pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Alamy Rejection Rate Has More than Doubled  (Read 29355 times)

« on: November 26, 2015, 23:33 »
Alamy must be doing really well...I think :P
In the last two months they are rejecting :more often and more radically
Their QC is not good for high volume contributors.
Good bye Alamy for a while....

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 09:09 »
+8
Never had a problem with them. Just uploaded 25 images no problem. I have almost 4000 images there and the only rejections i ever had were technical upload problems.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 18:31 by Mantis »

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 18:29 »
+4
If you're getting rejects at alamy you're probably pretty much screwed for SS

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 19:08 »
are they still rejecting you based on the first image??? if so, as woody says, you're going to have trouble with ss.
but really, if it is still based on the first image, you should be more critical on your batch of the at least first 10 or 20 images so it passes alamy's not so stringent group audit.
if you cannot have the even first 5 images up to par, it is no wonder you are having trouble with alamy.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 06:40 »
+12

Sorry - this is not correct. Our QC pass rate is currently 93% and we are passing more images than ever before.

If you're having problems, please email [email protected] and they'll be happy to help.

Cheers

Alamy

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:50 »
+2

Sorry - this is not correct. Our QC pass rate is currently 93% and we are passing more images than ever before.

If you're having problems, please email [email protected] and they'll be happy to help.

Cheers

Alamy

Well done Alamy and a lesson for other sites .......yes you can communicate with your  suppliers  :D

FlowerPower

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 17:38 »
+1
are they still rejecting you based on the first image??? if so, as woody says, you're going to have trouble with ss.
but really, if it is still based on the first image, you should be more critical on your batch of the at least first 10 or 20 images so it passes alamy's not so stringent group audit.
if you cannot have the even first 5 images up to par, it is no wonder you are having trouble with alamy.

When getting help from you is another place being not up to par. Alamy moves the rejected picture to the first spot, it isn't the first image submitted, it's to make it easy to see what was rejected. Another lost point on your credibility and made up facts about microstock list. You do that once a week, and better then anybody else here.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 17:45 »
I have not had any rejected in 2015. The latest batches submitted in August, September, and October had no rejections. So I have not really seen any changes with my submissions.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 19:39 »
+4
For those supporting Alamy, let me wish you good luck
Then please don't jump into conclusions. You don't know me because I am not prone to post in forums. I come here to read and LEARN.
I am upset with Alamy and I will explain why.

To the person who answered for Alamy, allow me to tell you that I am in conversations with Shiraz (a membersevice agent of yours). Read my emails to him before trying to look nice . What is more this is the second time I complaint because I find the policy of rejecting all batches on one image (or few) in a batch a DISRESPECT FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS.

First of all, let me tell you I have been an Alamy contributor for 6 years. I have 9000 images with them and I also submit news (yes they use to reject less).
With Shutterstock I have about 7000 images.
With Getty Images I have 8200+ exclusive images.
I also contribute to DT,Fotolia,Depositphotos,Pond5..you name it.

So please, save your You are not good enough or your You don't know..

At this stage of my career (I work full time in stock) some agencies have given me ftp2 accounts (backdoor) where keyworded images are uploaded and they submit them for me.
As you can imagine, to get here, I am very used to rejections and to all quality requirement for stock.
I pay people who work for me. I have become a high volume provider for important agencies and I was recently accepted in Corbis.

Enough said. What Alamy has made for me ($) I make in a month in Getty and SS (check the chart of earnings in this site). I only submit to Alamy because it fits the workflow and when the miracle of a sale happens the pay is nice. But you can not be mistreating photographers (my opinion) because you pay higher commissions. In my opinion, when you see an agency which pays much is because they don't sell much for the contributor.(they of course make money on the pool of photographers that they have)

As economics indicate, Alamy don't need me and I don't need them either. Stock is a two head monster where you have to keep customers and photographer happy.

The first case of rejection, I don't remember already ( I also complaint to them and didn't post in any forum). But in this second opportunity they rejected 667 images on the review of one image. The images ranged from Oct 27 till November 27. They were sent in 20 batches with different dates.I upload the images as they are ready. In my opinion if Alamy had rejected the batch with the 'soft image" (that was the reason) that would be be ok. I would understand. THAT IS MY MAIN POINT

In three days,since I posted here. I haven't submitted 200 images and 24 News Images (Global Climate Change March in Toronto)

Anyways, Good luck to all. I will take a break from Alamy and if sometime I hear things have changed (not because of me)  I might give them a try....

