MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Canstockphoto - is it worth it?  (Read 46908 times)

« on: November 21, 2015, 20:36 »
I see from the Poll on the right that CanStock is showing results similar to BigStock.  Does this reflect reality for most people?  Is CanStock worth uploading to, or are the numbers misleading like Deposit?  Has there been any improvement and/or progress at CanStock since they were integrated into Fotosearch?

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 20:59 »
+1
I just left Canstock, largely because the Fotosearch sales are now much lower than they used to be. Many at the same as Canstock instant sales

Illustrators have said Canstock works for them.

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 21:00 »
+1
I make $20 a month on CanStockPhoto and $80 a month on BigStock.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 00:19 »
They are about half what I make on BigStock.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 01:28 »
It was only because of easy upload. They declined heavily last months. Simple things in interface they cannot manage too - for example, even being logged in, i have to choose a language and close popup every day! Had an answer from them that it is not possible to change. Strange thing to hear from IT person. Bad sign - sales were stopped absolutely when i requested last payout.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 05:27 »
Stopped uploading some month ago, but then suddenly I've got more and better sales. So maybe Canstock could be worth a second trial!

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 06:43 »
+1
No.
Canstock and deposit spread your pictures to second hand dealers.

also they dont sell much. Like 1/100 of shutter

I was there for a while with my best sellers, I managed to get a payout, and got tired of the whining in the forum and the begging for free pictures so I took my port down.
A couple of years ago I used to test agencies with my best sellers to see if they could produce business. Then I knew something about the agencys performance in general and I could compare to SS, iS and fot.
Canstock never performed.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 06:48 by JPSDK »

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 11:57 »
They're average in terms of sales (vectors). Occasionally a nice Instant EPS sale, but they make up only 5% of my total income.

Chichikov

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 12:38 »
+3
After they begun to make (inconsistent) problems with invalid keywords I am thinking to leave them.
I think that they should understand that most of the people submitting on their site do it because it is very simple and fast to do it, but as a little actor on the market they should understand that if it becomes just a little more complex to submit a lot of people will probably run away.

On this site I have earned in three years what I earn in 2 or 3 days with Shutterstock
So it is not a so big loss for me to quit them

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 13:38 »
+3
I've been with them (and Bigstock) since 2009 and Canstock was always way ahead of BS until this year.  My monthly average this year is less than half what it has been the past three years - it has not been this low since 2011, and with far fewer images.  So far this year Canstock has only made about 60% of what I have been getting on BigStock, and it seems to be getting worse.  Duncan used to come on here and post but hasn't done that in quite a while (as far as I can remember).  My impression is that they are just coasting along until the end.  They used to be pretty good and worth the additional minimal effort but nowadays I am not sure.  Hope they can turn things around.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 16:06 »
+1
Not worth it theyre in decline,

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 16:17 »
+1
I don't see, why it wouldn't be worth it. If you already prepare images for other agencies and put the Titles and keyword in IPTC data, all you have to do is upload and submit. You don't even have to choose categories, so it's really fast.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 17:39 »
+4
I don't see, why it wouldn't be worth it. If you already prepare images for other agencies and put the Titles and keyword in IPTC data, all you have to do is upload and submit. You don't even have to choose categories, so it's really fast.

A 25 cent royalty for a subscription is pretty terrible.

The way I got my head around that was the larger royalties for the FotoSearch Sales - $19.80 for an XXL or whatever the largest size was and somewhat reasonable royalties for the smaller sizes. ELs were somewhere in the $30 range I think.

As sales volume decreased, subscriptions increased as a percentage of total sales volume. Then the amounts for the distribution sales dropped so they were about the same as those on Canstock istelf, and it seemed to me that prolonging the existence of the site was just siphoning off income from other sites that paid contributors more. Even 123rf's royalties are better (or at least they are for me at the 45% royalty, for as long as that lasts).

If any one of those things were different I might have stayed (I stopped uploading a while back) but there just doesn't seem to be a place at the table for Canstock any more and any promise the Fotosearch acquisition once held has long since petered out. It's a shame that all Duncan's hard work didn't pay off with sales volume.

