MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Network Rail images taken down  (Read 4233 times)

« on: February 03, 2016, 12:25 »
Had an email from Alamy and all my pictures taken in Birmingham New Street/Grand Central have been taken down. You can still search for these images, but when you click on them the page cannot be found.

This seems to cover all Network Rail stations.

Some images still on Getty.

newbielink:http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/55286.aspx [nonactive]

How to submit a station photo

We are seeking source photographs of every GB National Rail station

Wed like to invite all the budding photographers out there to take a picture of your local station or stations and submit them through to us.

Well pick the best picture for each station and upload it to the page with a credit showing who took it. Well also showcase our favourite entries on our Facebook page & Pinterest gallery.

Submitting your photos

Pictures should be taken in landscape format, depending on the type of image submitted we will crop or resize as required. By submitting your photos, you confirm acceptance of the Terms below.

Twitter: Tweet us your picture to @NRE_YourJourney

Instagram:Take a picture on your phone and post it to Instagram, tag @nationalrailenq in the picture.
Email

Send an email to blog[at]nationalrail.co.uk with your picture attached.

Terms & Conditions

If you submit your contribution to National Rail Enquiries you must allow the us to use the material on a free-of-charge basis on this website or via our social channels.

You grant National Rail Enquiries the right to change or edit your contribution(s) for operational and editorial reasons.

Any copyright owned by you will remain with you and this permission is not exclusive, so you can continue to use the material you contribute in any way including allowing others to use it.

You confirm that your contribution is your own original work, is not defamatory or unlawful and does not infringe anyone else's rights (including privacy rights).

We will show your name or social handle with your contribution, unless you request otherwise.

If you do not want to grant National Rail Enquiries permission to use your contributions in accordance with these Terms, please do not submit them.

When taking photos, please do not endanger yourself or others, take unnecessary risks or infringe any laws.

Information about taking pictures on railway property is available here.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 12:27 »
There's a long thread about this over on the Alamy forum.
I had fourteen files removed, and have contacted my local big station for more info., quoting some info from their website. I've had a human reply, saying my online query has been forwarded to the appropriate department.

ShadySue

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 07:08 »
That's good news, didn't think they could get away with banning editorial use.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 22:56 »
Since yesterday, Network Rail have sought further legal advice and, based on our challenge to their initial ruling, they have changed their position. This is great news for our photographers as Network Rail have now agreed with us that these images are fine to sell editorially.

You don't need to do anything else - well put all removed images back on sale with an editorial only restriction. We have also advised Network Rail to update their photography policy to be in line with this.

Cheers

Alamy

I have none of these but cheers to all. A good outcome for all. Compliments to Network rail for understanding the free publicity, and images, will benefit them.

ShadySue

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 07:53 »
Since yesterday, Network Rail have sought further legal advice and, based on our challenge to their initial ruling, they have changed their position. This is great news for our photographers as Network Rail have now agreed with us that these images are fine to sell editorially.

You don't need to do anything else - well put all removed images back on sale with an editorial only restriction. We have also advised Network Rail to update their photography policy to be in line with this.

Cheers

Alamy

I have none of these but cheers to all. A good outcome for all. Compliments to Network rail for understanding the free publicity, and images, will benefit them.
That was a sarcastic comment, right?
1. NR's legal team realised they had no legal footing for a photography ban (see highlighted text above).
2. NR is a public sector body, which doesn't particularly need or seek publicity, free or otherwise.
3. By the nature of editorial, coverage is at least as likely to be negative as positive. For example, I have an RM-editorial photo of a financial institution for which I have found around 60 in-uses (still waiting, via Alamy, for most of them to be reported and paid for). Of my found in-uses, a couple were neutral, just announcements of new financial products, the rest have all been 'negative', reporting scandals, problems and issues within said company. The photo itself is neutral, but whereas a broadsheet would probably just have a couple of paragraphs outlining the issue, tabloids need to break up pages of print with lots of images. (Which is good for us, providing they 'remember' to pay.)