MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Are the Low Earners worth uploading to?  (Read 31827 times)

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2016, 12:31 »
A lot of Zoonar sales are through partner sites and they can take ages to finally get up for sale similarly on other low earners I suspect

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2016, 14:25 »
+1
Hm, Zoonar shows my earnings updated each month. And almost each second month I have really nice sales, really nice big sales. That's my experiences.

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2016, 01:30 »
Does anybody know an FTP uploader  that let's me add keywords  and  description  to  an image?  I  was accepted  by iStock  today. I  will  see how it goes and maybe just work for them.  I  can't  do that to copy and  paste  everything  to 5 agencies. 

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2016, 03:56 »
+1
Does anybody know an FTP uploader  that let's me add keywords  and  description  to  an image?
I  was accepted  by iStock  today. I  will  see how it goes and maybe just work for them. 

At one time, that would have been a perfectly reasonable plan; nowadays not so much. They are a rudderless ship rushing this way and that without any discernable plan. But then, SS, for some time the darling of msg, seems to be heading the same way.
Is iS accepting FTP now? I didn't know that.
Many iS suppliers, but not me, prefer to use Deep Meta to upload to iS than to upload directly. You could try it out. However, it ONLY works with iStock. I'm sure it is worth it if you have releases to sort out; reportedly it does a good job with them.
http://www.deepmeta.com

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2016, 04:24 »
Why do i need Deepmeta ? Is uploading  more difficult  than on other websites?  I  don't know if iStock accepts FTP. I  only just got accepted.  I  was asking for the other ones I upload to at the moment.  Fotolia  and DT.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2016, 04:54 »
I don't  find it difficult,  but I seem to be in a minority  of  one, and I only have Alamy to compare it to. You have to get used to the controlled vocabulary and be aware that if your main subject isn't  in the CV, you need to ask on the keyword forum and be very patient. However unless you need less usual locations or species, that will seldom be an issue, and as iS transitions rapidly to be a subs site, it's  no longer a good match for low-demand, low-supply files as it once was.

My advice, which I know isn't  great in your circumstances, is to try the top agencies and see which work well for your files - they don't perform equally for everyone. A reasonable trial term would be a year, to take account of seasonal ups and downs.

Just remember when seeking advice:
  • No-one else has your port.
  • People who have enough experience to be able to give you advice have portfolios which already have traction in the agencies. New files may do better or worse according to which search algorithm any particular agency is trying out.
  • Agencies change all the time, and seldom for our benefit. First iS was the darling, then it was SS, but now ... ???

Anyway, good luck. I'm pretty certain iS doesn't have ftp for uploading stills.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 16:21 by ShadySue »

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2016, 05:24 »
No it doesn't have FTP and its uploading process even via Deepmeta is time consuming compared with other sites. ShadySue offers sound advice be guided by your own experience of sites.

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2016, 06:31 »
Does anybody know an FTP uploader  that let's me add keywords  and  description  to  an image?  I  was accepted  by iStock  today. I  will  see how it goes and maybe just work for them.  I  can't  do that to copy and  paste  everything  to 5 agencies. 

You can use Stocksubmitter http://stocksubmitter.com/. You keyword your images once (you can also attach model releases and choose categories). You click upload once -and the program uploads and submits(!) the images to all the agencies you set up. No need to visit the agency websites at all. It works with most agencies (including iStock and Alamy).

Upload is always free. Submitting is free for 33 files per month. You can buy more submits if you need them.

If you sign up, it would be nice to give [email protected] as your referrer email.

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2016, 07:00 »
Hello amavu, I  think Stocksubmitter is only for Windows.  I  recently  switched to a MAC.

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2016, 08:58 »
+1
You can use any software (e.g. Irfanview, that's free) that writes IPTC for keywording offline. Than use any FTP client (e.g. Filezilla) for FTP upload.

« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2016, 09:12 »
I  bought EasyStock  for uploading.  Does IPTC let me add title and description  as well?

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2016, 09:14 »
Hello  dirkr. I  just checked but IrfanView is for Windows  and not for Mac.

« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2016, 09:22 »
+2
IPTC let's you add title and description as well.
Didn't know that Irfanview doesn't run on Mac, but I'm sure there are other (free) editors allowing you to enter IPTC data for Mac as well...

However you do it, I would strongly advise to enter all Metadata offline and then upload to the sites where you want to sell
Avoids duplicate work and also you have a fully keyworded version of your files on your own  harddrive. Comes handy when you decide for a new agency to upload to.