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 19:41 »
+2
I've actually earned about 20% more on CS than BS with less photos.  (But that's not saying much for either site.)  At least the payout is only 50 bucks.

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 20:36 »
+1
There are several accounts i have that i use as tax allocation for my microstock income.  Canstock is one of those sites. Right now i just let them ride for a year and collect my $300 and it goes into my income tax bucket. I have falling sales there though and i have been thinking of closing my account. I will see how Q1 of 2016 goes.

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 20:19 »
Thanks for all the comments everyone.  Is it really the case that CanStock only pays 25c for subs?  How extraordinary.

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 21:00 »
.. Is it really the case that CanStock only pays 25c for subs?

https://www.canstockphoto.com/payout_schedule.php

Very, very occasionally I'd get a 35 cent XL subscription sale (I didn't upload any of my vectors to Canstock; only JPEG illustrations). Given the price difference in the two subscription packages, apparently the majority of subscription buyers went with the cheaper one that excluded XL images and vectors.

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 00:44 »
Yes, subs there have always been 25 cents or 30 cents for me.

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 05:19 »
+1
how can anyone be surprised by 25c for subs when litteraly all microstock agencies pay 25c or thereabouts

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 11:14 »
+2
Most agencies pay you more if you've sold a lot. I get 38 cents at SS, 34.something at 123rf, 35 cents at DT (was 70 cents once for higher level files)

When the volume is high "...or thereabouts" matters:)

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 11:24 »
I don't think there are any levels at CanStock - subs are always 25 or 30 cents, unless someone knows different

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 12:05 »
+3
normally wont share details but my credit sales on CanStockPhoto are 65% and rpd is 1.32 so i cant say i dont like CanStockPhoto they outpeform many agencies in that regard

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 12:06 »
goodwin, 25 30 and 35 c

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 16:23 »
+2
I have:

2393 files / Bigstock
per month around $50 - $60 (discounted tax 30%)

1833 files / Canstock
per month around $45 - $55

My subscription on Canstock: 0.25, 0.32 and 0.35

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 16:36 »
for me it went roughly head-on-head with DT, not too bad I'd say. I have only a rather small port (on both of them) though which may make this non-representative? My sales were up to a dollar lately and 50 sales, but I know one usually should expect images to go for mere pennies there...

hartlet12

• Illustrator
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 02:13 »
I already stop uploading there.With 700+ vectors in my portfolio I only got $29 within 6 months

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 05:27 »
+4
They do several times what BS does for me. Although I did stop uploading to BS a while ago in protest over SS giving out a much lower comission than on the main site and penalising people who already uploaded to BS with the bridge program.

Benozaur

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2015, 11:55 »
+1
For footage, Canstockphoto is a complete waste of time. Don't bother

Phadrea

This user is banned.
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 02:57 »
+1
bsolutely and emphatically NO. I haven't had an image sale since September. Not even bothered with footage :-\

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 10:21 »
+1
No sales in December so far... wouldn't bother uploading.

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2015, 20:18 »
I still haven't decided on cutting CanStockPhoto yet, but I did just close Graphic Leftovers ($1-3 a month), Most Photos ($0-$2 a month) and Stockfish ($2-$4 a month).  Just want less to manage and those sites were not very good revenue sources for me.  CanStockPhoto is $20 a month so at year's end it helps pay my taxes.

Tryingmybest

• Stand up for what is right
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2015, 20:30 »
+1
I see from the Poll on the right that CanStock is showing results similar to BigStock.  Does this reflect reality for most people?  Is CanStock worth uploading to, or are the numbers misleading like Deposit?  Has there been any improvement and/or progress at CanStock since they were integrated into Fotosearch?

As an illustrator, I have growing sales and payout every month with a portfolio of 5000+. I am very satisfied 8)

guy

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2016, 10:28 »
+1
I have a relatively small portfolio of all vector work, 143 images, and I regularly get sales there in their "instant" category that range from $1.00 to $5.00. I think it's probably the most successful middle tier site for me.

