MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Eyeem market  (Read 37744 times)

« on: October 04, 2015, 19:01 »
hi i am new to this forum and quite happy i found it.anyhow i ve submited my pics   to some agencies< in ss they rejected me so i didnt bother with them  for second time specially of all the things i ve heard about them>.and then i found the Eyeem app for the iphone and the Eyeem market I  used it for some time now.and i just wanna ask if you submit your photos there as well. One thing i dont like about the eyem is that when you add your photos to their market then they are not allow you to submit the pic anywhere else.so some of my best sellers images i havent put them yet becouse of that
But the thing i like is that they accepted all of my pics so far while sites like dt and fotolia make it diff for me to have a big portofolio there becouse of their silly rejections.
But i was wondering what are your thoughts of this site.i havent seen a thread for eyem here thats why i am asking
thanks
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 19:20 by lostintimeline »

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 20:44 »
I like eyeem a lot, but I dont think it is a place for "normal" stock content. I add files with very strong filter effects, images that are out of focus or I rework old files with 2mp that would be too small for other agencies. Also images with texture overlay from stackables etc...it is a great place to just experiment and have fun. Also a lot of testshots, that I would usually discard, add a filter to them, send them off.

I see them as an add on, not as a replacement for SS etc...smartphone photography is a different genre. At least for me.

My sales are spread all over, so I cannot really predict what sells best. But again, I am not trying to maximize income there, although sales are better than expected, especially considering all the really weird stuff I send there.

It is a fascinating, strange collection and I enjoy browsing it to unplug my mind. And it is the only place where artifacts are a bonus ;)

http://www.gettyimages.com/search/2/image?family=creative&license=rf&mediatype=photography&assettype=image&collections=eym&excludenudity=false&sort=best

I still havent had a single sale from the eyeem market itself, although I have heard from people who have.

ETA: I would definitely reapply to SS!!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 20:48 by cobalt »

mgc

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 04:32 »
+1
I agree with Cobalt, EyeEm is very different to the regular stock sites.  It provides a platform for creativity and experimentation.  I am new to the stock world (3 months) and even newer to EyeEm (a few weeks) but already I have realised that it is a potential market for not only a lot of images I have stored that I wouldn't consider sending to SS or others,  but also for some of my whackier ideas that I haven't yet tried.

However,  despite their acceptance / rejection policy being frustrating,  SS is proving to easily be my top earning site despite having half the number of images in my SS portfolio compared with the other top 4 sites.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 13:54 »
+1
Yep, it's a combination social networking/stock site, from what I've seen, so far. I've been posting to EyeEm Market for about a month and have over 800 images there, so far, of which the reviewers are still working on. I get notifications just about daily of approvals for the EyeEm Collection at Getty Images and have had 227, as of this morning, approved, so far. However, I have visited the Getty Images site and tried to find some mention of EyeEm Market or the EyeEm Collection there, without any results. So, I think maybe Getty is only using EyeEm Market as a "feeder" site to gather images from.

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 13:57 »
+1
Judging by the social networking activity there and the overall poor quality of most of the photos uploaded (selfies and tourist crap), it seems more geared to the Instagram crowd than it is to stock shooters.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 14:11 »
Cobalt, thanks for the link to what I presume is the EyeEm Collection on Getty Images(?). How does anyone search the collection, though? If my images there are discoverable, via tagging, then how does one enter any tags to search for on the collection's pages?

Gary

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 14:30 »
+1
I think you can just add keywords to this search.

The eyeem collection is perfect as an example of unscripted/amateurish/overfiltered/instagram content. The crazy, ugly and all the overfiltering are a real bonus, making the content authentic. Artifacts are for smartphonestock, what film is for retrostock. It anchors the file in time.

But how can you predict what will sell among all this madness? I cant, so I just upload what is fun for me and enjoy any sales I get. But the majority of files only sell once, so I have no plans to organise a shoot just for eyeem. I really wouldnt know what would sell, it is really unpredictable.

However, I absolutely love browsing there, I have become totally addicted to the app and I am always experimenting with stackables and filter effects from other apps.

It is really very relaxing and the diversity and completley unscripted real world reality of the images is truly liberating after more than 10 years of stock photography.

I hope they are successful with their own marketplace, they do a great job at community building. The place is just never ever boring.

And finally I have an agency that I can recommend to all the friends and family who want to also "make money with pictures" but are completely overwhelmed with normal agencies and the professional requirements for stock. But eyeem can be joined by anyone, no special skills needed, just point your phone, take the picture and off it goes.

As you can see, I am a fan ;)

It is nice to have a place like this, in addition to all the regular stock agencies. Just browse, relax and play. Just dont expect too much and go with the flow.

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 14:36 »
+4
I joined.  Don't tell anyone ... :)

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 14:39 »
+1
Now you do it all Sean! stocksy and eyeem are like the complete opposite ends of the stock market.

