MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Shutterstock Image Search  (Read 4132 times)

« on: February 14, 2016, 05:50 »
I am seeing this new feature at my shutterstock search..

Chichikov

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 07:34 »
Can you explain how you get this?

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 08:20 »
Good idea!

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 08:21 »

Hi this popped up today while browsing.. Just drag and drop images and it will do the similar search... worked good for me and new and interesting feature.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 09:26 »

Hi this popped up today while browsing.. Just drag and drop images and it will do the similar search... worked good for me and new and interesting feature.

Must be a test, I can't see it, but will look for trying.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 14:42 »
This showed up for me today (when logged in to my regular-not contributor-account). It seems to work well to find 100 visually similar images although there are some pretty odd things about the way it works.

With a picture of yellow beach umbrellas on a tropical beach, it found the image I fed it and the others were all along the same lines.

With a picture of a street in a village in Kent (England) it found the image I fed it but put it 2nd in the list - a street in Germany that didn't look much like my picture at all was first. Also, there's apparently no keyword component used, so you get images from many countries with houses with streets. You might imagine asking if the search should be narrowed by location and presenting some of the location keywords found in the first 5 or so hits. That search gave me images from Russia, Sweden, Germany, Galveston, TX, Michigan, Canada, various places in the UK...

I did get an error once: "Oops! Something went wrong, please try again. We only support JPG and PNG images under 5MB and no larger than 4000px on either side at this time." The image I used was 1200 px on the long edge and about 600K. It worked later when I tried it again.

One failure was an image of an isolated picnic basket - I fed the search a small PNG and the image I have on SS is a JPEG. Image search didn't find the one I was looking for although all the found objects were isolated baskets of similar colors. Similar failure with a PNG of a flower vase illustration. Strangely, an isolated PNG of a dish of candies worked OK and found the JPEG I'd uploaded, although it was 17th behind a bunch of pomegranates, grapes and other red items.

I fed the search a crop that was web banner proportions (very wide but short) of an image it could find when fed the full version but it failed to find it (and the key item, a lighthouse, was in the web banner version)

Another search that didn't work as well as I'd have hoped - I fed search a similar image to one that's in my portfolio (same beach, sandcastle and kids, but a slightly different angle) and it didn't find it. It did find lots of people on beaches but didn't match the subject all that well (e.g. standing with surfboards vs sitting making a sandcastle).

An isolated image of a woman (with long hair) was found, but the others in the 100 included lots of men, one bald and several with short hair - even with a beard!

One search that didn't work all that well, even though it did find the image as the first hit from a cropped version I fed to the search: It was a black cat on a hardwood floor at the top of a staircase. All the other images had hardwood floors, but had people exercising, stretching etc. Not an animal in any of them :)

One picture of a house in the snow was found, but it was placed 6th in the list and I couldn't see why the "wrong" images rated higher in the order.

One cropped version of an image of gold coins was found, but it was in 18th place - again, I wasn't sure why it was so far back.

It's a good tool (and quick) for getting the type of image - balloons or easter eggs or beach umbrellas or houses. It's not quite so adept if you're trying to find a specific image, although it's a great start.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 14:54 by Jo Ann Snover »

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 15:12 »
It is called "Reverse image search"

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 08:11 »
Maybe, this feature can improve the performance of not well-keyworded images...