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2016, 19:32 »
+1
Based mainly an article on a popular Microstock blog where Canstock had made a large jump in their earning for 2015 I decided to give it a try having started out at DT, IS & more recently SS. My portfolio is not large having only been doing microstock for about 6months, 350ish images but quite varied and including models. I ended up uploading 160 but was too busy to finish the rest and decided just to sit it out a few weeks and see If anything happened before I uploaded the rest. A month later and nothing, nada, not ever a subscription sale, 12 total views is all I have to show for it with images SS or IS seems to have no trouble selling on a regular basis.

It is quite a small sample size but I'm really not sure I'm going to bother uploading the rest of my images and make it part of my routine unless something amazing happens fast.

Joker

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2016, 19:39 »
+3
if you submit to iStock at their rates why not CanStockPhoto as well? 

J

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 23:29 »
They do several times what BS does for me. Although I did stop uploading to BS a while ago in protest over SS giving out a much lower comission than on the main site and penalising people who already uploaded to BS with the bridge program.

How does SS  penalize people who upload to BS?

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2016, 01:51 »
+2

How does SS  penalize people who upload to BS?

They don't.  Some top sellers get to have their images transferred to BS straight  from SS instead of uploading to BS.  Some people who didn't get into the program and have to upload directly to BS got mad.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2016, 02:28 »
+3
It wasn't top sellers. It was pretty much anyone who didn't already upload to BS. If you already had your work on BS you get a much lower rate. Way to treat people who supported BS. It was the first sign of SS's new attitude to contributors.

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2016, 02:52 »
+1
It wasn't top sellers. It was pretty much anyone who didn't already upload to BS. If you already had your work on BS you get a much lower rate. Way to treat people who supported BS. It was the first sign of SS's new attitude to contributors.
Not quite true.  I already had my port at BS but still got the bridge.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2016, 05:00 »
+1
I think they probably didn't spot it for whatever reason. There have been many people I know sell an absolute fraction of what I do and also have much lower RPIs that got bridge because they weren't already on the site.

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2016, 05:22 »
+2
I got the bridge and I already had my portfolio on BS.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2016, 05:42 »
Did you have your whole portfolio on both or just some? Did they connect the two portfolios or did you end up with a bridge version and non bridge version on BS?

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2016, 05:45 »
+2
I had more on BS than SS because I had removed some of my worst from SS.  They just started adding any new images I upload to SS to my BS portfolio.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2016, 05:48 »
Thanks for the info. Now I'm even more peeved  >:(

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2016, 13:35 »
I had more on BS than SS because I had removed some of my worst from SS.  They just started adding any new images I upload to SS to my BS portfolio.
Same here

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2016, 14:52 »
the thing I like about CanStockPhoto is you can see what actually is selling there when it sells if you ever check the 'recently purchased' on the homepage.  also their upload process has to be the easiest of anyone i've sent to.  i joined in 2012 and kept a small portfolio until 2014 when I made a couple big sales.  Then I managed to get 5000 uploaded and through the queue in a very short time.

they keep chuggin' along for me, maybe slowly, but surely. i'm sure if i did illustrations or 3D renders they'd probably do even better for me..

anyways, i have no complaints myself, but i can understand your frustrations..

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2016, 15:34 »
I like them too but do feel sales are slowing and their site has not been so reliable of late hope they start to pick up

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2016, 17:08 »
I like them too but do feel sales are slowing and their site has not been so reliable of late hope they start to pick up

it definitely was quite slow over winter months, but i've noticed a pick up in sales last couple weeks.
i may be slightly biased too - they're one of the last Canadian agencies left in the industry, so for me, this is about as close as it gets to supporting a local business.

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2016, 09:33 »
Hello,
I subscribed to CanStock and BigStock just few months ago, in September 2015 (i'm 'new' to micro)

-CanStock:351 pictures online and no sales at all.
-BigStock: 346 pictures online and 40+ sales.

So in my short experience I can say that BigStock its pretty better...but my portfolio is not big as other so things can change..
just m2cents

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2016, 09:36 »
Sales at CanStockPhoto stopped. For me they stopped at 46.75$ so I'm waiting now for 3 months to reach payout. Used to have regular sales there, not much, but still...

