MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: New to Alamy? Read this! :-)  (Read 33996 times)

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 09:14 »
Great, you are right about systematically procrastinating new uploads and keywording.
I only get motivated and push myself to do it after getting large sales ;)

red...   i think zerotalent says it all. it really doesn't need anything more than what i red out
... for many of the contributors who joined you from the inception but after 2,3,4 years without a sale
or even worse, single digit views, closed their accounts of lots of images
uploaded to you with closed to 90% , many 100% approvals.. of hi-res much larger than 8MPetc.

increase the percentage to the right of this page and you will see us coming back.
until then ...  it really does not matter with how much you give us, or even how troublesome the editing system. 
the trouble is all moot if you only have the sales .

Tryingmybest

• Stand up for what is right
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 09:22 »
Great news to hear! Sometimes I struggle with the "essential keywords" so it hinders me from uploading more images. I must have 1000 I want to upload with meta data but thinking about the time it takes to choose the essential keywords makes me pause... Maybe if I drink more coffee I can find the energy and focus - hehe

Yeah, that's a bit annoying. I just bulk edit and type in "illustration" for my illustrations. Saves alot of time.  8)

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 13:06 »
Is it only me who finds it strange that an Alamy representative opens a topic just days after Alamy has skyrocketed on the poll?

authenticcreations

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 13:34 »
+3
For me not strange at all. It is like from previous user is mentioned. On month you can earn on alamy 100 dollars versus next month 1000 dollars. Sales are ranging in general from 5 till 500 dollars. Only one sale can make a difference from position x to 1. And again if you will check the Alamy forum you can see people reporting sales like 2000$, 1000$, 520$ 300$ and now more often 240$ sales. It is not an opinion but a fact. If those people will put this earnings in the poll then this jump is very realistic. Alamy is also not a microstock agency. There are "not microstock" contributors there that are not adding their results here on the poll. If they would i would expect Alamy already being much earlier on the top 5.

My experience again.....it is impossible to compare sales from Alamy with Microstock from the beginning. Microstock creates sales from day 1. Costumers downloading images from their credits or subscriptions mostly for cents till few dollars. Alamy needs more time from download, to invoicing and end payout. Also you need time to build up your ranking since you start in medium as beginning contributor. You need to take care of your keywording different then microstock. If you will just copy your keywords from microstock without putting them on the right order you will hurt your ranking and it will affect your sales.

If you want give Alamy a fair chance (like the people that are making decent money there) and build up your sales you need:
1. Keyword your images specialy
2. Avoid uploading to many similars.
3. Have some patience before regular sales come in and not just stop after few months.
4. Concentrate also on the RM direction.

Anyway like Alamy said the keywording system will be changed. We will see.

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2016, 03:54 »
+6
Is it only me who finds it strange that an Alamy representative opens a topic just days after Alamy has skyrocketed on the poll?

No conspiracy here - there are just a lot of questions coming up at the moment, especially due to the poll results, and as we've updated our help pages recently we wanted to post a link to the most recent information.

Also - we've been posting here for a while trying to help out when we can, not just recently.  :-\

Cheers

James A

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2016, 05:14 »
+4
Every coincidence turns in to a conspiracy theory on the internet  :)

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2016, 08:47 »
I would like to give a try with Alamy, but I have 400+ files with "ZERO" sell since May 2015 untile now in Alamy, I do have same quantity with other agencies at sametime, and they all sell good, so now I have no idea what's going on with my file in Alamy?

should I keep uploading to Alamy and give it a try?

as you can see it still "Zero" Sell since May 2015
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:55 by PR Image Factory »

authenticcreations

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2016, 09:26 »
+1
Hello PR Image Factory,

The reason could be many things. First of all do you keyword your photos according to the Alamy guidelines? Did you had your 400+ images since the beginning or is it spread till now? Then it would mean that you have an average of 200 images. Then there is still this "waiting time" to start rolling.

I understand your concerns. I also came from Microstock and was used to get sales inmidiatly. Alamy doesnt work like that. Read previous posts from me :). This kind of Agencies need time to see regular sales. Even more. For example i am also on Age Fotostock. Also a traditional agency like Alamy. This agency needed even longer. I submitted there and for two years ZERO sales. And then in August 2015 my first sale came in. From then i have regular sales and make there more there with a handful of sales per month then on SS. Alamy is known to sell more then Age Fotostock in generał.

Just continue uploading with the right keywording and subjects. Build a large enough port... sales will come.

Mirco

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2016, 10:01 »

Hello authenticcreations,

Do you suggest not to add RF and only upload images as RM? Do you think that it's OK to have RM in alamy and the same image in microstock or would you avoid that?

Thanks in advance for any advice  :)

authenticcreations

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2016, 10:07 »
+1

Hello authenticcreations,

Do you suggest not to add RF and only upload images as RM? Do you think that it's OK to have RM in alamy and the same image in microstock or would you avoid that?

Thanks in advance for any advice  :)

Hey,

RM photos should be not microstock photos since they are RF. Costumers knows when they licence a RM that it is not available on micros. Thats an advantage. RM should be unique to Alamy.

