MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: 500px - Kelly Thompson strikes again  (Read 61505 times)

« Reply #175 on: April 06, 2016, 12:25 »
+3
i deleted all my files from 500px although i had nice sales , from 300 photos had 38 sales in a few months. i will upload again despite the lower 30% only if the photos will have a watermark on them (not the joke that is right now).

« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2016, 17:27 »
+1
Will their reviewing process still suck as bad as it did before the cuts? ;D

So far zero improvement.

angelawaye

• Eat, Sleep, Keyword. Repeat

« Reply #177 on: April 06, 2016, 21:04 »
+11

« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2016, 03:38 »
+5
I wonder if they are doing special deals for their top contributors?  Lots of people never used istock and left Getty because they couldn't take their unfair low percentage.  They probably have a lot of people that were making lots of money for them that just wont tolerate a cut from 70 to 30%.  Are they really just going to let them all go?

Still hard to understand how sites don't notice that paying at least 50% makes them the good guys and gets people working with them, instead of removing their images and telling everyone they know how greedy they are.  I'm sure the 50% has worked great for Alamy, Pond5 and Stocksy.  They can still make big profits and have a much larger group of contributors backing them.

« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2016, 03:45 »
+2
The other day I saw a lot of Thai people applying for Getty/iStock with ports on 500x, including the one with the image of 2 boys catching a fish, which was posted here recently

dpimborough

« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2016, 03:57 »
+1
The other day I saw a lot of Thai people applying for Getty/iStock with ports on 500x, including the one with the image of 2 boys catching a fish, which was posted here recently

That's interesting where did you see these applications?  Do you work for Getty/iStock?

« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2016, 05:13 »
+1

That's interesting where did you see these applications?  Do you work for Getty/iStock?

I don't work for them, I'm just a contributor at Getty.
Anyway you can see it here http://workwithus.gettyimages.com/en/gallery

« Reply #182 on: June 21, 2016, 17:12 »
+3
I received e-mail from 500px today titled "Get ready for more global exposure"

They say they are expanding the community with 500px.me, the mandarin version of the site, so images will be sync'd on both sites. There is an option to opt out of global distribution, so I went and opted out.

I am no longer in marketplace (when they slashed royalties), but I did leave my images already uploaded on 500px.com. I'm not yet ready to take images with such a weak watermark to their Mandarin site (I'm already pretty disappointed that they did nothing about the watermark after all the focus group stuff prior to hiring KK Thompson).

Possibly I should just delete the portfolio completely, but I'm still sort of hoping something might improve there.

Anyway, just an FYI for anyone who still has images with them.

Mr Nobody

« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2016, 17:54 »
+8
Closed my account ---- ;)

« Reply #184 on: June 22, 2016, 00:09 »
+6
Closed my account ---- ;)

So do I  :)

« Reply #185 on: June 22, 2016, 02:37 »
+2
I received e-mail from 500px today titled "Get ready for more global exposure"

They say they are expanding the community with 500px.me, the mandarin version of the site, so images will be sync'd on both sites. There is an option to opt out of global distribution, so I went and opted out.

I am no longer in marketplace (when they slashed royalties), but I did leave my images already uploaded on 500px.com. I'm not yet ready to take images with such a weak watermark to their Mandarin site (I'm already pretty disappointed that they did nothing about the watermark after all the focus group stuff prior to hiring KK Thompson).

Possibly I should just delete the portfolio completely, but I'm still sort of hoping something might improve there.

Anyway, just an FYI for anyone who still has images with them.

They really are unbelievable. Too many people must have opted out because the opt out possibility has been removed.This is what it says on the FAQ page:
Is there an Opt In/Out option?

"Unlike the first iteration of the new Home feed in February, there will no longer be an Opt In/Out option. This option was solely used to gather feedback from our community to ensure expectations were met by the time we made this new Home experience available to our entire community."

