MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Do you get a lot of refunds on Video Blocks?  (Read 23287 times)

« on: April 27, 2016, 19:15 »
+2
I think I recall some people in here saying that they've got a bunch of sales on Video Blocks and then they were refunded. I had 6 video sales last week and all of them were refunded. Now I suspect the person who bought them has my files for free.  I know VB no longer comes in here like they used to but it would be nice if they explained what is happening and how they intend to fix it. The files purchased were all different files of the same theme, so the crook has a good cross section to use.

VB if you're listening, you owe it to us to provide some substantive response.

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 19:25 »
+2
I don't get why stock website give refunds. I mean I know why; they want to be friendly to the customer, but there is no way to track if the person who got refunded is using the image/video or not. The videos have previews and if you like it you buy it.

I feel like once a customer realizes he can get a refund, he's going to take advantage of that situation again and again. And somewhere down the line, they're going to use that video that they got for free. These stocks sites need to implement a refund limit for every buyer (like 1 video per quarter), if they haven't already.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 23:33 »
Last week I had 4 sales and on the next day all of them were refunded.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 00:01 »
+2
I haven't had any yet.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 00:22 »
I haven't had any yet either

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 01:26 »
Same here, no refund for the moment!

SpaceStockFootage

• Space, Sci-Fi and Astronomy Related Stock Footage

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 01:30 »
+1
Only had six sales there so far, but no refunds yet. I'm sure they'll come!

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 05:08 »
+1
20+ sales just one refund so far. I find Alamy does the refund thing fairly regularly, enough for it to be annoying especially when I think they should just report on sales once they're final.

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 07:35 »
I thought they said they only allow refunds if the file had not been downloaded?

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 14:03 »
+1
Zero sales. Zero new uploads for now.

SpaceStockFootage

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 03:42 »
I thought they said they only allow refunds if the file had not been downloaded?

That's probably the case, but if they're getting chargebacks from CC companies/Paypal... would they show up as refunds as well, or reversals?

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 04:23 »
+2
No refunds so far

SquirrelPower

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 09:18 »
+3
Very few refunds here but there should be no refunds on digital products just as is the case with software, once you open the package you own it no exceptions.  There is no way for the retailer to know you didn't copy or install the software and same here with photos and videos.  All agencies should have a clear no refunds policy posted.

I'm not buying the line that oh the customer clicked, paid for and downloaded the file in error and isn't going to use it, that's the customers responsibility to be more careful.

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 15:17 »
Very few refunds here but there should be no refunds on digital products just as is the case with software, once you open the package you own it no exceptions.  There is no way for the retailer to know you didn't copy or install the software and same here with photos and videos.  All agencies should have a clear no refunds policy posted.

I'm not buying the line that oh the customer clicked, paid for and downloaded six files the file in error and isn't going to use it, that's the customers responsibility to be more careful.

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 10:21 »
+1
I've had my first 2 refunds last week.

SquirrelPower

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 17:21 »
+3
Once again Videoblocks is proving to be one of the best and most trustworthy, competent and honest of the bunch, takes the time to read the forums and comes in here and gives a good clear answer to our concerns.  Nice to see.

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 19:39 »
+1
Hi Mantis -- Thanks for your post.  As you know, fraud is a real issue across all stock sites (and eCommerce in general) and VideoBlocks is no different. The most common reason we offer refunds to our customers are in cases of payment fraud. We take this matter very seriously and are actively pursuing remedies that help identify and deter fraud, but not even the latest technology and best operating procedures are able to prevent all fraud. Fraud is painful for us, even as a small percentage of overall sales volume, and we know it is painful for you, too, in any form.  Please know that in any case where you are seeing refunds, that VideoBlocks is not profiting from those transactions in any way.  We work hard to provide the best service in the industry to our contributor and we are always happy to look into your case specifically.  Please give us a call directly on 888-802-7316 and ask for me (Mike).  While we keep an eye on the forums, a phone call is always the quickest way to have your needs met.  Thank you so much for your engagement and trust!

