pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Pond 5 review changes  (Read 58824 times)

« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2016, 18:27 »
+2
They are co-defendants http://www.law360.com/cases/5609a33c257d674b1c000001 can't read without a paid subscription and I'm not going to pay.

Defendant  Pond5 user ckennedy342

Plaintiff  Mr Gordon Hempton http://soundtracker.com/

« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2016, 15:19 »
+1
They are co-defendants http://www.law360.com/cases/5609a33c257d674b1c000001 can't read without a paid subscription and I'm not going to pay.

Defendant  Pond5 user ckennedy342

Plaintiff  Mr Gordon Hempton http://soundtracker.com/

More here - https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/9470397/Hempton_v_Pond5,_Inc_et_al

« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2016, 07:18 »
+2
Its amazing how much negativity they are spreading in such a short time. Just a few weeks or three months ago people were only complaining about long review times, but otherwise were satisfied with pond5. You can always use more sales, but people felt at home.

Now there isnt a single board where people are not complaining bitterly.

Who is now in charge of pond5? Do they now have a management that has never worked in the stock industry?

Instead of changing everything, why didnt they add an additional site to experiment with and then very gradually implement what works on pond5, after discussing it carefully with contributors?

Why drive people to explore the competition? I dont understand their goals at all.

Shutterstock, Videoblocks and Adobe are probably ordering champagne every week, this is an unexpected gift for them. And if istock had vision, they would use this opportunity to announce a new royalty system to attract all the content that has avoided them.

To be fair there's one person that has been complaining at every opportunity about everything Pond5 does and starting threads for the purpose. The problem with this forum is that many of those contributing do nothing other than use it for a sounding board for negativity.

I can't see that things have changed that much in terms of sales or reviews at Pond5. Obviously they're now starting to reject a bit more, but lifting the standards of contributions isn't necessarily a bad thing. I haven't seen complaints from anyone that has a high quality portfolio - if that happens there's more to be alarmed about.

There were some big site changes last month that will have an impact, but its far too early to really know how those will impact sales if at all.
Just block KnowYourOnions and you wont have to read the one person who just complains all the time. 

There's nothing wrong with tightening up a bit on reviews but when there are good contributors reporting near 100% rejections, something has gone wrong.  They haven't gone through their collection and removed the lower quality clips that they have been accepting for years, so rejecting lots of new 4k clips seems like a strange policy to me.  There's also the fact that sites that accept almost everything with stills are doing better than sites that started the Pond5 policy.  Just look at the difference between Shutterstock and Dreamstime, they were much closer 5 years ago.  I think Google likes a lot of content and buyers will buy a lot of content that inexperienced reviewers would reject if they have to make subjective decisions on "commercial quality".

Pond5 was doing great accepting almost everything.  The search should be good enough to bring the best to the top.  I think making such a radical change that has led to disaster for other sites is highly likely to be bad for them.  Not giving us any guidance before making the change has made a lot of people waste time uploading big batches of video clips and has wasted reviewers time when they already had a huge backlog.  I hope they think things through more in the future.

« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2016, 10:45 »
+3
Well, after a few email back and forth I manage to get 2400 audio files rejected :))) Ok first thing is first, I mainly do whooshes, swooshes, short one to five second files that are mostly used in a larger montages or productions etc... I also have over 4000 top notch quality sound recordings and other miscellaneous sound effects that over the course of last seven years netted me over 100k and that's only audio, without footage or photo.

Now, I read msg daily and I was informed about "tightening" the review process at P5 so I wrote an email to support asking them what's up with inspectors rejecting large batches of files after viewing just several of the files submitted and I got my answer that seemed more or less ok with me...

P5 Contributor relations answer (really a good person so no names)
It's not true that Curators would reject a batch of 200 video clips after seeing couple at the beginning. But if 90% of clips uploaded are way under the quality line, Curators may not spend hours finding the borderline 10% as they used to before, and reject the whole batch. I makes sense to seek only for a god quality media. As much as we want to encourage for example new artists, we seek for a good quality first.
--------------------

Next, I needed to be verified as a SFX contributor, ID or Passport, professional looking website or linkedin page with connections etc. I was already a contributor at P5 and sold a ton of files but, ok, I got myself verified. Then, I uploaded over 9000 files of my audio port. I've send in the first batch, mainly songs and that was 50-50% acceptance rate. I was not happy about that but I assumed that this is the "new pond reviewing system" and I resumed sending my files to curators. Also, I was told by the P5 staff that "There is no difference in a search results if you would upload them at once or slowly" so I clicked three pages of 2400 files, my first batch and waited for several days just to find out today that all of the files are rejected :))))) Smiley is not really a smiley face but a shock/surprised/smiley face. Then I wrote several emails to the "nice person from support" and to "regular support" regarding Curator 22 Miklos.