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2016, 09:42 »
+1
Hello,
I subscribed to CanStock and BigStock just few months ago, in September 2015 (i'm 'new' to micro)

So in my short experience I can say that BigStock its pretty better...but my portfolio is not big as other so things can change..
just m2cents
The plus against that is that Canstock is about the easiest site out there to upload on so at worst you are not wasting a lot of time.

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 09:47 »
Hello,

just m2cents
The plus against that is that Canstock is about the easiest site out there to upload on so at worst you are not wasting a lot of time.
Yes, I still upload to them cause they probably have the faster indexing system ever!

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 09:59 »
Is it faster than 123rf? (they are the fastest i know!)

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2016, 10:21 »
+2
Is it faster than 123rf? (they are the fastest i know!)

imho: yes.
basically if you upload your pictures with already filled metadata and you don't have to attach any release its just a click away to send to curator... Select all > send...fast and painless.
In my experience, they're fast in reviewing too... but not in selling :-X

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2016, 21:20 »
No

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2016, 21:58 »
Thanks for the info. Now I'm even more peeved  >:(

I understand completely, because I'm in the same boat as you. I got shafted by SS because my portfolio was already on BS when they took it over and ruined it - at least they ruined it for you and me and countless others like us. Like you, I also stopped uploading in protest.

Canstock has treated me well and have been been a good middle tier earner for me.  I support them wholeheartedly, and I say give them a chance.

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2016, 05:14 »
+2
In my experience when I was non exclusive......it was not worth it.....same as Deposit Bigstock & Veer......the time you spent is much more expensive than returns even for a developing country. Spent your efforts in the top 4 and macro........the other options are just shooting yourself in the foot.

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2016, 05:45 »
+1
In my experience when I was non exclusive......it was not worth it.....same as Deposit Bigstock & Veer......the time you spent is much more expensive than returns even for a developing country. Spent your efforts in the top 4 and macro........the other options are just shooting yourself in the foot.
Having no model releases helps me.  A few seconds to drop images in to my FTP program, then a few seconds on the site and I'm done.  Definitely worth it.

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2016, 06:46 »
+1
Certainly for Canstock the time spent is negligible and doesn't require any thinking so I carry on.....the likes of Bigstock I will do when I have time but would prioritise other sites.

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2016, 08:01 »
Just started uploading my portfolio, not sure how sales will go.
From my observation it really depends on how well a company markets itself and this can change as anyone who has run a website knows.
The daily limit is a little annoying + I notice the add on the top of this forum page says reviewing time wait of 13 mins, the last batch I uploaded was over 2 weeks ago and is still pending so yeah don't pay attention to that add as it is certainly not true but it is an add.

« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2016, 14:57 »
+2
I have always submitted there because it is easy.  CS and DT usually have the highest variance in sales per month, and CS has been quite poor the past few months, with a lot of 25-35-cent subs rather than regular DLs.  Lately regular DLs have been better, but I just checked out prices versus returns and am not sure I will continue - they seem to be paying the lowest commission rates in the industry. 

Size                          Price        Commission      Percent
Small                         3.00               0.50            16.7           
Medium                      6.00               0.75            12.5     
Large                         7.00               1.00            14.3
X-Large                      8.00               1.25            15.6
XX-Large TIFF           12.00               2.50            20.8

These are based on actual sales during the past month and the posted prices on their site.  With the commission for a Medium at only 12.5% they are really not treating contributors well - worse than iStock.  Are they worth it?  At those rates maybe not.

(If I've made any errors in those calculations please let me know)

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2016, 15:29 »
Just started uploading my portfolio, not sure how sales will go.
From my observation it really depends on how well a company markets itself and this can change as anyone who has run a website knows.
The daily limit is a little annoying + I notice the add on the top of this forum page says reviewing time wait of 13 mins, the last batch I uploaded was over 2 weeks ago and is still pending so yeah don't pay attention to that add as it is certainly not true but it is an add.

I just joined them yesterday, so far the approval seems instant indeed..