Hope you have fun! :)

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 01:19 »
One thing i dont like about the eyem is that when you add your photos to their market then they are not allow you to submit the pic anywhere else.

Photos are not exclusive, right? They can be submitted elsewhere?

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 01:50 »
The ones that go to getty are exclusive, the others can go elsewhere.

If in doubt, ask their support.

There are many more smartphone agencies out there and fotolia also has a nice collection.

Haven't tried much else yet, at the moment eyeem works for me.

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 04:26 »
+1
Cobalt, thanks for the link to what I presume is the EyeEm Collection on Getty Images(?). How does anyone search the collection, though? If my images there are discoverable, via tagging, then how does one enter any tags to search for on the collection's pages?

You can look for your own images by searching on the Getty site using "Firstname Lastname / EyeEm" (don't forget the spaces before and after the slash). As a sample, these are mine: http://www.gettyimages.de/search/2/image?mediatype=photography&license=rf&artist=michael%20zwahlen%20%2F%20eyeem&family=creative&sort=best&excludenudity=true

However, from being accepted at EyeEm for the Getty collection it can take quite a few weeks to have them reviewed by Getty and approved. Also, there is no guarantee that the images suggested will be accepted at Getty. A huge majority does but a percentage of the images EyeEm picked for the collection never make it to Getty in the end.

Also, the images sent from EyeEm to Getty are being keyworded somewhere else, so you can not add, enter or change any of the terms that are being used.

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 04:34 »
+1
One thing i dont like about the eyem is that when you add your photos to their market then they are not allow you to submit the pic anywhere else.
Photos are not exclusive, right? They can be submitted elsewhere?

The ones that go to getty are exclusive, the others can go elsewhere.

Correct. As I read the terms, the EyeEm Market has no provisions that would exclude you from submitting images elsewhere.

However, when some of your images are suggested for the EyeEm x Getty Images collection, you will again be asked if you want your images in there. Then there are different terms that require exclusivity for those images.

You can uncheck images that you don't want in that collection, though, and only submit the ones you are willing to supply exclusively.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 11:14 »
Hi all

I have some technical problem. Can not  see photos when I have to approve them to Getty? See attachment. Anybody else have (had) that problem?

That (ajax) circle is going on forever...

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 03:47 »
Same problem on my Eyeem account.

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 05:42 »
I would write to their support.

Sometimes I reinstall the app, I usually have the problem that the camera somehow gets stuck and I cannot get back to the portfolio page. But I have also had the problems in the screenshot.Sometimes problems are gone the next day.

Most of the time the app works well and then suddenly I have 3 days of problems.

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 06:44 »
I wrote the support and from this morning it looks ok.

btw, problem was either on desktop browsers or mobile app

Same problem on my Eyeem account.

hope they solved problem to you and all of us

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 13:46 »
+1
LOL, Sean!  :)  I'm a fine art photographer, myself, and I have only recently begun posting to EyeEm, simply because I became aware that it is a Getty Images portal and I wanted to be sure to take advantage of that, as I have no qualms about establishing a periferal income stream. I shoot for my own interests and projects, though, I don't shoot with stock in mind. Nevertheless, a lot of what I've posted to the market has made it into the "shortlist" for inclusion on Getty.

I did finally find the collection, thanks. I also noticed that none of my images has made it into the collection, yet. I contacted Johanna Fulache, the Community Director at EyeEm, about this and she told me that they have a heavy backlog in getting images into the collection and have to tag them all with keywords before Getty makes its final selections, so it will be some time before we see our work there, I think, unless you got in on the ground floor last year, that is.

Gary

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 07:57 »
If you have series of photos, is it legal to send one to eyeem x getty ,, and other photos to other agencies IS, SS ... ?

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 09:33 »
I have uploaded a few to Eyeem to test the water but I am not sure how the reviewing works. I know that the reviewing for Getty takes a few weeks and that they ask if you want your image at Getty but how does it work for Eyeem itself? How do I see if my images are for sale? When I click on my images it doesn't say it's for sale but maybe that's because I see the image from my own account. Do they give you info if your images are for sale or when they are rejected? I tried to go to the Marketplace but that link doesn't work. Anyone cares to tell me how it works?

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 09:59 »
@hofhoek

On mobile app, when you are in your profile, you have small icon on left bottom of your cover image - to enter in Eyeem Market

In desktop browser you have under menu (three dots at top-right) Market Dashboard

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 10:27 »
Thanks but I stil don't see if they are in the market. When I click on Enter market I get a '404:Page not found'

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 10:31 »

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 10:42 »
Yes. That 's the error page. I can't get in.

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2015, 11:26 »
+1
Have you been accepted as a contributing photographier? If not then you only see the community functions of the app.

Write to their support if you have questions.

Eyeem is not fotolia, you have to apply or be invited into their marketplace.

If you have a series and some files are accepted as exclusive, i doubt you can send the others elsewhere.

Again, ask their support, but do really want to confuse the customers?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:28 by cobalt »