MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: 500px beside microstock ?  (Read 37988 times)

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 07:32 »
+1
Concerning selling photos on 500px:

- You can upload small resolution photo with your watermark there, so I'm uploading 960px photo with my watermark. If somebody want to take that and bother with removing watermark...

- In marketplace you upload full version, they downsize the photo to 900px and add small watermark.

I recently found out that there are online services where you can report the illegal download of your photo and then they have lawyers that go further. I learned that some photographers earn more from what they get from those agencies then from selling their photos :)

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 07:36 »
Hi,

Can you tell me please about that online services ?

Thx

:)

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 08:08 »
Hi Sebastian, here is the one, I've heard a nice stories about them:

https://www.imagerights.com/

I've just subscribed there, but still did not check who stole my photos. I still don't dare to do it :)

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2016, 08:17 »
Thank you samards  :)

I will look later and see if I will find some of my files over the Internet.

8)

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 19:01 »
+1
I really would love to try 500pix, but I am waiting for the professional watermark. Has anybody heard anything, when they will implement it?

Any other upcoming improvements?

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2016, 19:19 »
+4
I really would love to try 500pix, but I am waiting for the professional watermark. Has anybody heard anything, when they will implement it?

Any other upcoming improvements?

I only know that their sales have improved.

Even if I had a very good start with SS this month, 500px is, surprisingly, my leading agency for February. At least for the time being. It only took 3 massive sales, to claim the first spot. 3 massive sales against ~400 micro-sales on SS.

These guys deserve a lot of encouragements. They are driving the market in the opposite direction!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 19:50 by Zero Talent »

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2016, 01:41 »
+5
I really, really want to try them. I just dont understand what is so difficult about applying a professional watermark. Without that option, it is simply not artist friendly. The people that dont want one can upload without, those that do, please give us a professional solution.

The only thing I could do is give them content I dont really like, but that would somehow defeat the purpose.

The whole stock industry is looking for a fair trade place they can rally behind. I know many people who are waiting for them to sort out their watermark problem.

Great to hear about the sales.

Eta: when my files where available on Microsoft without a watermark they were taken more than 1.3 million times, I just dont want to go through something like that again.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 06:27 by cobalt »

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2016, 03:02 »
+2
The watermark issue is what is stopping me from uploading about 30k files there. Waiting for a change that could of been made in a few minutes if they would be really interested in us.

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2016, 03:30 »
+2

Even if I had a very good start with SS this month, 500px is, surprisingly, my leading agency for February. At least for the time being. It only took 3 massive sales, to claim the first spot. 3 massive sales against ~400 micro-sales on SS.

Very good !

I have only 60 images and zero sales after 5 months.

How many followers have you ?

And how many point (pulse) reach your pictures (mine 85-98 ..., all my shots are popular ...) ?

Thanks, Bauman.

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2016, 04:43 »
+1
I dont have 30k for them, just some files that I havent placed anywhere yet, not even my own website, because I want to keep them together as a series and I really dont know where to go?

I would also love to have a place where I am in full control of my portfolio, without people suggesting I should shoot a specific style. But keeping the full series together is my main concern. They dont have to take them all for the higher price point, as long as the customer can find my series together in my portfolio. As long as my content is respected they can mix and match whatever they want for any of their edited collections.

Somewhere where I can slowly build something and focus on what really interests me.

A place that wants to be a longterm home for artists.

But I dont know if 500pix has what I am looking for or if this is their vision at all. Basically I am looking for a personal portfolio site with good community vibe. I could open my own webshop, but I love working with a large community. I really miss that.

The unprofessional watermark is really strange. I have seen the way my work gets stolen, even from my own website, as soon as I put files out without sufficient protection.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:01 by cobalt »

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2016, 06:31 »
+3

Very good !

I have only 60 images and zero sales after 5 months.

How many followers have you ?

And how many point (pulse) reach your pictures (mine 85-98 ..., all my shots are popular ...) ?

Thanks, Bauman.
I have 370 followers, but this is not reason I uploaded there. The marketplace is. I only have a fraction of my port there ~300 photos.

