.35 to $2.85.
I am still getting $4.35, I dont see any $2.85 sods

OM

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2015, 05:14 »
+2
It was down for about an Hour and the spam is back, Big time. could be looking for Paypal acc's or LoginS??

If it were the the buyers part of the site, you can bet it would have been fixed in no time. We're just contributors exchanging messages of no importance to the main business of making the folding greenery.  :(

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2015, 05:26 »
+1

If it were the the buyers part of the site, you can bet it would have been fixed in no time. We're just contributors exchanging messages of no importance to the main business of making the folding greenery.  :(

Yes but they could very well be looking into accounts, paypal, this, that. Maybe thats the next onslught? one thing is for sure the security is crappy.
Yet we have to go through this captcha rubbish twice to get in. Lousy!

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2015, 05:57 »
Could it be that all this spam activity affected the weekend sales? I had my worst weekend in a long time, in fact zero sales on Sunday which I thought is not possible anymore..

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2015, 07:28 »
+1
I don't think they have anything to do with sales. The forum is separate from the main site.
Besides, 0 Saturdays and even Sundays are the rule for me for a long while now.

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2015, 07:57 »
When SS "cuts" royalties I still get the same per download, when IS does it I get less per download.
There's a difference between your commission percentage and your royalty payment.
In that iStock example above, we keep the same amount per sub sold, but Getty pockets a lot more.
Yep in those subs plans you get to keep the same no matter what SS or iS charges, wooyay!  In the first example of the two royalty cuts SS changed it from a % to a set amount resulting in real dollars lost per sale.  From $4.35 to $2.85.
I am still getting $4.35, I dont see any $2.85 sods
The 2 image plans should be paying out under the OD column not the SOD column anymore since the change to the earnings schedule, if they are still paying out at the higher rate and in the SOD column that would be much better.  Maybe when they raised the prices back up they also changed the rate you're getting paid back to what it was before?  It's not very transparent at any rate.

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2015, 14:16 »
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 15:41 by Digital66 »