Mirco

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2016, 10:16 »
Great! Thanks for the info!

Cheers

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 08:20 »
If I was to submit a large portfolio of content can I batch process with a csv? I had a read through the info but no mention of it. From what others have written it sounds like adding meta info is tedious process?
Is this something you are working to simplify?

authenticcreations

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 08:24 »
If I was to submit a large portfolio of content can I batch process with a csv? I had a read through the info but no mention of it. From what others have written it sounds like adding meta info is tedious process?

Yes this is possible. Just contact member services. They will help you very fast.

Mirco

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2016, 08:38 »

Yes this is possible. Just contact member services. They will help you very fast.

Mirco

Thanks Micro

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2016, 09:09 »

Yes, the new tools will simplify this process and you'll be able to get images online quicker with embedded data.

Send me a PM and I can help you out in this case though.

For anyone else with very large collections who want to get them online as quick as possible, please also send me a PM.

Cheers

James Allsworth
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 09:41 by Alamy »

authenticcreations

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2016, 09:17 »
Hello James,

Here i am again.... .since this thread is also about the new system that is still to come.... do you know if the flash version will be removed?

I am often on the go and it would be great if we can keyword or manage photos on a smartphone or tablet while traveling or being somewhere else.

Thanks.

Mirco

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2016, 09:21 »
+4
Hello James,

Here i am again.... .since this thread is also about the new system that is still to come.... do you know if the flash version will be removed?

I am often on the go and it would be great if we can keyword or manage photos on a smartphone or tablet while traveling or being somewhere else.

Thanks.

Mirco

Hi Mirco,

Yes, I can confirm flash is being removed for the new image management tools. It was one of the first things on our list when development began :)

Cheers

James A

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2016, 13:15 »
I just received an email from Member Services confirming that Alamy removes any clipping paths included with JPEG submissions. No explanation as to why. As far as I know, it's the only Stock agency that does this.

Hopefully the new upload system would eliminate this problem. Buyers of isolated images love clipping paths!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 15:23 by rimglow »

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2016, 11:11 »
+2
Just one small question to James.

Will there still be the possibility to choose for the License RM-Exclusive in the new system?

Thanks allready.

Mirco

Hi Mirco,

Although the option to select the licence type RM-Exclusive will be removed, we will still be selling exclusive licenses but we will always contact you first before proceeding.

If you're wondering why we're removing that option on the licence type, it's simply because it tends to confuse users and we would always contact you to check first anyway so we're just simplifying the process.

Cheers

James A

I should add to this - you will still be able to indicate if the image is available on Alamy only via an optional tick box in the image details.

Cheers

James A

authenticcreations

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2016, 11:40 »
+2
James, thanks. This was exactly what i was hoping for. Nice to hear that. Mirco

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2016, 11:15 »
Hi James,
Coming from microstock it is difficult to know which images to submit to Alamy rather than the other agencies.
If I am correct RF pictures can be sold on Alamy and the microstock agencies as well but not the RM ones?
Thanks!
Thomas

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2016, 11:34 »
Hi James,
Coming from microstock it is difficult to know which images to submit to Alamy rather than the other agencies.
If I am correct RF pictures can be sold on Alamy and the microstock agencies as well but not the RM ones?
Thanks!
Thomas

Hi Thomas. You can sell the same images on Alamy as you do on microstock sites but you shouldn't have conflicting licence types - so if you're selling work as RF elsewhere it needs to be RF on Alamy as well.

Likewise, if you've got RM work on other agencies, just make sure you place it as RM on Alamy too.

If you've got any other questions, just let me know.

Cheers

James A

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2016, 11:54 »
+1
I would like to give a try with Alamy, but I have 400+ files with "ZERO" sell since May 2015 untile now in Alamy, I do have same quantity with other agencies at sametime, and they all sell good, so now I have no idea what's going on with my file in Alamy?

should I keep uploading to Alamy and give it a try?

as you can see it still "Zero" Sell since May 2015

yes, i too like to hear if there is any explanation for this. as i mentioned before, i was with alamy from the inception and had a good number in port with 100% approval each upload. but after years of
-no views
-no dls (obviously due to above)
-not listed in list of photographers

i closed my a/c in frustration, a total wot.

i know it's a bit much to assume sales would be as good and regular as ss, or even is before bruce sold out. but even fotolia and dt as bad as they were still got us payout (eventually).
it's diificult for me to believe 48% for alamy in this case, based on my past record.

if however, this is due to a lot of changes at alamy, i like to know.
but again, without actual sales, i won't be lifting off my b*m for anything below ss.

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2016, 12:19 »
Was that video clips that didn't sell?  I think you must of been doing something wrong with the keywords to not sell any images in that time.

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2016, 22:20 »
Hi James,
Thanks!
Thomas

Hi Thomas. You can sell the same images on Alamy as you do on microstock sites but you shouldn't have conflicting licence types - so if you're selling work as RF elsewhere it needs to be RF on Alamy as well.

Likewise, if you've got RM work on other agencies, just make sure you place it as RM on Alamy too.

If you've got any other questions, just let me know.

Cheers

James A

Thanks James.