Mike,

I appreciate you coming in to clarify. I am in no way accusing VB of anything just to be clear.  It is frustrating, though, when this happens and sales are already hard to come by. Appreciate you chiming in.

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 22:14 »
+2
I'm baffled by microstockcredit card fraud. I completely believe that it's happening, but what the heck kind of thief steals a credit card number and uses it to buy a digital photo? Where is their ambition!? What happened to brazenly walking into Target and walking out with a flat screen tv?

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 02:08 »
+1
I'm baffled by microstockcredit card fraud. I completely believe that it's happening, but what the heck kind of thief steals a credit card number and uses it to buy a digital photo? Where is their ambition!? What happened to brazenly walking into Target and walking out with a flat screen tv?

Yeah hard to believe why someone would use a stolen credit card to buy a photo...especially when you can download so many illegally. Video is not as readily available for free I suppose.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 03:33 by emblem »

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 04:11 »
+1
Once again Videoblocks is proving to be one of the best and most trustworthy, competent and honest of the bunch, takes the time to read the forums and comes in here and gives a good clear answer to our concerns.  Nice to see.
Just like Pond5 were doing a year ago.  Funny how all the sites seem so nice until they reach a certain size and then they all change.  Alamy has been the exception to the rule so far, long may it stay that way.  I hope Videoblocks are different to almost all other sites but I'm not expecting them to be.

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 08:03 »
+1
Just like Pond5 were doing a year ago.  Funny how all the sites seem so nice until they reach a certain size and then they all change.  Alamy has been the exception to the rule so far, long may it stay that way.  I hope Videoblocks are different to almost all other sites but I'm not expecting them to be.

I was going to say something similar, but you beat me to it.  SS is a good example, too. Used to come in here and actively participate. Now, they are nowhere to be found....and our EL's have been cut.

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 19:14 »
+1
On Saturday I had 3 refunds in one day. I have been getting at least 2 a week.
Does the person who is asking for the refund have the clips? Where they able to download before the refund?
I am deeply concerned that my footage is being stolen. I have investigated refunding a clip that I bought from the store front and it appears you can do it after having downloaded the footage.

Mikes from videoblocks comment on the issue: "The most common reason we offer refunds to our customers are in cases of payment fraud". I do not get it? Either you get the payment or you don't. If it is a credit card it is automatically scanned upon payment to confirm if it is a) legitimate card and is valid b) has credit on it to carry out the transactions. This all happens before payment is approved.

If it is fraudulent and the credit card issuer is at fault then it is covered under the banks insurance (or visa/mastercard) and the bank does not go around asking for it money back for transactions that took place while the card was being used fraudulently.

Payments can not be made via paypal without having either credit in the account or a linked bank account. All of this is checked upon during checkout.

Videoblocks should explain what they talking about as I do not get that it is fraud and not just a refund. The refund feature should be turned off once the clips has being downloaded by the customer.

SpaceStockFootage

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2017, 22:33 »
+1
the bank does not go around asking for it money back for transactions that took place while the card was being used fraudulently.

They can and they do... it's very common. You're right about payments not being processed if there isn't money on an active card, or insufficient money in a Paypal account. In all these instances, there was money available to spend on active accounts... they wouldn't have been able to process the payments otherwise, so you wouldn't have even known about the sale in the first place if that wasn't the case.

It's what happens afterwards that is the issue. Both Paypal and card companies have procedures for getting the money back for fraudulent purchases. Usually called reversals or chargebacks. There's not much companies can do about it... the money is taken automatically and the company in question isn't required to approve or reject anything. It's just gone. Something they agree to when they use those payment sources as an option for their customers.

They may have insurance, and may reimburse the customer no questions asked (near enough), but that doesn't mean they're not going to go after their money. Banks like their money!