pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Footage sales?  (Read 8302 times)

« on: October 04, 2015, 10:31 »
My photo sales have shown an uptick trend since September, but not videos.

I have about over 500 clips in P5 and SS, but only sell about 1 clip per month. Used to sell a lot more. Is it just me or normal?

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 13:01 »
+3
video sales fluctuate a lot, however 1 sale a month off 500 clips would suggest you are shooting the wrong subject matter or else other people are offering better clips on the same subject matter

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 13:11 »
+1
video sales fluctuate a lot, however 1 sale a month off 500 clips would suggest you are shooting the wrong subject matter or else other people are offering better clips on the same subject matter

I have a wide range of subject matters. Given what I read from another thread, I realize that my prices may not be competitive enough. But I am not going to compete with people who sell for $5 or $10. I'd rather focus on unique contents.

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 15:44 »
+1
That doesnt explain the lack of sales on SS where all clips are priced the same.

How long have your clips been online? It took my files quite a while before they started to sell, but then they sell consistently, especially on SS which is my best video agency.

One clip a month seems low to me. But in the beginning my sales were extremly slow.

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 16:07 »
+3

I have a wide range of subject matters. Given what I read from another thread, I realize that my prices may not be competitive enough. But I am not going to compete with people who sell for $5 or $10. I'd rather focus on unique contents.

I wasn't talking about price, I was talking about clip quality. With any subject that's already been shot, we all need to look at the opposition to see if our own clips are of the same standard or better. People who shoot normal (non-action) footage on a GOPRO for example will generally struggle to compete with the same footage shot on a quality DLSR or video camera. I personally have a minimum price of $59 on P5.

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 16:12 »
Best selling full HD clips on Pond5 are priced between $60-80.   Just because some clips are priced much less than that, production companies and TV stations don't buy them.   

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 16:43 »
+3
Best selling full HD clips on Pond5 are priced between $60-80.   Just because some clips are priced much less than that, production companies and TV stations don't buy them.

I wish that was (still) true,unfortunately search engine speaks otherwise.Every search i have been performing recently speaks about prices way below 50 usd at least in the 1st page of results.
And the part about tv stations hesitating tro buy stuff due to the low price seems like wishful thinking to be honest.
Personally the only reason i (mostly) sell above or waaaay above 59usd is the fact that i believe that this should be the cost of this particular clip.Wrong or not i doesnt matter.But not because of me fantacising about  people going "oh high price, this must be good" .
It's not like we are selling unique items through out own shop that you only see once you purchase them.There is always something that can fit in a project and is perhaps better than our own, and lately it seems to be getting cheaper too.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 16:51 by gcrook »

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 16:54 »
+2
This week I sold two clips from the same shoot. First the short, simple test clip for 10 dollars, two hours later the real clip in full length for 60.

Customers are not stupid, you get what you pay for.

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 17:21 »
That doesnt explain the lack of sales on SS where all clips are priced the same.

How long have your clips been online? It took my files quite a while before they started to sell, but then they sell consistently, especially on SS which is my best video agency.

One clip a month seems low to me. But in the beginning my sales were extremly slow.

Yes, most of my footages were added this year. I have added about 400 in the last 9-10 months.

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 17:22 »

I wasn't talking about price, I was talking about clip quality. With any subject that's already been shot, we all need to look at the opposition to see if our own clips are of the same standard or better. People who shoot normal (non-action) footage on a GOPRO for example will generally struggle to compete with the same footage shot on a quality DLSR or video camera. I personally have a minimum price of $59 on P5.

Good points. Although some of my footages were from the lattest GoPro, most were shot with quality DSLRs.

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 17:22 »
+1
I definitely need to revisit my subject matters.

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 17:26 »
+2
I'm pricing my latest 4K clips at $199.  We'll see how that goes.

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 17:41 »
+1

I have sold some 4k clips at this price. Just wish to sell more.

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 18:38 »
+2

I have sold some 4k clips at this price. Just wish to sell more.

My personal opinion is that as 4K becomes more in demand prices will drop accordingly. In the near future we will be seeing prices slide into the HD range and HD slide into the $20-$40 range. We are seeing it at VB. I have only about 50 4k clips and haven't sold any, but I'm not surprised.  That's sort of expected as 4K is more of a special needs asset today than a commodity.

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 19:19 »
+1
This year, I have sold at least 5 4k clips through P5, and about 2 through SS.

I still don't know how I can see all of the sold clips other than the slide show. Is it possible?