MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: CORRECTION: FreePik, FlatIcon, Photaki all related  (Read 25395 times)

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« on: February 04, 2016, 09:17 »
+9
UPDATE: SOMEONE POINTED OUT THAT I MADE A MISTAKE. Freeart is NOT run by Blanes. I must have mistakenly typed "freepik" into the registration search while meaning to type "freeart" early this morning. I apologize profusely. While Blanes is responsible for freepik.com, flaticon.com, photaki and a Spanish version of Freepik, he has nothing to do with freeart.com.

I'll change my other posts as well. SO, so sorry. Please forgive me. The last thing I want to do is accuse someone (however nasty) of something he hasn't done.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:15 by Shelma1 »

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 10:13 »
+5
The world just keeps churning out more millionaires, who make their money by lying, cheating, and stealing, all on the backs of someone else who is working just to pay their bills and live a decent life. Like this jerk, et al.

In so many ways, the internet and social media have provided useful services, but this is one of the downsides of it.  >:(

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 11:03 »
+3
Looking around for press information about this organization I found an article (Google translate or Chrome will provide a rough translation from Spanish) that i think says they are offering to train people at no charge and they create work for them to distribute free

http://andaluciaorienta.net/freepik-malaga-proyecta-dar-formacion-y-empleo-hasta-un-total-de-44-disenadores-graficos/

Given high unemployment in Spain, I'm sure that's an appealing prospect, but effectively is trying to remove a market for those trying to earn a living licensing their work. Competing with free is hard unless the work is complete garbage.

Or perhaps Shelma1 would like to move to sunny Malaga to work as FreePik's art director - they're hiring :)

http://jobs.freepik.com/

There was another article about them looking for software help

http://www.diariosur.es/economia/empresas-malaguenas/201512/06/freepik-caza-mejores-programadores-20151206185528.html

Not quite sure what the "agreement" with Shutterstock is that is referenced in this article - perhaps the affiliate links?

http://www.laopiniondemalaga.es/malaga/2015/04/22/freepik-nuevo-caso-exito/760156.html

I also noticed that Adobe is hosting FreePik and a collection of free vectors on Behance. If any of the stuff they're offering there is a copy of other artist's work, perhaps Adobe might remove their portfolio?

https://www.behance.net/freepik

Unbelievably, Kirsty Pargeter (who's been doing microstock for over a decade) is apparently contributing to FreePik. The blog post talks about her being with them for 2 months and earning $207.74 for one image in that time. I can't find any details on the site about how they actually pay contributors.

http://www.freepik.com/blog/kirsty-pargeter-how-to-earn-money-with-your-designs/?utm_campaign=blog-tw&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=sm

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 11:22 »
+2
Not quite sure what the "agreement" with Shutterstock is that is referenced in this article - perhaps the affiliate links?

I think so, they are offering Promo-Codes for both shutterstock and istock:

http://adscdn.flaticon.com/coupons/window?lang=english&sponsor=shutterstock
http://www.freepik.com/istock-promo-code

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 09:54 »
+2
Hello again everyone,

Justanotherphotographer, we do not do this anymore. However, there are resources that are still indexed, like the examples that you have indicated and we have already erased.

We take seriously every copyright infringement and we invest a lot of money in creating our own content. Therefore, whenever we detect plagiarism, we take measures immediatly removing the content and correcting our working methods, but it is inevitable that some case go unnoticed.

Shelma, I can ensure you that we never ask for replicas from Shutterstock and whenever we have detected a plagiarism of any sort, we have immediately terminated the contract with the designer as we do not tolerate these actions. We work with many authors and one of our core values is to respect the work of designers. Those working exclusively for us know how we are react in terms of copies.

As for the contributors, there are more and more people interested in our system. Having your illustrations in Freepik doesnt mean that the sales of your images in other banks decrease but, in fact, it is a way to monetize files for which a designer was no longer generating any income in other platforms. Designers like you have tried it and they are very satisfied.

Really, we'd love to have your collaboration. We would like you to give us a chance, get to know us, as now you know how much we strive to make your work be respected by others.

We pay to all contributors $5 for every 1000 downloads. We know that this is a new business model, but It's just another way to earn money with your illustrations and you can try it when you want :) (Please mail us to marketing(at)freepik.com)

And the most important. We want that you know that we take seriously every copyright infringement. Therefore, whenever we detect plagiarism, we take measures immediatly removing the content and correcting our working methods, but it is inevitable that some case go unnoticed. This happens in all banks and, in fact, we sometimes are also victims of plagiarism.