The point is that in that first batch of 2400 files were around 1500 high quality transitional whooshes and the rest were top notch sound recordings, sound effects and ambients that were selling like crazy at Pond5 last year!!! Than I also wrote that I turned to whooshes and transitional sounds and that majority of my files are 1 to 5 second files and that if there is a new policy about acceptance of "short whooshes" files, that should be available for us to read. A warning, something...

I passed many rejections at IS, SS, and all of the rest agencies that are out there since 2005 and I'm not bitching or whining about the rejection process but about the "not even looking at the whole batch" thingy. I was right in the first place, they don't even bother to look at the titles of the files (it's different in audio, no visuals, you have to listen to every file or at least read the tittle to know what it's about). And it's not my problem that someone cannot hear the difference between two or more whooshes. Also they were handmade, not massgenerated... etc.

So, I'm about to delete the rejected files, upload my sfx's, recordings and the rest of the files that aren't whooshes and hope that this time around Curator 22 Miklos would actually look and read and maybe even listen to the files that are submitted before he rejects them all. Also, I won't be submitting more than 50 files per day.

If this helps someone who is about to upload a large batch of audio files at P5, great. If not, than just a eye opener about P5 new inspection process.
Waiting for reply from support.
Cheers.
Mirko.

« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2016, 11:01 »
+4
I have decided to not upload more than 10 files a week and make them a mix from several different shootings.

I hope this way, someone will actually look at the files and I wont get the batch reject.

This is a great bonus for Adobe, SS and all the other agencies. Everyone knows by now that pond5 no longer has the full selection of what is available.

As the upload traffic moves elsewhere, so will the business. We have seen this again and again with the photo agencies.

The suppliers are also buyers, if pond5 tells people to go away and support other agencies, the money will walk with them.

« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2016, 11:10 »
+1
Well, I was counting on P5 sales of my audio port cause they were good and on par with IS last year. Now, I think I'm gonna turn to AJ and envato for high dl number-low royalties momentum. And a pain in the ass uploading process. But as much as I don't like the way they are organised, I talked to a lot of folks doing audio there (and footage but mostly graphic etc) that number of sales are the thing keeping their heads above water. Something like when microstock started and macro folks were desperate about micro killing the business and stuff. I see it that way. Remember the "my photo will sell 1000 times per year for 0.50c and yours will sell once per year for higher amount of money" explanations? Well, it's kinda like that. I don't know, will try envato. I had 10 files there last year and every one of those files sold min once :) But I was happy with P5 sales so I didn't went the whole "watermark your files and zipped them up" way. But now I think that's a must. Anyways, don't know what P5 is thinking. They have a ton of "garbage" files, footage and audio. What's up with this new "high quality" thing? I only know that I'm far from "low quality" and to be rejected like this... hilarious :) But I'm gonna try again with different aproach and see what happens.

« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2016, 11:21 »
+1
I think if envato gives people a good and easy upload process many people would try them.

There are a lot of artists reporting excellent sales there, but I really dont see myself going through that system.

I dont know if they are aware that many people would like to try them, but their system stops many from even trying.

I am currently processing lots of stuff from the last two years and will fill up Adobe, Videoblocks and SS.

Ill send a few files every week to the pond to see how it goes, but if the management is new and just changed everything, they will probably need many months to connect to reality.

Adobe reviews files in 24 hours. Sales are slowly climbing as well. 33% is not 50, but on Fotolia itself you can earn more and to have your whole portfolio visible is a real bonus.

At least for now they are drama free and have just closed dpc.

What surprises me is that there doesnt seem to be much solidarity between the artists on pond5. If we had received such drastic and unfair rejections on the old istock or even today on a photo agency, there would be a riot.

Instead the crowd seems to belittle the artists with batch rejections, as if they deserve it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:37 by cobalt »

« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2016, 11:31 »
+3
It's business after all. They have their rules and you put up or shut up. That's too bad but that's just the way it is. I understand (to some point) what are they trying to do but I think it's kinda late after 5 million footage files in library with over 2 million mediocre and 1 million garbage files to talk about quality standards etc.

I just know that I need the money so I'll have to change the way I'm doing stuff. At least for P5. And instead of having my whole port in several days online earning me money, I'll have most of my audio port in six months :)))

« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2016, 11:36 »
+3
Yes, its their company, I agree.

And we will go and focus on our own business and how we can best make money.