The 3 photos I sold on February have reached 91.1, 91.6, 97.8 pulse.
But I also sold "unpopular" photos (eg pulse 61, 74, etc).
If you seek popularity, you must upload your photos one by one, maybe one per day.
I uploaded in bulk, directly into sets (now galleries) and only a small amount of photos is visible on my profile. However, all uploaded photos are visible on marketplace. Some "unpopular" photos are even curated into their more expensive "prime" collection.
500px stated that popularity is only a minor factor in their search algorithm and sales are not really driven by it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 06:37 by Zero Talent »

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2016, 08:06 »
+1
Thank you so much Z.T. for complete answer  :)

And congrats for sales !

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2016, 10:45 »
+1
Thank you so much Z.T. for complete answer  :)

And congrats for sales !

You're welcome and thanks.
Just for the record, SS seized back the top position today. But 500px remains a solid runner-up.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 10:51 by Zero Talent »

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2016, 12:16 »
+3
Oops! Too soon! 500px is not giving up! Another massive $175 sale. 4th sale for this month. It only has 74 pulse, so not a "popular" photo ;)

Now please beat that SS :)

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2016, 12:36 »
+1
Your sales are very tempting, but I have some sensitive people shots with a disabled child. Ill have to wait until they sort out their watermark problem :(

Still, its good to hear they have sales. Id love to see them grow because they are an open plattform.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 13:13 by cobalt »

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2016, 12:37 »
+1
Oops! Too soon! 500px is not giving up! Another massive $175 sale. 4th sale for this month. It only has 74 pulse, so not a "popular" photo ;)

$175 is it your commission or is it what the customer paid? Sorry for asking ;)

And one more thing - what kind of image it was? Just curious, coz they don't really sell that mainstream stock content, right?

PS and congrats on your success, of course ;D

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2016, 12:43 »
I lost interest in 500px when they hired the guy from IS as their new top dog.  I figured its just a matter of time before the start the 'exciting announcements' and didn't want to waste my time uploading hundreds of photos with so much doubt about the future. 

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2016, 13:07 »
+3

And one more thing - what kind of image it was? Just curious, coz they don't really sell that mainstream stock content, right?

Thanks for your nice words, but please excuse me if I can't disclose what kind of image it is.
$175 is my 70% share, so the customer paid $250 for it (see the attachment)

One more thing. It's not my intention to brag about these sales. I only want to encourage 500px to continue like this and grow further. I'm sure they read this stuff.  ;)

I lost interest in 500px when they hired the guy from IS as their new top dog.  I figured its just a matter of time before the start the 'exciting announcements' and didn't want to waste my time uploading hundreds of photos with so much doubt about the future.

Until then, there is nothing wrong in enjoying the ride!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 15:54 by Zero Talent »

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2016, 13:42 »
+1

Thanks for your nice words, but please excuse me if I can't disclose what kind of image it is.
$175 is my 70% share, so the customer paid $250 for it (see the attachment)

One more thing. It's not my intention to brag about these sales. I only want to encourage 500px to continue like this and grow further. I'm sure they read this stuff.  ;)

Ok, got it. I appreciate you sharing all this, encouraging enough for me to give them a try too ;D

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2016, 18:12 »
+1

Until then, there is nothing wrong in enjoying the ride!

So true! It's always a gamble with these companies.  I guess it's become hard for us to believe that there's a new one with a business model other than "get to the bottom even faster".   So, I should probably upload a hundred or so.  Now if I could just remember how 500px works - it's changed a couple of times already - something about getting an upload approved, or "curated" into a "core collection".... or was that somebody else?   Too late. I figured it out once, now I've forgotten.  Oh well.

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2016, 16:20 »
+1
Some more info needed, please!

So, I'm ready to start an affair with 500px :D

What I was wondering is:
1) I understand I can upload there just about anything, but am I allowed to license the photos that I have already available for sale elsewhere, or only exclusive content can be licensed?

2) Am I allowed to license editorial content at 500px? I mean is there an option of editorial at all?

Thank you!

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2016, 16:51 »
+1
1) yes (there is a checkbox for exclusive photos)
2) yes (checkbox for commercial or editorial license)

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2016, 17:17 »
1) yes (there is a checkbox for exclusive photos)
2) yes (checkbox for commercial or editorial license)

Great it's that easy and thank you!

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2016, 11:33 »
+4
I would like to sell at 500px but the watermark is again bugging me. It's not improved ? It doesn't matter to you that their watermark is so small and don't protect our images well ?

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2016, 12:52 »
+3
Those who are willing to pay for image will pay for it. Those who want to steal it will do it anyway.