MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Looking to hire Stock Photographers for company project  (Read 31679 times)

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 15:54 »
+2
apparently only  native english speakers live in the US. have stock photographers become pathologically negative and paranoid?

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 21:52 »
+1
i live in Atlanta and this looks like a good deal, don't understand the negativity that's coming with it, how can I find out more about this?

Tror

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 00:09 »
Is that US only or worldwide?

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 13:35 »
+2
Your grammar is much better than many native English speakers'. ;)
  LOL  Thank you.

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 13:45 »
Is that US only or worldwide?
This particular position, we are hiring about 25 additional photographers to our team USA and Canada.
Although if we find someone exceptional, we do some amazing hotels in Europe and I am told we can pass any resume's on to the CEO as that is where he is in charge of our European accounts.

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2016, 13:47 »
i live in Atlanta and this looks like a good deal, don't understand the negativity that's coming with it, how can I find out more about this?
Email me at [email protected] and include a resume and samples in a drop box or a link to your portfolio.
Thank you for your reply. :)

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2016, 13:55 »
The day rate sounds good to me too, especially with the extras.
Have you applied? We are looking for photographers throughout USA and Canada to cover their areas. We have over 5000 hotels to shoot for this project and we will have more the following year. Its a great way of adding to your portfolio and makes you more in demand for your skills. Every thing is a stepping stone
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 14:11 by lephotography »

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2016, 14:10 »
that day rate is very low. does it include just shooting days or shot and post processing days? how much are you charging the client for a shoot? how long is a typical shot list. you really should put a FAQ on your site
For this project, we do all the post processing. You shoot and upload your RAWS by FTP. We are not charging for individual clients. This is a single project that includes over 5000 properties. The shot list depends on that particular brand of hotel between 16-36 required shots. Most fall in the 16 range.

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2016, 12:36 »
that day rate is very low. does it include just shooting days or shot and post processing days? how much are you charging the client for a shoot? how long is a typical shot list. you really should put a FAQ on your site

It's not low if you get enough days booked. My daily rate is about the same with a company I contract with, but I book about 200 days a year with them every year. And I don't get my hotels paid for or per diem. It still ends up being a good living, making up about 60 percent of my income. It gels well with stock photography, which I can do at my own pace and schedule when I'm not booked.

And I have to do a whole lot more than 16 photos. Usually end up with 8-12 hour days when you include travel.

I would apply, but I haven't done a lot of architectural photography, and I'm only really available in the summers.

Yes I have seen one of our photographers make over $9000 in one month. Not bad even though they were on the road most of the entire month. But if you think about it.. alot of our photographers choose to work alot for 6 months

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2016, 18:58 »
+3
this if from a friend who has worked for this company...

I have done business with this company in the past. They are legitimate in the aspect of being an actual company who will pay you the amount stated for the work described. On the other hand, you will mostly shoot very low end properties and you have to constantly badger them to get paid (they promise 30 days but average 120+ days). The photographer turnover rate is very high due to the way they run their business (which is probably why they have resorted to recruiting on a micro stock site). I would describe my experience with them as negative.

Should you work with them? As long as you never give them priority over any other job on your calendar (they cancel/reschedule a lot), you don't take any job that is more than a couple of hours away from you (reduces out of pocket gas & food expenses where you wait forever for reimbursement), and you absolutely would not have to depend on this income to pay your bills (because you won't get paid on time).

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2016, 06:01 »
Hi, is this only in the US? I live abroad and I'm interested.

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2016, 09:55 »
Is the training free? Given the level of equipment and quality of portfolio you are asking what does it consist Of?

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2016, 10:00 »
Its a great way of adding to your portfolio and makes you more in demand for your skills. Every thing is a stepping stone
Does that mean the properties would be released for stock use, or released for personal portfolio use only?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 12:03 by ShadySue »

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2016, 11:06 »
Is the training free? Given the level of equipment and quality of portfolio you are asking what does it consist Of?
Yes it is a 3 day workshop all expenses paid (hotel, flight, food)
One class day, One day at Full Service hotel with breakdown of required shots and how brand would like it shot
One day at Limited Service Hotel learning their required shot lists and their preferences on how it is shot.