I just dont understand why anyone would bring down a well run business so quickly, also all the changes on the website, it is not very functional if you want to buy. I even miss the old logo it looked much better than the little squiggly line.

Maybe envato doesnt want to be the next industry marketplace, but this is certainly an opportunity for someone to step in and take over the ponds position. Especially if they are giving up their main advantage so easily.

eta: Shutterstock now inspecting videos in less than 12 hours!!

Looks like someone is keen to attract content :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:51 by cobalt »

« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2016, 13:04 »
+1
50 % regection !
So much hard work went to waste...

« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2016, 14:12 »
+6
I'm still the champion with 2400 files rejected all at once :)) At least I'm 100% successful in something :))

SquirrelPower

« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2016, 17:19 »
+1
Yes, its their company, I agree.

And we will go and focus on our own business and how we can best make money.

I just dont understand why anyone would bring down a well run business so quickly, also all the changes on the website, it is not very functional if you want to buy. I even miss the old logo it looked much better than the little squiggly line.

Maybe envato doesnt want to be the next industry marketplace, but this is certainly an opportunity for someone to step in and take over the ponds position. Especially if they are giving up their main advantage so easily.

eta: Shutterstock now inspecting videos in less than 12 hours!!

Looks like someone is keen to attract content :)

I've also noticed SS reviews have really gotten faster this month but sales not so much and pay seems to have been cut, went from $28 a sale to $4 and $11 a sale now.

We really need another site that does everything from editorial to commercial video of all kinds and quality as well as still photos.  Even crap sells and Pond 5 used to be a very open market place to offer all types of content but it changed and there really nothing out there that I can find that is even close to the original Pond 5.   And the original Pond 5 was successful so that model can work again if someone can get the millions needed to start the business.

Pond 5 was one of the few places that took editorial so it's sorely missed.

« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2016, 17:57 »
+1
So, to spread this a bit further, I've deleted all of the files and started uploading again, high quality recordings and sfx's and submitted the first batch of 49 files... guess what? 49 files rejected. Curator 22 Miklos...

Now, this is getting a bit personal. Have to go and write some more emails. What is happening over there?

« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2016, 18:16 »
+2
I've sent another email. Third. Tomorrow is a phone call day. And I would really love to see someone from Pond5 in this topic trying to explain this idiotic situation... lol... I'm going to submit more files, just for fun (not to mention my income directly evolves - evolved, around Pond5, after breaking up with Istock...)... furious. This is... I'm going back to photography. Audio and video is too much hassle

« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2016, 01:29 »
+2

Writing them is very important and I believe it will make a change.
I wrote them three times since the auto-rejection mode took place and I encourage all of you to keep writing.

« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2016, 04:41 »
+4
I couldn't get verified for audio because I don't have a professional looking website or linkedin page.  I only had 2 audio clips but was planning on doing more and one of them was getting regular sales.  I had already gone through a verification for video and stills.  Would of had no problem with them phoning me on my landline or sending a verification code to my home address.  This was the first time Pond5 had done something that I thought was strange, unfortunately, it was the first of several in the last year.

Doesn't seem worth getting a linkedin page now, as it looks like they would probably reject my audio files.

« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2016, 10:33 »
+4
@hafakot
I've talk to them several times already and after a few "nasty and not so polite" emails and a few cooled down versions with apologies and stuff their head audio curator is reviewing the "case". They will notify me by email about their decision. I didn't want to sound like an a@#$ole but when they act like ones several times I just lost my temper and good manners. After that I was feeling a bit off but that's just the way it is. I just hope to make this work.

@Sharpshot
I had a professional looking website (www.videoaudiostock.com) where I used to sell my own stuff but never got the time to fully load it with all my stuff. Also, I took it down when I went back to Istock excl. I have a Linkedin page but it's not so "audio oriented". It's more of a graphic design/photo/video oriented cause I used it before I quit my job as layout editor and Ringier Axel Springer. And I mostly used it for those type of connections. I've sent my istock audio port, facebook page, linkedin page and I was told it's a "go" for sfx. But apparently not :(

One thing crossed my mind, every single file of mine have in it's metadata www.videoaudiostock.com and me as copyright holder... Maybe that's the problem? Nevermind, I'll wait and see.

« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2016, 15:19 »
@hafakot
I've talk to them several times already and after a few "nasty and not so polite" emails and a few cooled down versions with apologies and stuff their head audio curator is reviewing the "case". They will notify me by email about their decision. I didn't want to sound like an a@#$ole but when they act like ones several times I just lost my temper and good manners. After that I was feeling a bit off but that's just the way it is. I just hope to make this work.

