MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Stock/Getty offering higher commissions on new sub packs  (Read 17300 times)

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 13:14 »
+13
For me the message is clear and obvious. They pull more clients from using credit system (that is giving us circa 1.5 dollar per download in case of essencials) to some 'NEW subscription model' that will give us just 1 dollar per download. It means that we are loosing some 30% income from this operation. They smartly introduced it as subscription model, but in fact it is conversion of credits into subscription and we are getting less royalties. How else could it be? They are not philantropists and they are far from the stupid idea of increasing royalties for contributors. Contributors are just tiny little people who can easily be robbed blind.
Check this out!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 13:19 by monti »

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 13:19 »
+13
Where is Tickstock to analyse this?

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 14:23 »
+5
Too many sites.... the fight to attract buyers at any price is almost over, no recurses left. Next winner and next number one microstock site will the one wich understands the need to attract the best image-makers, and better if they can have lots of exclussive stuff (not necessarily exclusive photographers)

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 14:57 »
+1
Too many sites.... the fight to attract buyers at any price is almost over, no recurses left. Next winner and next number one microstock site will the one wich understands the need to attract the best image-makers, and better if they can have lots of exclussive stuff (not necessarily exclusive photographers)

Totally agree.   They finally realize they need to attract talented producers and keep/get them producing HCV again.

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2015, 15:10 »
+2
They posted the rates and I am fine with them. I wish they would drop subs and just use these rates! Happy to see a positive move!

Tryingmybest

• Stand up for what is right
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2015, 16:49 »
+4
I think there is comming a competition about the contributors. First Adobe and now Istock with a increase.
If we contributors are better organized or united in a club for example we can take a much bigger piece of the pie.

Yep. JSnover for President.  8)

Tryingmybest

• Stand up for what is right
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2015, 17:12 »
+1

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2015, 18:59 »
+3
They posted the rates and I am fine with them. I wish they would drop subs and just use these rates! Happy to see a positive move!
But these so-called subs will mean we get even fewer credit sales. There can be few buyers who wouldn't prefer the monthly subs to credit packages.

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2015, 20:16 »
+1
Lee Torrens has an article about it: http://www.microstockdiaries.com/istock-raises-royalties-for-new-small-subscriptions.html

Lee clearly did not assess this move end to end. He speaks nowhere about cannibalization.

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2015, 22:18 »
+2
Lee Torrens has an article about it: http://www.microstockdiaries.com/istock-raises-royalties-for-new-small-subscriptions.html

Lee clearly did not assess this move end to end. He speaks nowhere about cannibalization.

I think this comment from Lee is talking about just that "However, against credit sale prices which may decline now with the new subscriptions becoming available to all  this potentially represents a cut in contributors revenue."

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2015, 22:30 »

I think this comment from Lee is talking about just that "However, against credit sale prices which may decline now with the new subscriptions becoming available to all  this potentially represents a cut in contributors revenue."

Ah yes. Thats speec reading for you.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2015, 05:12 »
+4
I agree with Lee that iStock should simplify their upload process, already.

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2015, 12:55 »
and talking of getty ,
where is flcikr going these days...
as i read in 2014 "Flickrs move could even position them against smaller image licensing niches like mobile photography, since the number one camera on the site is an Apple iPhone."

is anyone getting any money with the new flickr? or is it like 500px , ...just another socialmedia
gathering traffic???

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2015, 22:52 »
+18

Not really interested in promoting this blog site after the way Canva is treating contributors.   How can we expect objectivity from owner of one site evaluating competing site?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 22:58 by PixelBytes »

banna

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2015, 08:33 »
+1
Subs rised but credits killed. Not 100% good way. Don`t like it at all.

ShadySue

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2015, 17:54 »
As usual, opaque and confusing information from iStock. I can't tell how much I'll actually earn, ...
It has been clarified over on the iS forum.

w7lwi

• Those that don't stand up to evil enable evil.
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2015, 21:13 »
+2
As usual, opaque and confusing information from iStock. I can't tell how much I'll actually earn, ... [snip]

That's easy. No sales equal no earnings.

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2015, 04:07 »

We will also be retroactively applying the new rates, for any image downloaded by the new products since they launched (August 25, 2015), to your accounts by the end of November.

does this mean they simply too little paid us in august and september?

ShadySue

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2015, 05:01 »
+2
No more "too little" than at any other time.
It means they have decided to pay us more for this group of sales and  to make it retrospective.

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2015, 16:26 »
+3

https://contributors.gettyimages.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=3885#post35263

Non-Exclusive downloads:
Previous rate: $0.28
New rate: $1.00

Exclusive Essentials downloads
Previous rate: $0.34
New rate: $1.25

I think you also suggested that they might be eliminating Credit sales which are confusing and all over in prices. Somebody else asked about why this raise would be a cut in commission and Lobo danced around the answer by attacking the person, didn't answer.

After reading here and there I think people are right. These will make Getty more money, and take customers away from our credit sales. It's just subs with a different name, so much like IS smoke and mirrors tactics.

The effect on exclusive will be much more then the changes for indie. We only get 15% to start, and if the question was, are these new sales at 7% I didn't figure it. But for an exclusive to go from 40% to something much lower, it's got to hurt.

Something about this is only being offered to customers who haven't bought in some while or special cases, not everybody. I'll watch the $1 subs and see how that changes the Credit Sales Subs. If it's really a raise, I like it. If it's just going to cannibalize Credit Sales, that might lower income.

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2015, 16:29 »
No more "too little" than at any other time.
It means they have decided to pay us more for this group of sales and  to make it retrospective.
Thx

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2015, 23:52 »
+5
What credit sales at IS? 

I now make less than 10% in IS credit sales then I made a few years back.  Gone from making several thousand $ in credits per month  to couple hundred.  With large portfolio.  Never  in my most cynical moments I ever thought it could go so low on IS.  And the subs only makes up a tiny fraction of the difference.

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2015, 18:46 »
+3
What credit sales at IS? 

I now make less than 10% in IS credit sales then I made a few years back.  Gone from making several thousand $ in credits per month  to couple hundred.  With large portfolio.  Never  in my most cynical moments I ever thought it could go so low on IS.  And the subs only makes up a tiny fraction of the difference.

TS, Partner, no canisters, RC, lower commissions, one size all, Subs, and you wonder why our credit sales have gone into the shitter? 6 subs are one credit sale, 6 TS are one low credit sale, plus percentages cut, and one size is all. They are diverting sales to cheaper programs that pay us less. New sub packs are doing the same.

I wouldn't surprised if IS says, no more credit packs and gives customers a year to use what they bought.

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2015, 22:21 »
+2
What credit sales at IS? 

TS, Partner, no canisters, RC, lower commissions, one size all, Subs, and you wonder why our credit sales have gone into the shitter? 6 subs are one credit sale, 6 TS are one low credit sale, plus percentages cut, and one size is all. They are diverting sales to cheaper programs that pay us less. New sub packs are doing the same.

I wouldn't surprised if IS says, no more credit packs and gives customers a year to use what they bought.

I think this is inevitable across all ms agencies, especially how they are conveniently redefining what subs are.

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2015, 01:40 »
+1
What credit sales at IS? 

I  don't wonder why credit sales are gone.  I am angry credit sales are gone for all the reasons you mention.