Hate me if you like, I am not an artist, I am a business person

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 20:05 by yelo34 »

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 20:12 »
+1

To the person who answered for Alamy, allow me to tell you that I am in conversations with Shiraz (a membersevice agent of yours). Read my emails to him before trying to look nice . What is more this is the second time I complaint because I find the policy of rejecting all batches on one image (or few) in a batch a DISRESPECT FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS.

The first case of rejection, I don't remember already ( I also complaint to them and didn't post in any forum). But in this second opportunity they rejected 667 images on the review of one image. The images ranged from Oct 27 till November 27. They were sent in 20 batches with different dates.I upload the images as they are ready. In my opinion if Alamy had rejected the batch with the 'soft image" (that was the reason) that would be be ok. I would understand. THAT IS MY MAIN POINT

Like it or not, consider it disrespect or not: that's their stated policy and we agreed to it when we signed up.
I don't know how you could bear to 'manage' 667 images in one fell swoop. I can only stand to do fewer than ten at a time, so wait until one batch is through before I send the next batch. Certainly, after a week I'd have guessed a rejection was likely, or possibly a glitch in the system. Whatever, I wouldn't have kept uploading until I knew what the issue was.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 20:15 by ShadySue »

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 20:28 »
+1

Like it or not, consider it disrespect or not: that's their stated policy and we agreed to it when we signed up.
I don't know how you could bear to 'manage' 667 images in one fell swoop. I can only stand to do fewer than ten at a time, so wait until one batch is through before I send the next batch. Certainly, after a week I'd have guessed a rejection was likely, or possibly a glitch in the system. Whatever, I wouldn't have kept uploading until I knew what the issue was.

When I signed up, they rejected only the batch in which they found the  image with problems. However, since back then (2006) they had rejected NONE of my batches till two or three months ago. All that coming with the added value of rejecting MANY BATCHES ON THE INSPECTION OF ONE (or few) IMAGE IN THE FIRST BATCH. I respect your agreeing with their policy but the way it is right now it DOESN'T FIT MY WORKFLOW so I WONT WORK EXTRA JUST FOR THEM...Hope you don't mind how I do it because that is my business model which I won't reveal...

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 21:14 »

When getting help from you is another place being not up to par. Alamy moves the rejected picture to the first spot, it isn't the first image submitted, it's to make it easy to see what was rejected. Another lost point on your credibility and made up facts about microstock list. You do that once a week, and better then anybody else here.

LOL you must follow my every comment like a sick puppy following his shadow. I must have hurt you really bad in your past life for you to be so totally anal about every little comment i make.

don't keep following my a*se , you must hurt yourself when i start to f*rt  8)

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 00:06 »
+1
I just got my second failed QC after my second timeout. I checked the image and I could see why they might flag it. Not one of my best quality images but passable everywhere else. I can understand their need to have super high quality but I think I'm gonna give myself a timeout to go invest time on other things.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 05:12 »
+4
I like their policy.  Just look at the number of images they have, over 60 million.  The one rejection I have had in over 2,000 images was fair.  They never reject for subjective things like low commercial value, that can annoy me with the other sites.  If people have problems with alamy, they must be doing something technically wrong, the bar isn't set too high.  Just take a bit of care with what you upload and only upload small batches if you can't get to their technical standards consistently.

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 07:46 »

Nothing personal but we are talking about Alamy in this FORUM.
This image was taken from Alamy Public Group in Yahoo which they sponsor.
The intention of the group is to discuss Alamy processes.
The image speaks for itself regarding Alamy communication with contributors  :D
You can read it two ways: either they are so good no communication is needed or contributor got disappointed and they don't communicate any more

The link: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AlamyPro/info
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 07:58 by yelo34 »

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 08:20 »
+3
^^^Or nobody bothers with a yahoo group when they answer questions in their own forum and here.

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 09:14 »
+7

This image was taken from Alamy Public Group in Yahoo which they sponsor.

The link: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AlamyPro/info

Sorry, but that's totally incorrect and a little misleading. We do not sponsor anything on the Yahoo group. This was a group set up before we had our own forum and it was for photographers only. The Yahoo forum was set up for photographers by the photographers - we had absolutely no involvement and we didn't qualify for membership so never posted there! We couldn't even read it as it was a closed group.

