pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Illustrator 8, Illustrator 10 versions for illustrations. Why?  (Read 9723 times)

Chichikov

« on: November 27, 2015, 02:20 »
Somebody can explain me why microstocks sites ask Illustrator 8 or illustrator 10 versions for illustrations?

Even if Illustrator 8 (1998) and Illustrator 10 (2001) can run (?) on the computers from the last 10 years, these computers can also run CS4 without any problem.
So, why not at least CS4?

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 02:39 »
It's to do with compatibility with other vector programs apparently. I only use illustrator so can't comment further.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 15:57 »
Mac OSX El Capitan and CS4 is incompatible!
It is really moronic how they expect you to keep spending and keep spending to get the latest software when the old one was just fine!
On my illustrator CS4, every time I try to copy attributes from one object to another, the program just crashes!!! After spending some time with adobe support I was told it is no longer compatible with my operating system on my imac... OMG  :'(

hartlet12

• Illustrator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 02:09 »
Its for compatibility. Not all of us use updated software versions.

Chichikov

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 02:36 »
Mac OSX El Capitan and CS4 is incompatible!
It is really moronic how they expect you to keep spending and keep spending to get the latest software when the old one was just fine!
On my illustrator CS4, every time I try to copy attributes from one object to another, the program just crashes!!! After spending some time with adobe support I was told it is no longer compatible with my operating system on my imac... OMG  :'(
If the old software was fine for you nobody obliges you to use El Capitan too
Snow Leopard was and still is a very good system.
I use it on an old Mac with CS4 and I am happy with it.
But on a newer machine it would be absurd to not use the latest software (generally developed and optimized for these new machines)

I agree that they always push you, in a way or in an other, to spend more and more buying new software versions even if it is not absolutely necessary (Mac Os is free btw)

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 07:20 »
+1
They're after the lowest common denominator across all possible applications.

Chichikov

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 09:09 »

Yes, it was my thought too.
But I am not sure that today it still exists usable applications not able to open at least CS4 (for this I asked)

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 10:05 »
+5

But I am not sure that today it still exists usable applications not able to open at least CS4 (for this I asked)

I think the concern is not with Adobe apps but being able to open the illustrations in
Coral draw, Inkscape, Serif Draw, Affinity Designer, etc...

Chichikov

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 11:30 »

I think the concern is not with Adobe apps but being able to open the illustrations in

So Coral draw, Inkscape, Serif Draw, Affinity Designer, cannot open an ai CS4 file?
(I was thinking to live in 2015 :D :D )

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 15:22 »
+3

So Coral draw, Inkscape, Serif Draw, Affinity Designer, cannot open an ai CS4 file?

Illustrator 8 supports EPS 3.0 as its maximum version of eps coding, which is the last eps version that supported only simple vector shapes, fills and outlines. All other effects added on later (such as layer effects, transparencies, live objects, and the many many other complicated effects) are not supported in eps 3.0 and are instead simplified into that crazy looking stepped chopped look or rasterized for compatibility.

The coding in an illustrator file for transparency, shadowing and other modern effects are coded completely differently than the same effects in an affinity design or corel draw file. To cross code these effects and maintain the same look would be a daunting task for app developers. Thats why a simple FILE/OPEN will not work with an illustrator file saved above version 8. If sites microstock sites started accepting illustrator cs or above, then users of corel, affinity etc would either get incorrect rendering results when opening a file... or an error and no file at all... which would result in the most annoying thing ever - RETURNED SALES (uhg, just the words make me cringe).

As much as all the other apps cant read modern AI files, AI cant read any modern files from all of the other vector drawing apps either (AI can read Corel 11, circa 2001ish, and cant open affinity files at all) so it is good to have at least a baseline where basic drawings will still be compatible across many different platforms.

Illustrator 8 (EPS 3.0) is that happy medium where ALL applications can open ALL files. It's annoying but necessary.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 15:26 »
+2
I just draw stuff and bang it out in the format the agencies ask for and then get on with the next one.

Chichikov

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 15:54 »

Illustrator 8 supports EPS 3.0 as its maximum version of eps coding, which is the last eps version that supported only simple vector shapes, fills and outlines. All other effects added on later (such as layer effects, transparencies, live objects, and the many many other complicated effects) are not supported in eps 3.0 and are instead simplified into that crazy looking stepped chopped look or rasterized for compatibility.

The coding in an illustrator file for transparency, shadowing and other modern effects are coded completely differently than the same effects in an affinity design or corel draw file. To cross code these effects and maintain the same look would be a daunting task for app developers. Thats why a simple FILE/OPEN will not work with an illustrator file saved above version 8. If sites microstock sites started accepting illustrator cs or above, then users of corel, affinity etc would either get incorrect rendering results when opening a file... or an error and no file at all... which would result in the most annoying thing ever - RETURNED SALES (uhg, just the words make me cringe).

As much as all the other apps cant read modern AI files, AI cant read any modern files from all of the other vector drawing apps either (AI can read Corel 11, circa 2001ish, and cant open affinity files at all) so it is good to have at least a baseline where basic drawings will still be compatible across many different platforms.

Illustrator 8 (EPS 3.0) is that happy medium where ALL applications can open ALL files. It's annoying but necessary.

Yeah! +100