pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Article about Offset and Shutterstock on vice.com  (Read 8649 times)

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 07:51 »
+2
Its an interesting article, but still doesnt explain why they dont source authentic images from across the globe from their crowd sourced community and then move them upstream to Offset.

You cant get more real than what the real world shots. They have the best variety at their fingertips, but are not taking advantage of it.

Would need a special queue though, to allow real world lighting, out of focus and smartphone filtering.

But all agencies are calling for "sanitized" real world images. Sometimes they look much more artificial and contrived than normal stock photos.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:45 »
+2
I think they think it would somehow pollute the purity of Offset if they allowed the same photographers to contribute to both, even if there was series exclusivity.

I don't think buyers would care, they just want great images.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 09:35 »
They have artists contributing to both, either directly or via agencies like blend,westend etc...

If you want real world images, the real world is obviously the best source.

But it is up to them, offset seems to work financially for them and is still a tiny collection.

We will see how they develop it, they are still new to macrostock.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:57 »
+1
They have artists contributing to both, either directly or via agencies like blend,westend etc...

Ah, I did not know that, sorry.

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:05 »
+2
I just learned about Offset recently. Seems like a good move for the company known for cheap subscriptions to move upmarket into macro-level pricing. 

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 10:24 »
+2
that made me chuckle, a good move but at the same time for a while now theyve put in a aweful lot of effort to reduce micro earnings

op

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 16:25 »
+1
I don't know if Offset is really working and we don't have any proof that it is or not..

I've been contacted by them early this year as they were working on opening Offset video this summer and still no launching so far..

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 17:32 »
Well, there are enough artists with sales there, so they seem to be working.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 18:06 by cobalt »

PaulieWalnuts

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 00:22 »
+4
that made me chuckle, a good move but at the same time for a while now theyve put in a aweful lot of effort to reduce micro earnings

Glad I could be your entertainment. I'm guessing with Offset the payout isn't .25 cents on a $500 sale. My point was that with SS moving upmarket it may be good for overall prices in the market to also start moving back up.

MxR

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 02:21 »
I have a recent few photos in Offset and offset works.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 03:45 »
+3
paulie, offset is 2.5 years old i havent experience the ripple effect you are mentioning, forgive me my sarcasm but you are a bit behind the news regarding offset. dont you think its ironic that a company reducing royalties on micropayments is selling images for 560 on the other hand and theyve kept the royalties a secret - scott braut 'not officially disclosing our royalty structure' - which probably means its higher than the 23-28% theyre currently paying ss contribs

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 18:28 »
Interesting article.  I was curious about this: "Unlike Shutterstock, Offset consumers aren't offered the chance to apply to contribute images to the site. Rather, the team at Offset have been reaching out to photo studios like Good Brigade, but also professional artists and successful features photographers."

Offset do have a link to apply to contribute on their website.  I have not done so as yet, but I am in the processes of building a portfolio site to do so (at Offset and elsewhere).  Given the comments in the article, what is the point of the "apply to contribute" link then?  Has anyone been accepted by Offset applying this way?  Or only by direct approach?

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 19:26 »
+1

Hi Jasmin, I was invited some while ago to contribute to OFFSET. I haven't sent them anything yet - mainly because I haven't heard of anyone selling anything there. Can you say a little more about what you know of sales potential on OFFSET? Thanks

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 19:33 »
Shutterstock and Offset SUCK!

PaulieWalnuts

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 19:42 »
+5
Given the comments in the article, what is the point of the "apply to contribute" link then?

Maybe the article isn't accurate. Or more likely it's to give buyers the perception there's separation between cheap subscription amateurs and special premium photographers. And maybe also scarcity. Nothing makes people want something more than what they can't have. Ya know, like the elite VIP club where you're special.

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 20:25 »
+1

Glad I could be your entertainment. I'm guessing with Offset the payout isn't .25 cents on a $500 sale. My point was that with SS moving upmarket it may be good for overall prices in the market to also start moving back up.

agree PW. not just moving micro in the right direction (up)
but also give Offset some sort of a trad stock perception. there are lots of non-micro situations
we can contribute to Offset once ss show us there is a market for higher earning images.

as someone once said here, we learn to give low cost productions to micro
but other than locally, we do not have yet a trad agency i like to subscribe.

Given the comments in the article, what is the point of the "apply to contribute" link then?

Maybe the article isn't accurate. Or more likely it's to give buyers the perception there's separation between cheap subscription amateurs and special premium photographers. And maybe also scarcity. Nothing makes people want something more than what they can't have. Ya know, like the elite VIP club where you're special.
and no, as you said, i too am not looking to join some elite club either.

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 21:10 »
+1

Hi Jasmin, I was invited some while ago to contribute to OFFSET. I haven't sent them anything yet - mainly because I haven't heard of anyone selling anything there. Can you say a little more about what you know of sales potential on OFFSET? Thanks

I know several offset photographers. They do sell, but I'm not sure how well. Most of them don't submit to microstock, so that explains why they are not here.

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 05:35 »

Thank you

I know several offset photographers. They do sell, but I'm not sure how well. Most of them don't submit to microstock, so that explains why they are not here.

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 10:51 »

you're spot on! I was trying to say something along the same lines -- in this case limited to Offset only, I know , strange for me ;) on the background of some of my other posts here --, giving some reasons the moderators of this oh-so "politically correct" group here apparently didn't like. Apparently, one must not have any opinion of one's own, and one most not think at all, else...

So my post was removed without giving any reason nor communication about it. Silently at that, as if nobody noticed, what a bunch of cowards. Very "nice" and also telling as to some people's political culture, thank-you-very-much. So again, I fully agree with your opinion, @MisterElemnts. Trying to voice my support for your point of view again here.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:56 by stuttershock »

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 12:10 »
+1

you're spot on! I was trying to say something along the same lines -- in this case limited to Offset only, I know , strange for me ;) on the background of some of my other posts here --, giving some reasons the moderators of this oh-so "politically correct" group here apparently didn't like. Apparently, one must not have any opinion of one's own, and one most not think at all, else...

So my post was removed without giving any reason nor communication about it. Silently at that, as if nobody noticed, what a bunch of cowards. Very "nice" and also telling as to some people's political culture, thank-you-very-much. So again, I fully agree with your opinion, @MisterElemnts. Trying to voice my support for your point of view again here.

If your deleted post was as incomprehensible as this one, it won't be much missed.