MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Should i keep uploading or start again from zero point?  (Read 2961 times)

« on: October 13, 2015, 17:18 »
Hello everyone. I'm Alex from Serbia and I'm newbie on this forum, but not new to stock photography.

The question is next:

Over a time of almost 3 years, I've been uploading stock photos to 5-6 different agencies, but I haven't put much effort into it, so on every of those sites, I have approx. 200 images in portfolios. Over that time, I have earned about $600 totally, which is ok for how much effort i have put into it.
- Now I want to put it to the next level and start serious uploading. One thing I learned from not being frequent is that on some agencies (Istock, Dreamstime, Fotolia), the earnings stop increasing as soon as I stop being frequent in uploading new photos, and agencies like Shutterstock, Photodune still keep going even if I don't upload for months, by Shutterstock being the best at it.

What I was wondering is, will my photos maybe be seen better by buyers if I cancel all of my accounts and start from beginning, or should I just keep on with this accounts and be more frequent? It may seem crazy, but I don't know their philosophy of showing your pictures to buyers, as that definitely changes by how frequent you are, more on some sites and less on other...

Thanks in advance!
Alex

cuppacoffee

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 22:04 »
+1
No one can predict which images will be put in front of buyers more frequently on any site these days. They all seem to change their search criteria from time to time to "shake things up" so it is pretty much anyone's guess if new images will sell better than old ones, if old images will be pushed to the front because they have not been seen in awhile, if more images in your port give you better placement, if certain keywords are given more weight thus putting you on page 1 of any given search, if a certain style becomes popular and the site chooses to feature those types of images, if images that have a connection to current events are brought forward, if a site comes up with a new gimmick and might choose your images to help them sell, if, if, if... it's a crap shoot (wow, that was a long sentence).

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 23:21 »
+3
Hello everyone. I'm Alex from Serbia and I'm newbie on this forum, but not new to stock photography.

The question is next:

Over a time of almost 3 years, I've been uploading stock photos to 5-6 different agencies, but I haven't put much effort into it, so on every of those sites, I have approx. 200 images in portfolios. Over that time, I have earned about $600 totally, which is ok for how much effort i have put into it.
- Now I want to put it to the next level and start serious uploading. One thing I learned from not being frequent is that on some agencies (Istock, Dreamstime, Fotolia), the earnings stop increasing as soon as I stop being frequent in uploading new photos, and agencies like Shutterstock, Photodune still keep going even if I don't upload for months, by Shutterstock being the best at it.

What I was wondering is, will my photos maybe be seen better by buyers if I cancel all of my accounts and start from beginning, or should I just keep on with this accounts and be more frequent? It may seem crazy, but I don't know their philosophy of showing your pictures to buyers, as that definitely changes by how frequent you are, more on some sites and less on other...

Thanks in advance!
Alex

If you have some files which generate regular sales, there is no reason to delete them. They have already made a good progress in search rankings. There is no guarantee they will be seen by customers even if you upload the same file to same site. Search position is some thing very important, IMO. There are so many excellent work that never being discovered.

If you really need to delete files, delete those low quality files which never generated any sales. However, there is always a better chance to get them downloaded when they are online, compared to lying on your HDD. So, my advise is don't delete any, just keep uploading.