Shelma, if you need we can talk by Hangout or Skype but, if not, we will leave this matter to our lawyers, because publishing false accusations is an illegal act.

Thanks so much and we keep in touch for everything you need

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 21:48 »
+4
Hello again everyone,

Justanotherphotographer, we do not do this anymore. However, there are resources that are still indexed, like the examples that you have indicated and we have already erased.

We take seriously every copyright infringement and we invest a lot of money in creating our own content. Therefore, whenever we detect plagiarism, we take measures immediatly removing the content and correcting our working methods, but it is inevitable that some case go unnoticed.

Shelma, I can ensure you that we never ask for replicas from Shutterstock and whenever we have detected a plagiarism of any sort, we have immediately terminated the contract with the designer as we do not tolerate these actions. We work with many authors and one of our core values is to respect the work of designers. Those working exclusively for us know how we are react in terms of copies.

As for the contributors, there are more and more people interested in our system. Having your illustrations in Freepik doesnt mean that the sales of your images in other banks decrease but, in fact, it is a way to monetize files for which a designer was no longer generating any income in other platforms. Designers like you have tried it and they are very satisfied.

Really, we'd love to have your collaboration. We would like you to give us a chance, get to know us, as now you know how much we strive to make your work be respected by others.

We pay to all contributors $5 for every 1000 downloads. We know that this is a new business model, but It's just another way to earn money with your illustrations and you can try it when you want :) (Please mail us to marketing(at)freepik.com)

And the most important. We want that you know that we take seriously every copyright infringement. Therefore, whenever we detect plagiarism, we take measures immediatly removing the content and correcting our working methods, but it is inevitable that some case go unnoticed. This happens in all banks and, in fact, we sometimes are also victims of plagiarism.

Shelma, if you need we can talk by Hangout or Skype but, if not, we will leave this matter to our lawyers, because publishing false accusations is an illegal act.

I still haven't seen a reasonable response to shelmas questions on this thread.

http://www.microstockgroup.com/istockphoto-com/cpyright-infringement-by-'macrozone'/msg444099/?topicseen#new

Before you threaten to sick your lawyers on someone don't you think it would be more appropriate to answer his question? Maybe in a private message at least?

And I would not upload a blank white sheet of paper to freepik with that kind of ripoff return. Shameful.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 21:50 by Mantis »

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 04:50 »
+1
I went out and took a pic of an early flower in my garden with my phone to show someone, but it was very dull and it's blurry (just a bit, nothing to worry about lol). You can have that one for that price.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 08:21 »
+5
So its a new business model, where you don't have sale on demand, no subscription, no enhanced, no extended license..

All you have a free for commercial use license which lot of people download.
We get 5$ per 1000 download means 0.005$ for 1 download with free for commercial use license..

Lot of infringement designs in the website.
plus a threat of laywer. "Shelma, if you need we can talk by Hangout or Skype but, if not, we will leave this matter to our lawyers, because publishing false accusations is an illegal act. "

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 08:37 »
+2
There are subscriptions if you don't want to have to attribute. I guess that's the ultimate middle finger to the artist. The buyer has to pay the site giving work away so they don't have to attribute it to some Chinese site that probably didn't own it in the first place. Has anyone contacted SS or posted on their forums?

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 10:07 »
+3
http://www.microstockgroup.com/image-sleuth/omg-is-this-legal/

http://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/60919-another-site-with-tons-of-stolen-illustrations/

Interesting how long SS has been paying out to this site considering SS contributors have been complaining since at least 2012!

I wonder when SS will be losing out more in downloads than they gain in traffic?

Maybe now that Freepik seem to be actively duplicating the collection and Alexa shows their web traffic is fast approaching SS's?

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 10:54 »
+3
So apparently the site's been around for years (while Pablo Blanes was also running Photaki), but at some point he decided to stop sending people to get the vectors for free elsewhere and just copy all the stolen images himself ( or have "designers" copy them) and offer the copies for download instead.

Although there are still some redirects to original stolen work.

Edited to add: I'm totally unfamiliar with Photaki, but those of you who contributed there should keep in mind that you've handed this guy your work.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:13 by Shelma1 »

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 02:28 »
So apparently the site's been around for years (while Pablo Blanes was also running Photaki), but at some point he decided to stop sending people to get the vectors for free elsewhere and just copy all the stolen images himself ( or have "designers" copy them) and offer the copies for download instead.