We set up our own forum (which is very active) which we continue to run and we monitor the threads here to help out where we can. You can also get in touch with us via the usual social media channels and via email.

Our QC policy has not changed. We believe that with our current system, it is very easy to get images online with us. We add 25,000 - 35,000 per day. The pass rate for November was 93%. The essence of our submission policy is that we trust our photographers to get things technically right with the images. We just do a spot check. If anything fails in that spot check, we can't trust the rest of the images you have awaiting QC so they are pushed back to you and you're asked to re-evaluate them. We've looked again at the image that caused your recent failure and we're 100% satisfied that it was the correct decision. We do not have the resources to then go through each of the other images you have sent to see what is passable, it has to go back to you for that and you are welcome to resubmit if you wish. We're very clear on this policy and sorry it has caused confusion in this case but for the vast majority, it works well.

Cheers

James A

Alamy
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:25 by Alamy »

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 17:57 »
Hey, this is my first post. Never done this before. I've been with Alamy for years, with thousands of images online. I've not had a reject since 2012. A couple of weeks ago I submitted some images taken with my camera phone, thinking that they now accept them. WRONG! Only for news. So.....rejected! My next submission was a single scanned film image, one that was returned by Corbis after my contract expired. This single and the following submission were not QC'd for about 10 days, and when I enquired about this delay I was told (actually more like disciplined) by Shiraz that constant rejection slowed up QC by as much as 28 days! By the way, the scanned film image was rejected for being soft. It has sold over 350 times on the Corbis site.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 18:47 »
Hey, this is my first post. Never done this before. I've been with Alamy for years, with thousands of images online. I've not had a reject since 2012. A couple of weeks ago I submitted some images taken with my camera phone, thinking that they now accept them. WRONG! Only for news. So.....rejected! My next submission was a single scanned film image, one that was returned by Corbis after my contract expired. This single and the following submission were not QC'd for about 10 days, and when I enquired about this delay I was told (actually more like disciplined) by Shiraz that constant rejection slowed up QC by as much as 28 days! By the way, the scanned film image was rejected for being soft. It has sold over 350 times on the Corbis site.
They have a site and app for mobile phone images, Stockimo.  You can only submit from an iphone or ipad.  There's a list of acceptable cameras for the main alamy site and no camera phones have made it yet.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 20:37 »
 We've looked again at the image that caused your recent failure and we're 100% satisfied that it was the correct decision. We do not have the resources to then go through each of the other images you have sent to see what is passable, it has to go back to you
Alamy
[/quote]

THIS IS INTENDED FOR THE PERSON CHECKING THIS FORUM ON ALAMY

The image of the Yahoo group is there for everybody to see. I just thought of sharing it for information sake now that I am looking more carefully at Alamy. Thanks for clearing that for us.

In the same way I found the letter from EPUK about your new contract and how affects photographers, specially with retroactive licenses (http://www.epuk.org/news/an-open-letter-from-epuk-to-alamy-regarding-the-new-contributor-contract-terms) and also your reply (http://www.epuk.org/news/alamy-responds-to-epuk-s-open-letter) (BOTH SIDES TO BE FAIR).

However you use the Yahoo image and entangle everything. Then you dodge MAIN POINT OF THE COMPLAINT and/or DISCUSSION

Regarding the image, I never defended an image. With the workflow that I have, a soft image can go in a batch. WHAT IS WRONG IS REJECTING 20 BATCHES OF 600+ IMAGES THAT TOOK A MONTH TO WORK BASED ON ONLY ONE IMAGE. I never intended you to check every image. I have never intended you to change your policy. All that is up to you. It is your business and you know how to run it. The same way I know how to run mine. What I am saying is that the policy is a DISRESPECT FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS (my opinion) and by the way, doesn't show that trust you say that you have in YOUR PHOTOGRAPHERS

THAT IS THE POINT. THAT IS THE POINT....

Thanks for the resubmission offer but I kindly decline
My time is more productive some other way, specially when I look at your Earning Rating of 5.7 (9th place) which I see to my right in this screen

Good bye for now
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 21:09 by yelo34 »

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 21:04 »
I have made $35,000 on Alamy.

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 21:09 »

Okay maybe I'll give it another try with some better quality stuff in smaller batches  ;D

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 21:10 »

How many images and in how much time?

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 21:47 »
I find Alamy to be one of the more reasonable sites for submission.  I love that I do not have to waste time keywording images etc until after they have passed QC.