@Sharpshot
I had a professional looking website (www.videoaudiostock.com) where I used to sell my own stuff but never got the time to fully load it with all my stuff. Also, I took it down when I went back to Istock excl. I have a Linkedin page but it's not so "audio oriented". It's more of a graphic design/photo/video oriented cause I used it before I quit my job as layout editor and Ringier Axel Springer. And I mostly used it for those type of connections. I've sent my istock audio port, facebook page, linkedin page and I was told it's a "go" for sfx. But apparently not :(

One thing crossed my mind, every single file of mine have in it's metadata www.videoaudiostock.com and me as copyright holder... Maybe that's the problem? Nevermind, I'll wait and see.

For that many files I'd fight too. Keep pushing....and good job so far not giving up.

« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2016, 18:10 »
Well, I just had 7 of 7 rejected, including one file where they asked me to include a missing model release in a group of 4 people. Mostly 4k.

But the review time has improved.

So, we are all getting the go away message. Ill keep uploading small batches, but otherwise the focus will be on SS, Videoblocks and Adobe. Maybe even a little bit to istock.

Somebody will step in and say: I want to be the next pond5...

SS sometimes inspects in under 4 hours, fotolia in one day.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 18:39 by cobalt »

SquirrelPower

« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2016, 07:07 »
+1
Well, I just had 7 of 7 rejected, including one file where they asked me to include a missing model release in a group of 4 people. Mostly 4k.

So, we are all getting the go away message. Ill keep uploading small batches, but otherwise the focus will be on SS, Videoblocks and Adobe. Maybe even a little bit to istock.

I suspect Pond 5 is watching their costs and that includes storage costs, they have five million clips already in the pond and probably can't afford much most space at their current burn rate plus lack of sales revenue plus their normal operating overhead so I think they without saying they are closed to new clips they are mostly closed to admitting new clips, they are using the terms like we have new and improved standards but I don't believe it.

They probably figure that if they reject 90% then most people will simply go away and stop submitting.

and yes we hope someone will step in and become the next Pond5, the challenge will be finding investors with many millions willing to invest when the returns are so small in this business and there are already some big players in the space, would be a tough pitch to make. 

Guess the lesson learned here is no matter what we are doing these days our job security is zero, in this case it was a management change at pond5 and just like that....done.

« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2016, 07:50 »
if they are closed to new clips, the place will die as soon as Shutterstock overtakes them and has the largest library.

SS also has no storage problems, neither do Adobe or Getty.

Maybe they do see their future in the membership content where they don't have to share their income with contributors. But a successful subs model needs tons of new content every week.

I don't think the new owners really have a plan, they are just changing absolutely everything, seem to have let go of the experienced reviewers and just experimenting with everything to see what sticks.

Reminds me of what Getty did after Bruce left, but even they were not this drastic in their changes.

« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2016, 08:57 »
No offense to anyone here but many have rather naive outlook of new/old management.
Both just wanted $$$$, not the revolution in fair play sharing profit. Old folks got it and vanish into better life, the new one will get $$$ somehow or move to another gig.   8)
p.s. Who really knows what new management inherited from the old one, what kind of issues and problems to scale the business further.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:38 by KnowYourOnions »

« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2016, 10:17 »
They are still paying out 50%, the fastest way to increase their earnings is to cut royalties.

So I do think fair trade was part of the concept.

Of course the owners make money, why else would they run a business.

« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2016, 10:21 »
They are still paying out 50%, the fastest way to increase their earnings is to cut royalties.

So I do think fair trade was part of the concept.

Of course the owners make money, why else would they run a business.

Well, as I said long ago...not much fun in 50% if no sales. Nice PR though.

« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2016, 16:04 »
+2

I suspect Pond 5 is watching their costs and that includes storage costs, they have five million clips already in the pond and probably can't afford much most space at their current burn rate plus lack of sales revenue plus their normal operating overhead so I think they without saying they are closed to new clips they are mostly closed to admitting new clips, they are using the terms like we have new and improved standards but I don't believe it.

They probably figure that if they reject 90% then most people will simply go away and stop submitting.

and yes we hope someone will step in and become the next Pond5, the challenge will be finding investors with many millions willing to invest when the returns are so small in this business and there are already some big players in the space, would be a tough pitch to make. 

Guess the lesson learned here is no matter what we are doing these days our job security is zero, in this case it was a management change at pond5 and just like that....done.
If they wanted to reduce storage costs, they would of removed all the low quality clips already in their collection.  So I think that can't be the reason for rejecting new clips.