Although there are still some redirects to original stolen work.

Edited to add: I'm totally unfamiliar with Photaki, but those of you who contributed there should keep in mind that you've handed this guy your work.

http://www.microstockgroup.com/22512/22512/msg444274/#msg444274

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 06:38 »
+4
Try downloading one of Kirsty's images. The note on how to attribute under the initial image page says to attribute it to the actual rights holder and freepik "vector designed by Kjpargeter - Freepik.com" but on the actual download page the copy paste web attribution you are given just says "Designed by Freepik"

So, fun, it looks like freepik wants buyers to attribute them as the sole creators or rights holders of work regardless of where it comes from. Shouldn't be a surprise I guess.

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 15:22 »

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 17:56 »
+7
Hello again everyone,

Sorry. Are you kidding me?
I think we should donate/collect for a good lawyer.
Lets stand together this kind of "business behavior"
is in my opinion harmful for every contributor.

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 03:28 »
+1
We are trying to explain things with transparency and sincerity, but some words are misinterpreted. The phrase about lawyers referred to specific allegations that a user of the forum has made ​​falsely (we have been accused of copies even in cases where the authors had uploaded them to Freepik).

But we are here to talk with you. We just wanted to personally respond to comments, to meet you, to know how could we collaborate. We have addressed all claims of this user, we have offered her to talk via Hangout or Skype, etc.

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 03:39 »
+1
We are trying to explain things with transparency and sincerity, but some words are misinterpreted. The phrase about lawyers referred to specific allegations that a user of the forum has made ​​falsely (we have been accused of copies even in cases where the authors had uploaded them to Freepik).

But we are here to talk with you. We just wanted to personally respond to comments, to meet you, to know how could we collaborate. We have addressed all claims of this user, we have offered her to talk via Hangout or Skype, etc.

Your businessmodel destroys my income. Do you think contrubutors can not calculate or what else is the reason for your audacity?

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 03:47 »
+6

If you fully compensate, to their satisfaction, all the people that have had images downloaded thousands of times from your site when they have not uploaded them to Freepik or given you consent to have them on your site, you might be able to have a legitimate business, even if most people here don't like it.  You should also stop making near copies of peoples work.  Until then, you really are delusional if you think people that have probably lost a lot of money because of your inability to remove images that shouldn't be on your site are going to collaborate with you.

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 04:04 »
+8
Most agencies start out with at least a veneer of respectability and honesty about them before they start to rip us off. Freepik decided to cut out that first phase..

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 09:13 »
Here's  a direct question. If you were a search engine how did you justify asking users to attribute work to you?

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 09:39 »
Here's  a direct question. If you were a search engine how did you justify asking users to attribute work to you?

When we index content, we don't ask attribution to Freepik. You can read this notice in all indexed images:

"This image is provided by a third party, not by Freepik.com

- Freepik.com neither selects nor examines, controls, guarantees, approves or sponsors this image.
- This image is provided under the terms and conditions applied by the relevant third party.
Before downloading the image, you must read such terms and conditions and make sure that they are consistent with your intended use of the image. You are solely responsible for complying with any third party terms and conditions."

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 10:03 »

Yes, and you sent me a PM requesting I go through your entire website and send you an email detailing all the work of mine you copied. When I told you how much I'd charge for my time to do that you didn't respond. Quelle surprise.

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 10:11 »

Yes, and you sent me a PM requesting I go through your entire website and send you an email detailing all the work of mine you copied. When I told you how much I'd charge for my time to do that you didn't respond. Quelle surprise.

Oh you lucky Shelma.. they will surely bribe you  :D

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 10:42 »

Shelma, we are waiting for your email. We are putting all our resources at your disposal. Please, send us an email with all cases of plagiarism of your work that you saw in Freepik.

We are ensuring you that we will take action, we will investigate everything and we will do whatever it takes. But we need your collaboration.

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 10:48 »
+3

Shelma, we are waiting for your email. We are putting all our resources at your disposal. Please, send us an email with all cases of plagiarism of your work that you saw in Freepik.

We are ensuring you that we will take action, we will investigate everything and we will do whatever it takes. But we need your collaboration.

"Whatever it takes" means deleting the entire portfolios of every contributor that is found to be plagiarising other people's work. Make a start with that, yes..?