MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Shutterstock and BFA (fashion/entertainment/events) sign deal  (Read 4652 times)

« on: February 09, 2016, 20:47 »
+3
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bfa-and-shutterstock-have-signed-an-exclusive-multi-year-global-syndication-deal-300217019.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbertoni/2016/02/09/shutterstock-increases-its-media-reach-with-bfa-deal/#7f199df73d79
http://wwd.com/media-news/fashion-memopad/shutterstock-global-licensing-deal-bfa-billy-farrell-10342632/

Stock hits three year low - go figure. I did hear a story on the radio today that tech stocks were getting hammered, so possibly it's nothing specific to SSTK or the deal

http://www.wallstreet.org/shutterstock-seals-exclusive-syndication-deal-with-bfa-shares-hit-new-3-yr-low-nysesstk/

I guess Premier customers will be happy to have something to add to the flood of marijuana pictures and identical icons in every color combo imaginable :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 23:39 by Jo Ann Snover »

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 21:16 »
sorry if i sound not in the news for BFA .
joanne , what does this mean to us regular ss contributors???
how will it impact us in terms of better or worse downloads and earnings?

from how i understand my little insight of the deal, would it only mean those photographers who have access to the red carpet are going to be affected. but for the rest of us, how would this affect us ???

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 21:26 »
I'm not sure it does mean anything much for us in the short term. Possibly in the long term it means that SS is trying to focus its business on the high end partnerships and leave the rest of their business as an also ran. It's never great when what you're part of is not the primary focus of a business (software departments at a hardware company, for example).

To the extent that SS becomes stronger as a company - and more profitable - it might reduce pressure on them to loot contributor share of the buyer payments. If they can beat Adobe via these types of partnerships, perhaps they don't engage in a destructive price war. Alternatively, if they make all the real money with the high end deals, they might view our part of their business as a loss leader and we'll see more shrinking of the business.

I really don't know how it will play out, but I saw the news release when checking on how the market had done today and I thought we should all keep tabs on what our top of the top tier agency is up to

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 01:25 »
To the extent that SS becomes stronger as a company - and more profitable - it might reduce pressure on them to loot contributor share of the buyer payments. If they can beat Adobe via these types of partnerships, perhaps they don't engage in a destructive price war.

well, then let's look at it from this postive lateral thought ie if this new alliance can take the stress of ss microstock business from needing to squeeze the contributors' share dry,
and prevent a destructive price war.

it's like the camera producers, where they make their profit from other means and that is why they never budge on cutting prices on  flash units, battery, etc.

we have to start thinking positive for once, or else as they say in the Laws of Attraction...
you get what you think will happen. 

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 02:42 »
+2
I think this is an important deal, it increases their "Weight" in the editorial industry and makes it clear they can provide more than just creative stock.

Companies that need a lot of editorial content also buy lots of creative stock alongside it. Shutterstock becomes a real "one stop shop" for customers that need new content every day.

That is the one advantage Getty always had, their strong editorial section, which gives them loyal news agencies and large media houses as customers.

Adobe hasnt even started to pursue the editorial market, so this gives SS a real edge.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 12:39 »
+3
the whole empire is built on assets they dont own. just a shame we dont use that power

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 12:52 »
I think this is an important deal, it increases their "Weight" in the editorial industry and makes it clear they can provide more than just creative stock.

Companies that need a lot of editorial content also buy lots of creative stock alongside it. Shutterstock becomes a real "one stop shop" for customers that need new content every day.

That is the one advantage Getty always had, their strong editorial section, which gives them loyal news agencies and large media houses as customers.

Adobe hasnt even started to pursue the editorial market, so this gives SS a real edge.

i was thinking of thst too when i first read that BFA is editorial . right now, who is the best seller in editorial???  i think getty is. so with this, it could direct buyers of editorial to ss which before this, they never saw ss as a major supplier of editorials.  in fact, many agencies do not supply editorials because they perharps think it is getty's domain. except, not every editorial photographer works for getty.
so instead of seeing it as yet another potent our loss, let's see it as ss effort to cut in to a stake of  what is getty's empire. if so, it would come to our benefit.

imagine if i were ss , i would think that for a while now, we have been putting pressure on our suppliers , and we could drive them all away to adobe. so, you ask how we can stop cutting contributors' share and appease with their anger of late,.. maybe this is how.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 13:09 »
the whole empire is built on assets they dont own. just a shame we dont use that power

Yeah. You first.  ::)

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 13:35 »
sorry if i sound not in the news for BFA .
joanne , what does this mean to us regular ss contributors???
how will it impact us in terms of better or worse downloads and earnings?

from how i understand my little insight of the deal, would it only mean those photographers who have access to the red carpet are going to be affected. but for the rest of us, how would this affect us ???

Those who have access will now sell less because the new BFA will have competition on SS. This won't make any effect on me, I don't shoot famous editorial. Might take a bite out of Getty.

If Adobe gets into editorial Getty will be hit again.