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2016, 16:25 »
+2
They have been a pleasant agency to work with.  However, I wish they would add a opt out for their partner program.  I don't trust partner programs and opt out where possible. 

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2016, 09:39 »
I have been reading the forum for a long time but this is my first time posting. (yes, I went through the unbearably easy process of signing up this morning :-))
As for canstock, I do have a fondness for them as I have been with them for almost as long as all the other sites I submit to.
Sales are decent although not the best, I would say they are in 6th place for me. with sales ranging from 25 cents on up to 10 bucks.
What I have noticed recently is the amount of rejections and the often lame and inappropriate reasons (in my opinion, especially since many that get rejected sell well at SS, BS, 123.. and we all know ss can be quite a sticklier, but in a good way)
So they are easy to upload to, the sales are decent when they come, they breeze through the submissions (perhaps too hastily) and are a nice company to sell through, they are canadian after all, and I have yet to meet a canadian that isn't nice :-)
Has anyone tried resubmitting images that were rejected?
In the early days we used to do that at SS.

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2016, 14:28 »

Yeah, totally wrong.  I had my full port on BigStock and still got put in bridge.

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2016, 16:27 »

Yeah, totally wrong.  I had my full port on BigStock and still got put in bridge.

How did you make that happen? I was never given the opportunity, and I've been with SS since 2005.

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2016, 17:03 »

How did you make that happen? I was never given the opportunity, and I've been with SS since 2005.

I got an email inviting me to bridge my content. I took it. Much easier and frankly, with my returns on BS, the less work I do the better because I don't make much there.

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2016, 22:32 »

Like Mantis.  I got an email and said yes.  I don't know how they chose who to offer.  Port size, quality,  subject matter, sales volume,  or....? 

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2016, 12:53 »
So when you reach payout limit on CanStockPhoto, do you have to request it, or is it automated process at the end of the month?

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2016, 13:08 »
So when you reach payout limit on CanStockPhoto, do you have to request it, or is it automated process at the end of the month?

You have to request.  I think it's $100 for a cheque and $50 for paypal. 

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2017, 04:30 »
hi all,

I am considering put more photos at my account on CanStock (i have one from some years ago, with approx 200 beginer photos)... But as i read thru here i don't know if is still working the website, it has sales? how is working for you this recent months?

Thanks

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2017, 18:53 »
hi all,

I am considering put more photos at my account on CanStock (i have one from some years ago, with approx 200 beginer photos)... But as i read thru here i don't know if is still working the website, it has sales? how is working for you this recent months?

Thanks

I still submit to CS every now and then since the uploading process is quite fast.

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2017, 13:32 »
I have always submitted there because it is easy.  CS and DT usually have the highest variance in sales per month, and CS has been quite poor the past few months, with a lot of 25-35-cent subs rather than regular DLs.  Lately regular DLs have been better, but I just checked out prices versus returns and am not sure I will continue - they seem to be paying the lowest commission rates in the industry. 

These are based on actual sales during the past month and the posted prices on their site.  With the commission for a Medium at only 12.5% they are really not treating contributors well - worse than iStock.  Are they worth it?  At those rates maybe not.

????

What happened to:    
50% of images sales (20% via fotosearch), subscription downloads $0.25 (fotosearch tiered starting at $0.30 per download. Nothing extra for exclusive images. Enhanced Licenses $22.00 per download

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2017, 14:22 »
Does anyone here know about downloads which show as "free prints" at Canstock.
I just received the princely sum of 25c for one. If this is becomes a regular thing it might be enough for me to close my account there.

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2017, 14:34 »
+4

????

What happened to:    
50% of images sales (20% via fotosearch), subscription downloads $0.25 (fotosearch tiered starting at $0.30 per download. Nothing extra for exclusive images. Enhanced Licenses $22.00 per download

Wow, is it possible that this change flew under our radar? I was also under the impression that we get 50%!

Well, not contributing there anymore.

Edit: this is funny: (from http://www.canstockphoto.com/payout_schedule.php)

Our contributors are paid some of the highest percentages in the industry.

