pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Shutterstock ID  (Read 3189 times)

« on: October 08, 2015, 11:52 »
I know what the answer to this is but would like to let off a little steam......
I have had my 10 images accepted by Shutterstock, no problem. However, I cant meet their ID requirements. I live in the UK. We don't have ID cards. If you are as old as I am your British Government driving licence doesn't have a photo because we old folk have old style paper licences that, in Britain are accepted everywhere as ID. I don't have a current passport because I no longer travel abroad. It would cost 70 / $107 to buy one, just to register with a website. Every other microstock site has happily accepted my paper, no photo, driving licence.
I have offered to send them birth certificates, marriage certificates, have suggested that their policy is 'ageist' and generally tried to point out that I am who I say I am. They agree that I am who I say I am, but still won't budge re photo ID. I have dealt with some inflexible organisations over the years but Shutterstock wins hands down. And yes, I know, I will have to give in and spend 70 if I want to upload photos to their site, but I just had to get this off my chest.

Any other aged British photographer had the same problem?

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 12:09 »
Wouldn't your old passport, together with your current driving license be enough?

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 12:26 »
+2
I used to have a UK paper license but many years ago had to change to the photo one when it ran out.
They only last ten years I think.

Hasn't yours run out since they changed to the new format (20 years ago roughly?) or are you saying that once I get even older(!) they will give me a paper one again?

What I'm trying to say is, is your driving license out of date?

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 13:34 »
No, my driving licence is current until I am 74. I considered getting a photo driving licence as they only cost 17, but you need a passport as ID if you want to swop to a photo driving licence! Also, like you, I would have to renew again in 10 years time, if I changed to a photo licence.

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 13:35 »
"Wouldn't your old passport, together with your current driving license be enough?"

I suggested that, but they weren't interested!

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 13:49 »
No, my driving licence is current until I am 74. I considered getting a photo driving licence as they only cost 17, but you need a passport as ID if you want to swop to a photo driving licence! Also, like you, I would have to renew again in 10 years time, if I changed to a photo licence.

It's 20 now, but other documents (e.g. Birth/Marriage certificates etc) can be used - you do not need a passport to get a photo driving license. Personally, I would consider 20 a price well worth paying to be selling on Shutterstock but that's obviously your decision. Kind regards, David.

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 14:10 »
"It's 20 now, but other documents (e.g. Birth/Marriage certificates etc) can be used - you do not need a passport to get a photo driving license. Personally, I would consider 20 a price well worth paying to be selling on Shutterstock but that's obviously your decision. Kind regards, David."

In that case, yes a driving licence is the answer. I must have read the driving licence information wrongly. I will go back and read it again. Thank you.