MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: The World of Micro stock Photography  (Read 5358 times)

whatever

« on: March 10, 2016, 22:25 »
+11
Here are the things that you will experience:

Long hours
   Slow returns
   Abuse from other artists, family, friends
   Copycats to include yourself at times (yeah, you say similar while looking on the most popular page but be honest with yourself)
   Rejections without valid merit (Most times that beautiful waterfall shot has no commercial value but they wont tell you that)
   New friendship
   Lost friendship
   Frustration
   Sleepless nights
   Checking stats every 20 minutes (of course I dont do that)
   Lower earnings per image each year
   The Wall (Yeah, you rookies brag about 100% to 300% per year but its coming sooner than you think- enjoy the moment while it last)
   Justifying travel expenses (sure you make a ton of sales on that landscape shot when it has been taken over a few million times by local photographers)
   Dreaming you will be the next Yuri (buy a lotto ticket you will have higher odds)
   Offer free photos of your friends (oh, by the way can you sign this model release which I forgot to tell you until after the photo session)
   Doing free work (Thinking you will recover the time and effort in future sales- NOT)
   Over stating your sales to others (called self-validating)
   Thinking you can quit you day time with this business (better hope your making minimum wage and living at home with mom)
   I need a 50 MP camera to produce great isolated shots (Love those tomatoes and 8mp cell phone would do the job as good)

Yeah, whatever...

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 22:46 »
+4
Having a bad day?

whatever

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 22:53 »
+5
Having a bad day?

define bad day? Sales were good and I made enough to pay the rent and bills. Just want to express the truth of the business --- the new folks will know exactly what they are getting into.  Nothing less - nothing more...

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 06:43 »
+2
Hi, I am totally new to microstock. What you have written made me smile. A friend of mine answers surveys and makes money fast with not much time wasted. Microstock is shocking. Unless you can snap a photo on a mobile without editing it's just not worth it. Is there no other way to sell photos? Pixersize buys microstock photos from Fotalia and sells them on canvas for lots of money while we get one pence.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

whatever

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 08:22 »
+2
Hi, I am totally new to microstock. What you have written made me smile. A friend of mine answers surveys and makes money fast with not much time wasted. Microstock is shocking. Unless you can snap a photo on a mobile without editing it's just not worth it. Is there no other way to sell photos? Pixersize buys microstock photos from Fotalia and sells them on canvas for lots of money while we get one pence.

You're a quick study! At least you have your eyes open and know the road a head of you.

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 08:27 »
+5
Having a bad day?

define bad day? Sales were good and I made enough to pay the rent and bills. Just want to express the truth of the business --- the new folks will know exactly what they are getting into.  Nothing less - nothing more...

Over stating your sales to others (called self-validating)

;)

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 08:41 »
+3

So? Follow your friend steps and start answer surveys.
I started with stock photography cause I love photography so I love to spend many time on it. Its a (paid) passion for me.
I already have a boring job without the need to get bored in the Free time too..
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:44 by philfreez »

whatever

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 09:03 »

So? Follow your friend steps and start answer surveys.
I started with stock photography cause I love photography so I love to spend many time on it. Its a (paid) passion for me.
I already have a boring job without the need to get bored in the Free time too..

Like many of us your boring job covers your hobby/passion. As long as you keep it in perspective that is cool.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 09:09 »
+3
No thanks, I don't want to fill out surveys. Taking photos for microstock takes a lot of time, time for ideas, setting it all up, buying items, taking the photo, editing, uploading.... It is not okay what they pay us. Without us they would have an empty website. Good for you if you get a few pence for your hobby, but some are professional photographers who take photos for a living.

whatever

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 09:23 »
No thanks, I don't want to fill out surveys. Taking photos for microstock takes a lot of time, time for ideas, setting it all up, buying items, taking the photo, editing, uploading.... It is not okay what they pay us. Without us they would have an empty website. Good for you if you get a few pence for your hobby, but some are professional photographers who take photos for a living.

a few things- 1. For everyone of us that leaves a site we are replaced by many.  2. The companies setup their businesses for us to follow.  3. Professional photographers still make a good living in this business plus are in other areas to make money that don't include the MS business

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 17:24 »
+1
I'd like to supplement my micro earnings.  How do you get started answering surveys?  Does it really pay worth the time?

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 18:41 »
I'd like to supplement my micro earnings.  How do you get started answering surveys?  Does it really pay worth the time?

most of these & other 'make money from home' scams can't pay off - instead they concentrate on selling you a website or a product to sell elsewhere

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 01:45 »

Easy to google it...no I don't think its worth it and it gets VERY boring

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 02:40 »
Most companies are bad. Some award winning companies pay 1.20 for a 10 minute long survey. They pay once you have earned 15. But most pay hardly anything. You have to invest a lot more time to get that 1.

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 14:38 »
Thanks for the answers about surveys.  Sounds worse than micro.  I'll stick with doing this for now.

Tyson Anderson

• www.openrangestudios.com
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 20:41 »
+3
I'm sure it's hard for the vets to watch the market get saturated and see profits dwindle away compared to what they used to be.  But for someone like me who just discovered this industry in the beginning of 2015, it's still a great way to channel my passion.  I've shot and processed photos and videos for years purely out of passion (along with freelance work).  Now i have a way of working on my skill while making a monthly profit.  I then re-invest profits to acquire more equipment and increase profits.  There's no way of convincing me this is a waste of time considering i already spent my free time doing this without income.  I think it's just best to be practical about what you'll get out of it.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 13:22 »
+1

No. They pay you dollars and when you try to cash, they are survey dollars, not real money. Your pay is a sweepstakes entry. They sell your information and you get spammed. They give you a qualification survey and then say, survey is filled or you are matching the group they want. But they have that part of the data for free. You might get a free sample of something. Not worth the promises or time.

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 13:24 »
Yes, most are like that apart from a very few award winning companies.

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 15:29 »

No. They pay you dollars and when you try to cash, they are survey dollars, not real money. Your pay is a sweepstakes entry. They sell your information and you get spammed. They give you a qualification survey and then say, survey is filled or you are matching the group they want. But they have that part of the data for free. You might get a free sample of something. Not worth the promises or time.

Good to know.  Thanks!