12.5%-20.8%. Highest percentages. Isn't this false advertising, which is illegal? :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 14:40 by spike »

« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2017, 15:07 »
+2

????

What happened to:    

Wow, is it possible that this change flew under our radar? I was also under the impression that we get 50%!

12.5%-20.8%. Highest percentages. Isn't this false advertising, which is illegal? :)

The table with the calculations is simply wrong.
Taking "instant" prices and "credit" commissions.

Real commissions are better, though still not good and certainly not 50%.

« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2017, 16:36 »
+1
They also do not show you the sale price on CSV sales reports, only your commission. I suspect that is intentional.

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2017, 17:16 »
Does anyone here know about downloads which show as "free prints" at Canstock.
I just received the princely sum of 25c for one. If this is becomes a regular thing it might be enough for me to close my account there.

Yes, I got one, should I reach payout I'm out of there.

https://www.freeart.com/
http://www.microstockdiaries.com/canstock-partners-with-print-supplier-freeart.html

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2017, 09:30 »
+1

Don't know if this is still the case but when it launched they offered an opt out from the Free Art site (without effecting opt in to other CS partners such as Fotosearch). I sent them a support ticket and was opted out within a couple of hours. In my case I sell direct on POD sites like FAA and Redbubble so it wasn't an attractive deal for me. I guess if you've no intention of ever selling direct on art sites you could see it as a bit of extra income. More information from when it launched here http://www.microstockgroup.com/canstockphoto-com/exciting-announcement/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:35 by Newsfocus1 »

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2017, 10:24 »
Thanks for the useful info.
I have opted out of my images being used for free, I (obviously wrongly) assumed this meant all free usage. I will contact support and see if they will opt out all my images.

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2017, 11:35 »
+2

????

What happened to:    

The table with the calculations is simply wrong.
Taking "instant" prices and "credit" commissions.

Real commissions are better, though still not good and certainly not 50%.

How do you know they're wrong?  I just took the prices they advertise and the actual commissions I received.  What are the "credit" prices then?  You say that real commissions are better but provide no data.  If that is so I'd love to see the numbers but pronouncing something wrong without backing it up with real numbers is not helpful.  Please redo the table with the correct numbers if you can - I'm sure we'd all like to see them.

« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2017, 15:25 »
+2
Commissions:

http://www.canstockphoto.com/payout_schedule.php

Prices:

http://www.canstockphoto.com/about.php

Both have two sections, "Instant Downloads" and "Credit Downloads".

The prices you quoted are those for "Instant Downloads", the royalties those for "Credit Downloads".
Credit prices differ depending on the amount of credits you buy, as on most sites.

Just one example: the worst percentage in your table is for the medium size. But the 0,75 commission you state is for credit sales, and that size costs 3 credits. The most expensive credits you can buy is 12 credits for $9, so $0,75 per credit.
In that example the commission would be 33%.
You arrive at 12.5% because you compare the credit commission to the instant price. Taking the correct instant commission ($1,50) you arrive at 25%. As I said, still not good, but not as bad as in your calculation.
Taking the extreme opposite example for a medium size photo: The largest credit plan they show on their site is 25.000 credits for $10.000 (price per credit: $0,40). Price for the photo in this plan: $1,20. Commission ($0,75): 62,5%.

Looking at your sales you see them marked as "instant" or "regular" (or subscription, distribution, fotosearch subscription), that's where you see what you actually sold.

I'm not defending Canstock here, but their commission are not as bad as you calculated. There are worse offenders out there.

« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2017, 14:54 »
OK. My brain hurts.
So does anybody really have an idea what percentage we get???
:(

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2017, 16:02 »
+2
I sell with them. They aren't the best comission wise but better than istock, depositphotos and bigstock.

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2017, 21:04 »
+3
OK. My brain hurts.

I emailed them two days ago and asked specifically what their commission was.  They (Duncan) would not tell me. We had a back and forth until I gave up.  They definitely don't want to be transparent. 

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2017, 01:50 »
OK. My brain hurts.

I emailed them two days ago and asked specifically what their commission was.  They (Duncan) would not tell me. We had a back and forth until I gave up.  They definitely don't want to be transparent.