I had removed most of my images from the Marketplace. Sold another three this month and started to believe in 500pix again but after this latest thing I guess I just have to close my account. I hope they still pay out. I guess starting deleting images is the only thing while I'm waiting for pay out...

SORRY THIS SEEMS A MISTAKE THERE STILL IS AN OPT OUT POSSIBILITY. LOOKED AT THE WRONG FAQ PAGE... DON'T KNOW HOW TO DELETE THE ABOVE
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 02:47 by hofhoek »

« Reply #186 on: June 23, 2016, 13:54 »
+6
They are scums.

« Reply #187 on: June 23, 2016, 15:03 »
+5

(I'm already pretty disappointed that they did nothing about the watermark after all the focus group stuff prior to hiring KK Thompson).

it should have been a red flag for everyone even after ignoring the need of a strong wmark...
and they brought it KKT.
hyenas do not procreate with horses.
furthermore, lest we forget, istock started as a free image agency , didn't they???
anyone assoicated with the blood-letting of istock should never be given a second chance
to bleed us for second time around.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #188 on: June 23, 2016, 15:43 »
... istock started as a free image agency , didn't they???
Not exactly.
It started as a means for artists to share images. I wasn't around then, but I believe the model was that you had to upload X images to get one back - effectively an early 'credits' system. (Someone who was 'in with the bricks' can correct this as appropriate.)

« Reply #189 on: June 23, 2016, 19:23 »
+6
Despite deleting all my photos weeks ago, I received this email from 500px today:

"Congratulations! A license of your photo Happy Mother's Day at the Beach was sold and you earned $7.69 USD."

I did have one pending sale before I deleted everything, but to be honest I can't remember if it was that image. I also now can't access my sales or payment page to check or request payout.

I have emailed them asking how they sold a license of a deleted photo and how I'm supposed to access my payment. Just wanted to post a heads-up that deleting your photos on there may not be enough.

« Reply #190 on: June 24, 2016, 06:46 »
+1
He he...  Most of us are dying for sales and you are getting it even after removing your photos

« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2016, 10:33 »
+11
 They are so not to be trusted!! I just sold an image(for a mere $1.81) with 500px while I had my account deleted a month ago. So they still keep my images for sale while I don't want them to. Don't start with them, don't upload your images with them, they will keep them as if they own them.
Anyone knows how to fix this problem?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:35 by hofhoek »

« Reply #192 on: September 30, 2016, 05:55 »
Jebi jim mater.

« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2016, 19:32 »
+8
I've finally left. It was a waste of my time, no sales, no reviews of submitted images, zero customer support.

« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2016, 10:36 »
+6
I left two months ago but my images still went for sale and now after two months they are supposed to have been finally deleted from the site as they promised me. However... They are not on the marketplace anymore but they are still there and visible and for grabs. NEVER, NEVER start there.

« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2016, 12:45 »
+1
disappointing  >:( >:(

« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2016, 18:08 »
+5
I've finally left. It was a waste of my time, no sales, no reviews of submitted images, zero customer support.

Same here, closed my account, utterly unprofessional, no idea how they stay in business.

« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2016, 22:49 »
+3
I left two months ago but my images still went for sale and now after two months they are supposed to have been finally deleted from the site as they promised me. However... They are not on the marketplace anymore but they are still there and visible and for grabs. NEVER, NEVER start there.

Thx for the warning.  I have been thinking about uploading to some new (to me) sites to make up for what I will lose pulling out of Istock.  500px will be one I cross off my list.

« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2016, 23:13 »
+9
I also deleted my account after KT cut commissions. Sounding like he brought some Istock quality with him.

« Reply #199 on: November 03, 2016, 05:48 »
I also deleted my account after KT cut commissions. Sounding like he brought some Istock quality with him.

I'm curious. Is this more than two months ago and are your images really gone? I closed my account but when I go to 500px and fill in my name I still see them. I didn't log in because the time starts ticking again and then you have to wait another two months.