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2016, 12:01 »
+1

I have done business with this company in the past. They are legitimate in the aspect of being an actual company who will pay you the amount stated for the work described. On the other hand, you will mostly shoot very low end properties and you have to constantly badger them to get paid (they promise 30 days but average 120+ days). The photographer turnover rate is very high due to the way they run their business (which is probably why they have resorted to recruiting on a micro stock site). I would describe my experience with them as negative.

Should you work with them? As long as you never give them priority over any other job on your calendar (they cancel/reschedule a lot), you don't take any job that is more than a couple of hours away from you (reduces out of pocket gas & food expenses where you wait forever for reimbursement), and you absolutely would not have to depend on this income to pay your bills (because you won't get paid on time).

We are actually turning to the microstock group because we are looking for high standard photographers to cover more areas. We had several photographers last year who got delayed payments .. but it was because those photographers failed to supply us with the correct number of images and / or went way beyond their deadline to turn in the images. Paying our photographers on time is a major priority for our staff .. however when a photographer goes a month or two without handing in their RAWs .. yes their payments will be delayed. Also .. if you are being paid to shoot 16 images of a hotel and you turn in 4 images that will delay payment until the job is finished.

Rescheduling is quite the opposite. A reschedule or cancellation can potentially cost the hotel thousands of dollars in preparation costs, etc. So, if you are a person who cannot commit to a shoot then this will not be a good fit for you. However, if you are a photographer who is organized, on time and likes to travel -- this is definitely a gig you will be interested in.

Our top photographer last season shot between May - October and earned $90,000 - and nearly everyone who shot for us last year is coming back this season.

With that said, we have received an amazing response from many photographers here on MSG with absolutely beautiful portfolios. We will be scheduling the entire season very soon so if you'd like us to review your portfolio ... better now than later. :)

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2016, 12:17 »
Is this a worldwide business or US only?

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2016, 16:47 »
Is this a worldwide business or US only?

See post 29.

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2016, 17:17 »
This is one step behind being a wedding photographer. Sorry but it sounds like hell. Would you really give up the freedom of stock photography to go out onto a conveyor belt churning out hotel pictures. One grotty room after the other speaking to bossy managers asking to take it this way and that... OMG stay away people!!!

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2016, 09:04 »
This is one step behind being a wedding photographer. Sorry but it sounds like hell. Would you really give up the freedom of stock photography to go out onto a conveyor belt churning out hotel pictures. One grotty room after the other speaking to bossy managers asking to take it this way and that... OMG stay away people!!!
The GM normally is there but they can't tell the photographer how to shoot the rooms because the company who is our client handles their image and websites and has a required shot list. Anything beyond that, that a GM wants done... Bonus! That means that particular owner wants to pay out of their pocket and you get a commission to do that shot along with their required shot list. 
I guess architecture or hospitality images may not be something you yourself do not want on your portfolio but there are many photographers that welcome this because it's a great way to add to your website to have another niche to make more money in your future. Architecture photography is in high demand in this day and age.

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2016, 09:14 »

I'd certainly consider as a part time option ..... but I can see its not for everyone

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2016, 09:16 »
Is this every year - meaning once you are established you can opt in to do this each year for however many years you wish?

What if you are an accomplished photographer but have not done this kind of work before? Those types need not apply?

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2016, 12:01 »

Should you work with them? As long as you never give them priority over any other job on your calendar (they cancel/reschedule a lot)

Rescheduling is quite the opposite. A reschedule or cancellation can potentially cost the hotel thousands of dollars in preparation costs, etc. So, if you are a person who cannot commit to a shoot then this will not be a good fit for you.
The italicised comment was about the companies rescheduling, not the photographer rescheduling.

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2016, 15:25 »
+11
someone comes here offering a job,  at reasonable pay, nothing shady, take it or leave it, but for the love of god, people need to stop moaning,  *

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2016, 15:39 »
+1
I'd give this a serious thought if I had already retired from my day job and decided some travel would be interesting. I'd consider doing travel stock photography to and from the site as well as in the site city. I'd be interested in how this works out so I could make plans in a few years.

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2016, 11:51 »
+3
This is my last day reviewing photographers for this position. I want to thank everyone. We have had a enormous amount of photographers interested. I will be in the coming weeks looking for a few new remote editors, so I will be back to post for those positions. So despite some negative members, this was a success. Thanks to some of the members for your support.