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2016, 18:47 »
Hi, some info from a beginner
[Sorry, automatic translation]
Here is my experience after 120 days.
I downloaded my first images since the beginning of the year:
SS iS, FL, DT, DP, and CS PantherMedia (PM)
Validation of photos:
- According microstocks: 380/280 retained
- DT and FL are the most selective (to absurd ... but ... we do not know the guidelines and the spirit of the inspectors ...)
- The most reactive: SS valid images in 1 or 2 days.
- The slowest: PantherMedia! I still have 68 images waiting for 6 weeks!
- FL: 1 to 2 weeks
- IStock takes his time ...

sales results
- Some pictures with a 'good' commission (1.88 / 0.81 for SS, 4.32 / 1.44 for MI, 6.52 for iS).
Otherwise all other images are on the floor.
Sales amount (to date)
- SS: 24.16
- IS: 15.16
- FL: 10.24
Number of sales:
- SS: 74
- IS: 21
Fla: 11
Needless to mention other ...
I do not know if it's good or not ... (well came review)

It seems to me that this is an activity that lasts over time.
In recent auctions, there were achievements of the first hour ...
It is chaotic: almost no results last week, and 3 sales 'good' raked the weekend.
With my few hundred sold, I was able to establish some guidelines. For example :
- I think FT iS and do not sell the same type of images SS
- Horizontal images are much ... much more sold than vertical images
- The white background of images are sold as the other images (about 2/3)
After this test, I took some decisions:
- Abandonment of DT. No results for a major site (?) Industry.
- CS-surrender.
- Subscription Alamy (almost 100 images already uploaded)
- I will take a decision for PM when they come out of hibernation ...
- For now I wait to see DP
Some problems :
- I really regret that Ligthroom class keywords by alphabetical list. Recently, just before the download, I got used to open the images in Photoshop to place the keywords.
- Sites show quite well the IPTC but not always the same (title, legend, etc ...)
- The different interfaces (DeepMeta, FT, SS, Alamy ... and surprising PantherM!)
- With or without separators, with or without plural, number of words, characters, etc ...

Here's some info from a beginner.
Thank you for your attention

My experience being similar to yours, other than I don't have more than 150 files on  any site and only contribute to SS, IS, FT, DT, DP, CanStockPh, Alamy and Zoonar. The latter three have generated no sales yet. 

« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2016, 23:21 »
Hello  Zalee, I tried to Google your Xpiks ftp uploader  but can't  find  it.

Hi HappyBunny, so sorry I didn't see this earlier. I just googled xpiks to find it: https://ribtoks.github.io/xpiks/
The maker is also a microstocker and he is very helpful if you have any problems. There is a forum to ask questions, there is also a thread on Shutterstock which he replies to. You might need a shutterstock account to access the thread:
http://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/77044-xpiks-open-source-software-for-microstocker/

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2016, 05:03 »
+1
Hello Zalee, thank you  soooo much. I  just downloaded  the  program.  I felt like crying when I  saw that I can add keywords and description.  What a life saver that is. I  can't  understand  why  EasyStock  didn't add that option. I  have  not used it yet to a upload  to a website  yet.  But will try it out soon.

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2016, 05:53 »
Hello  Zalee, I tried to Google your Xpiks ftp uploader  but can't  find  it.

Hi HappyBunny, so sorry I didn't see this earlier. I just googled xpiks to find it: https://ribtoks.github.io/xpiks/
The maker is also a microstocker and he is very helpful if you have any problems. There is a forum to ask questions, there is also a thread on Shutterstock which he replies to. You might need a shutterstock account to access the thread:
http://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/77044-xpiks-open-source-software-for-microstocker/

This looks amazing, how does this compare to stocksubmitter? Can it submit images? Are the keywords amazingly better

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2016, 01:38 »

This looks amazing, how does this compare to stocksubmitter? Can it submit images? Are the keywords amazingly better

Yes, I use it to submit to SS, DT, FT, BS, DP. I find keywords at MyKeyworder and add those. Sorry, it's the only one I have used, so I have no idea about any other FTP uploader.

I use DeepMeta for iStock and find it is just a little bit easier than webloader because you can do a batch at once rather than one at a time. You still have to manually click through keywords and categories but can upload the lot at once.

It's all a huge learning curve but little by little I am figuring out things... only with the help of fantastic people on this site.