MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: 500px beside microstock ?  (Read 38021 times)

« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2016, 19:03 »
+1
One concern I have re 500px is the extremely slow review process, it takes them weeks to approve a few of my images for their marketplace.

Is there a review process at all? I thought once I tick "marketplace" and choose the commercial or editorial it is available for sale straight away...

When I went just now to their marketplace page and searched for one of my photos by keywords - it was there with prices ready to be purchased (I just added that one today)

« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2016, 19:29 »
+3
One concern I have re 500px is the extremely slow review process, it takes them weeks to approve a few of my images for their marketplace.

Is there a review process at all? I thought once I tick "marketplace" and choose the commercial or editorial it is available for sale straight away...

When I went just now to their marketplace page and searched for one of my photos by keywords - it was there with prices ready to be purchased (I just added that one today)
The review process is rather long, unless someone wants to buy one of your photos.
If that's the case, your image is reviewed immediately. You might even get an email from the reviwer asking for specific changes (eg i've been asked to add extra copy space on top of one of my photos).

Go to post #16 for more details.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

PZF

« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2016, 03:25 »
+1
Not meaning to hijack the thread, and I know that in the past I have solved this problem BUT.....

having sent a low res pic with my watermark for community, where do I go to add a high res one for sale? My low res one has gone there.....!

500px have just sent me to their info page which seems to be out of date - or not resemble mine, anyway.

Help appreciated.....

« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2016, 04:15 »
+1
Not meaning to hijack the thread, and I know that in the past I have solved this problem BUT.....

having sent a low res pic with my watermark for community, where do I go to add a high res one for sale? My low res one has gone there.....!

500px have just sent me to their info page which seems to be out of date - or not resemble mine, anyway.

Help appreciated.....

Go to https://500px.com/settings/store and click on photos, there will be column "original photo" and one "high resolution photo", in the "high" column click on "choose file" and upload the hi-rez image.

PZF

« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2016, 04:42 »
+1
Thankyou Shiyali! I will bookmark it! Have a nice day!

« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2016, 10:11 »
+1

The review process is rather long, unless someone wants to buy one of your photos.
If that's the case, your image is reviewed immediately. You might even get an email from the reviwer asking for specific changes (eg i've been asked to add extra copy space on top of one of my photos).

Go to post #16 for more details.

Now I understand ;D thanks for clarifying all these things!

« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2016, 11:20 »
How long does it take between requesting the money and actually getting the money on you paypal acc.?

« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2016, 11:53 »
+2
How long does it take between requesting the money and actually getting the money on you paypal acc.?

40 days after the sale, before being able to request payments.
And a few days max after payment request to see the money on Paypal, so no different than other websites using explicit payment requests (e.g. DT, FT)
The payment request I made on Feb 9th appeared on Paypal the same day (see attached).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 15:56 by Zero Talent »

« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2016, 12:04 »
+3
Yeah, I know that you have to wait 40 days before transaction is completed. Long time to wait, I first thought that the sale didn't go through, but then I read FAQ and saw you have to wait 45 days for transaction to be completed.

Anyway, my first payout request, I hope there are more to come.

Thanks for the info.

« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2016, 12:08 »
Yeah, I know that you have to wait 40 days before transaction is completed. Long time to wait, I first thought that the sale didn't go through, but then I read FAQ and saw you have to wait 45 days for transaction to be completed.

Anyway, my first payout request, I hope there are more to come.

Thanks for the info.

Right, it is 45 days not 40. Long time indeed, but not longer than the average waiting time for Alamy or iStock PP sales.

« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2016, 13:02 »
+1
I don't understand how 500px work ...
What's the deal with marketplace check box   ?
How we upload model release ?

« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2016, 13:12 »
If you check the marketplace box you get links to upload model and property release.

Nice to see so many people giving them a try. Maybe if enough of us upload good content they will take us more seriously with our concerns.

Finding a place that can work as my personal shop, is my goal for this year. If I cant find a suitable agency, then I will give up and start to work with Photoshelter.

I understand that most money will probably come from the small, niche agencies but I also need a home base where I am the sole ruler of my domain :)

« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2016, 13:12 »
I'm confused too.  And these same questions keep coming up, over and over.  WHY in the heck can't a company like 500px have someone spend an hour writing up a clear, one page "here's how it works" and post it on the site? 

« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2016, 13:15 »
+3
Finding a place that can work as my personal shop, is my goal for this year. If I cant find a suitable agency, then I will give up and start to work with Photoshelter.
I'm disappointed that 500px gave up on prints.  That leaves the art print market to FAA, a company that leaves a lot to be desired.   Crated appears to be a dead site walking.

« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2016, 13:17 »
+1
I'm confused too.  And these same questions keep coming up, over and over.  WHY in the heck can't a company like 500px have someone spend an hour writing up a clear, one page "here's how it works" and post it on the site?

"here's how it works":

https://support.500px.com/hc/en-us/sections/200579307-Information-for-Contributors

« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2016, 13:22 »
+3
"here's how it works":

https://support.500px.com/hc/en-us/sections/200579307-Information-for-Contributors

I've seen the FAQ. It doesn't say much.

Looking at that FAQ again I see that if we want lower res watermarked versions for display, we have to upload them separately ourselves.  Good grief.   Like others have said, how hard can that be to implement on the server side? 

« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2016, 13:28 »
+5
"here's how it works":

I've seen the FAQ. It doesn't say much.

Looking at that FAQ again I see that if we want lower res watermarked versions for display, we have to upload them separately ourselves.  Good grief.   Like others have said, how hard can that be to implement on the server side?

It says everything I needed to know, in order to start selling! Just spend 5 minutes reading and clicking all links!

"Good grief"! So much negativity! How much spoon feeding you need?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 13:33 by Zero Talent »

« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2016, 14:20 »
+6
I just uploaded a couple of photos and after looking around, remembered why I decided against 500px long ago.  By default, they display your image as large as your display will permit.  I was able to easily screen-grab a copy more than 2K pixels across; you could go bigger if you wanted to stitch.  That's plenty big enough to attract thieves, so your best images will soon be on T-shirts and mousepads all over the web - and that washed-out watermark in the corner isn't going to be much protection. 

The only way to avoid this is to prepare and upload your own reduced size copies for display - apparently, 500px isn't interested in writing the small amount of server-side code it takes to do this automatically, like every other photo sales site. 

I'm not spending my time doing this for hundreds of photos.  So, 500px is off my list until they get their act together. I already have enough stolen copies of my work in circulation, I don't need this insanity.  Just my own opinion, flame if you will, but there it is.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 14:56 by stockastic »

PZF

« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2016, 03:26 »
+1
And if you sign up for a year to see how things go, what statistics you get for your money etc, they set up a Recurring payment - automatically - which you then need to stop.
Grrrr.....
There must be better options for more arty pics.....!

« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2016, 12:40 »
+3
500px needs to get the basics in place. I get the impression their original plan didn't work, they cut way back (dropped prints) and probably reduced staff, and development of the site stalled.  There's no sensible reason why they couldn't generate smaller previews, other than total lack of developer resources.  Recently they brought in Kelly Thompson, of iStock infamy, which is probably a bad sign but might also indicate some new investment.

I had hopes for Crated.com but that site seems to be dormant.  Every once in a great while someone posts here about a sale, but there's just zero buzz.  It doesn't help that they have no forum and no hit counters.  I think they started off on the wrong foot, trying to create an artsy, elite image and being too exclusive in who they 'curated'.  Now they've gone to the other extreme and are letting in all sorts of junk.  No clear direction.

I'd really like to see Sean Broihier cash out and sell FAA to someone who would invest in modernizing and updating it.  That might happen. 

Zazzle, RedBubble, CafePress, are all a complete waste of time IMHO. 

There has to be a significant opportunity here for someone to put the pieces together and just do it right.

« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2016, 13:12 »
+1
500px needs to get the basics in place. I get the impression their original plan didn't work, they cut way back (dropped prints)

Their original plan didn't work, indeed.

However, their current plan works much, much better, despite some naysayers attempts to find flaws in it.
It even works much better than most of other plans available on the market.

Btw, did you ever sell a print on 500px, since you hang on so much on prints?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 13:15 by Zero Talent »

jonbull

This user is banned.
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2016, 07:12 »
500px needs to get the basics in place. I get the impression their original plan didn't work, they cut way back (dropped prints)

However, their current plan works much, much better, despite some naysayers attempts to find flaws in it.

personally i don't believe when people say they sell a lot in 500px....it seems something a bit cooked for unknown interest.....u told us u have few images but you are selling so much...ithout have a look at your portfolio in 500 px i'm sorry i don't believe a single words.
in addiction what genre are you selling?

« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2016, 07:27 »
+2
I dont know his portfolio, but I am ready to believe him. There are only 3.7 million images in the marketplace right now and a lot of the content comes from people interested in art, not stock photography. So the few people that do real, professional macrostock stand out and will get more sales than the rest.

Exclusive images seem to be less than 200k. So right now, this is a tiny collection with lots of holes from a stock perspective.

But apparently millions of files havent been inspected for the marketplace, once they do and volume goes up, it will probably be much harder again, unless their buyer base grows significantly.

In the end it is all about visibility to customer base ratio. Small collection size, higher visibility.

As soon as they have 60 million files, it will be just as difficult as everywhere else. Unless they really do something with their public galleries, at least they are doing something with that.

Now if they would allow me to subscribe to a gallery, instead of just the artist...I would have real hope...because that is the one single thing that all the customers need, but no agency is offering them...the personalized feed from interesting lightboxes...only food for the food designer, only landscapes for the outdoor magazine...

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 07:30 by cobalt »

« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2016, 07:43 »
+5

personally i don't believe when people say they sell a lot in 500px....it seems something a bit cooked for unknown interest.....u told us u have few images but you are selling so much...ithout have a look at your portfolio in 500 px i'm sorry i don't believe a single words.

Well... I'm not here to convince you. I can only assure you that I have no other special interest in this agency, except for selling my work through. You are free not to believe a "single word" of what I said, neither none of the screenshots I posted.

It is funny that, on one hand you don't believe what I said, but, on the other hand, you are interested to know what kind of images I sell  :D  So, please do your own research.  ;)

As I already said it before, who is smart enough to listen, listens.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:05 by Zero Talent »

« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2016, 08:03 »
+2

"I don't believe you are selling, but what genre are you selling?" ;D ;D

There are quite a few people here reporting sales, why doubting?