MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Pond5 charging $10 to cut a paper check, Seriously? what!!  (Read 5313 times)

« on: November 23, 2015, 19:36 »
+3
So I just got an email that pond5 in changing their payout rules and if you opt to be paid by paper check they will deduct a $10 processing fee from your payout!

Thanks for supporting all your contributors pond5, we love how you got our backs and are constantly working to improve our sales potential and maximize the profits of your contributors, lol.

Whats next, charging us to submit content?

Let's all raise a glass or a middle finger to pond5 this holiday season because in the spirit of giving thanks they have decided to do some taking . . .

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 19:44 »
+3
seriously, i must ask you why you do not open a paypal or whatever account so you could get your money immediately?
the paper cheque takes weeks to reach you and another week to cash.
why would you even want to do that???

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 20:04 »
+2
seriously, i must ask you why you do not open a paypal or whatever account so you could get your money immediately?
the paper cheque takes weeks to reach you and another week to cash.
why would you even want to do that???

To avoid paying currency conversion fee to Paypal. Their rates are bad.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 20:27 »
+5
Yeah, I have a PayPal account, but I don't like paying all the BS fees PayPal charges, fees to transfer to my bank, fees to cut me a paper check, fees to pay fees for the privilege of paying fees.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 03:40 »
you have to pay a currency conversion fee on your cheque as well , withdrawing money on paypal is free and if you get paid in dollars there is no conversion fee and the agency mostly absorbs the paypal fee as well, i pay zero fees using paypal,

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 03:47 »
Use Paypal - will save yourself a lot of time and bother. And as others said you don't get charged any fees when you receive a payment from Pond5.

Alternatively just let the payment build up and request a cheque every 3 months or so.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 04:42 »
+2
... if you get paid in dollars there is no conversion fee ...
There is a conversion fee to convert from dollars.  :(

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 06:15 »
you have to pay a currency conversion fee on your cheque as well , withdrawing money on paypal is free and if you get paid in dollars there is no conversion fee and the agency mostly absorbs the paypal fee as well, i pay zero fees using paypal,

Seems you are from US or Zimbabwe :P

weathernewsonline

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 08:21 »
Middle finger?  You mean a half peace sign :)

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 12:01 »
how do you convert dollars to dollars??

ShadySue

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 12:16 »
+1
I convert dollars to UK, and get charged.

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 13:52 »
yes but im in the us so i don't have conversion fees

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 14:31 »
+3

Well here's the thing - not everyone is in the US.  The OP and others want to avoid Paypals conversion fees to convert to their local currency.

ShadySue

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 14:44 »
+1
That's fair enough, and I'm guessing from the Thanksgiving reference that the OP is in the US too; but remember that many people outwith the US read this forum, and most of us do incur fees.

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 16:27 »
i get that but i am not commenting on others just the op and thought he was from the us

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 19:56 »
Conversion fees to change currency? I have a UK and Hong Kong Paypal account and don't get charged anything changing from USD to GBP or HKD. Yes the Paypal exchange rate is a bit crappy but then I'd be charged by my bank if I paid in a USD cheque or received a foreign exchange bank transfer.

BTW a tip if you're sending or receiving money via Paypal - always mark the payment as a personal payment owed rather than a commercial transaction. The fees are much much lower.

Fees / exchange rates are the reality of doing transactions online.

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 21:31 »
There are several countries that use the dollar as a unit of currency. It isn't the same dollar.

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 12:24 »
At least 20 years ago when I worked at a Canadian head office they did a study and then - 20 years ago - determined that every time we cut a cheque manually it cost the company just short of $50.  I would request it, someone would cut it, Department manager approves it - 2 other people sign it.  Mail services carry it from one office to the next and back to me to stuff, stamp and mail.  Pond5 surely doesn't have as many hoops to jump, but I don't think $10 is unrealistic.  Just the postage is likely a buck.  Last time I ordered 125 company cheques it was $60 (48 cents each!)

ShadySue

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 14:38 »
Conversion fees to change currency? I have a UK and Hong Kong Paypal account and don't get charged anything changing from USD to GBP or HKD. Yes the Paypal exchange rate is a bit crappy but then I'd be charged by my bank if I paid in a USD cheque or received a foreign exchange bank transfer.
"This rate is our wholesale cost of foreign currency plus a currency conversion fee. This fee depends on the currency you are converting into. See the Fees > Additional Fees > Currency Conversion Fee section of the User Agreement for details."