That's also a nice signal.

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2017, 20:58 »
+3

If you are beginning now, no, waste your time elsewhere. I made one dollar there in one year. Much more on other sites. It was a waste of time for me.

« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2017, 02:54 »
OK, they don't sell a lot but upload is easy and a link to current commissions - which haven't changed for years and are better than most I think - is here:
 http://www.canstockphoto.com/payout_schedule.php

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2017, 04:09 »
$0.25 for subs (Small to Large size) is too low for low earning tier agency.
They should pay equal commission to their Distribution/Fotosearch subs according to the number of lifetime sales.
BTW I wonder why my Sales History stats show few hundred sales more than on my Profile page. It's not something new and will ask them when I'm close to the next level. Unfortunately my sales there are going down.

suwanneeredhead

• O.I.D. Sufferer (Obsessive Illustration Disorder)
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2017, 15:19 »
They are my #3, I get a lot of those $5 commissions on EPS files, it adds up fast. 

« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2017, 16:58 »
+1
In almost 12 months I've only had a few sales but most are better than 25c. Maybe if I had a large port it would be worth it. Uploading is easy so I can live in hope of a payout one day 😁

« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2017, 17:13 »
+4
Guys, you writing how easy uploading process is and because of this simple uploading process, is worth to upload there.
Think twice what you writing.
Who cares about easy upload if then sales are almost zero.
No, for photos is not worth to upload there.

« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2017, 01:28 »
+1
And I forgot to mention:
Unique stupid rejection reasons.

Boss Duncan is on holidays all the time ;-)
and his very brave inspectors see Out of focus or even better:
File is not unique enough for acceptance,
in some SS and Adobe FT bestsellers
4, 5 years ago we are expecting a lot from CS, agree?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 01:33 by enstoker »

« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2017, 03:23 »
Guys, you writing how easy uploading process is and because of this simple uploading process, is worth to upload there.
Think twice what you writing.
Who cares about easy upload if then sales are almost zero.
No, for photos is not worth to upload there.
Time to upload is the only cost if you already have the pictures so it is a factor....and though no one has said its a great performer for some itis not close to zero

substancep

• Medical, science, nature, and macro photography

« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2017, 06:49 »
+1
And I forgot to mention:
Unique stupid rejection reasons.

Boss Duncan is on holidays all the time ;-)
and his very brave inspectors see Out of focus or even better:
File is not unique enough for acceptance,
in some SS and Adobe FT bestsellers
4, 5 years ago we are expecting a lot from CS, agree?

I have to a agree with that. The most common one seems to be "inappropriate keywords." I've given up on them for over a year for this reason.

« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2017, 08:09 »
Yes, inappropriate keywords is really irritating - especially when they are OK!
25c is indeed feeble for subs - but FT gives even less - and most CS commissions are for more than this (I refuse to do BS for 25c with keywording hassle and rarely anything other than subs).
It is the lowest earning site I will deal with - but at the end of the year it's a nice little bonus for minimal uploading effort.
Everyone must decide for themselves. Would love to get more - but such is life!

niktol

« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2017, 11:40 »
Gives me a solid 3% of the total income. Down from 4% a couple years ago. I guess it only makes sense if you would like to squeeze every last dollar out of your portfolio.

« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2017, 20:01 »
Yes, inappropriate keywords is really irritating - especially when they are OK!
25c is indeed feeble for subs - but FT gives even less - and most CS commissions are for more than this (I refuse to do BS for 25c with keywording hassle and rarely anything other than subs).
It is the lowest earning site I will deal with - but at the end of the year it's a nice little bonus for minimal uploading effort.
Everyone must decide for themselves. Would love to get more - but such is life!
Hi Sarah, uploading to BS is really easy now and they accept almost everything. I even got an EL yesterday... nearly fell off my chair!  ;D I also find they have accepted things rejected by SS and they actually sell! But you're right, mostly subs from them but I only receive 25c from SS and as you noted, even less from FT for subs.

« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2017, 02:35 »
Thanks Zalee. If times get really bad then I might reconsider.