pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: dissolve's final retaliation, they closed my account today  (Read 5678 times)

« on: May 25, 2016, 17:04 »
Dear *****,

This notification is to inform you that due to breach of Contributors obligation to maintain confidentiality of Dissolves business activities, and as stated in paragraphs 11.1 and 13.2 of the agreement between ***** (*****) and Dissolve, dated August 18, 2014, Dissolve is exercising its option to terminate the agreement effective immediately. As such, ***** Product will be removed from Dissolve.com by May 31, 2016.

Dissolve
 Extraordinary stock footage and photography
 dissolve.com
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 00:53 by unnonimus »

stockVid

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 18:00 »
+6
wow - that's harsh.

Dissolve really sucks. Total paranoia.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 18:00 »
+7
Ouch.  Well, no loss.  Well, their loss - you and everyone else that follows this discussion.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 18:56 »
+8
Glad I am out.  Now we know their true colors, which were hidden under a rainbow facade when they first started. Whatever, don't sweat it, they won't be around for too long.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 19:49 »
+7
Whow, overemotional, punitive and paranoid.

I think doing business on the internet and working with online communities is just not their thing.

Makes you wonder how they treat their customers, either you know how to work with people or you dont.

So glad I never joined.

Also shows how smart the videoblocks people are. They have a longterm view, hope they stay that way.

k_t_g

• wheeeeeeeeee......
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 22:18 »
+1
I guess when they have many choices of cows to milk not to mention, to have that attitude, they see artists as poor stupid livestock.  :P

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 00:52 »
+5
and I should point out that I did not violate their contract as they claim. I don't have any confidential information about dissolve, and therefor it is impossible to disclose anything. so they will terminate contributors without just cause.

I have been working with large numbers of companies for many years, built my first web page in 1994. I used to have 150 employees. I can say beyond any doubt that when a company has a certain way of behaving, or a certain attitude amongst its employees they never change. I have gone years with the same subpar treatment from many companies and they do it to everyone and hide it. sometimes it is the lower level employees, and sometimes it is from the top.

the sad part is that so many companies are afraid of their clients that they make stupid decisions thinking they are preserving their company and they in fact do the opposite.

glad I moved out of the US, in the part of the world I live in, you can go in and talk to the owner of the biggest companies, 1000x larger than dissolve, and they are more than happy to talk to people and fix problems.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 08:27 »
+9
Sorry, but I have to add my two cents to this.

First off, having a skeptical, healthy amount of critical awareness of the worst parts and players in this business is generally a good thing. So I hope contributors keep poking at them and we always maintain a sustained push towards our side. The greedy ones reaching their hands deeper in our pockets should know we got our eye on them.

That being said, Dissolve isn't among the worst. They pay-out and price on par with Shutterstock, Fotolia. They have a major flaw in their policy of matching a contributors clip sale prices with Videoblocks, if one contributes to both, while still only paying out Shutterstock/Fotolia percentages on the back end. They refuse to recognize how this is a deal breaker for those of us with higher personal business standards, who are trying to keep a sustained income from this business.

The support and communication from them discussing their misguided policy was refreshingly warm and friendly. Although we never came to an agreement, I walked away without hating them. I have never had any affiliation with Dissolve, in any way, shape or form beyond those conversations.

Now, the individual who has been ranting and making all these duplicate posts about how awful Dissolve has been treating them, he has a history of odd forum behavior. On the Pond5 forums a while back, dozens of spammy, rambling, nonsensical rants about a variety of things, which frequently devolved into inappropriate attacks, from him, when challenged in any capacity. I was not personally involved in any discussions, but I saw them play out and this individual was always on the incoherent-screaming-guy-on-the-street side of things. So I'd take anything claimed here with a grain, er, a lot of salt.

Specific to this topic, let me see if I have this straight; Dissolve is a company doing business how THEY want to. You submitted thousands of clips to them, they communicated to you that they would like it done a certain way. You refused. They continued to communicate and try to work with you and specify how to get your clips up and selling to their standards, and all you did was attempt to argue that Dissolve should change the way THEY do THEIR business, how they should accept and organize content. Dissolve understandably freezes your submissions because of your refusal to follow their guidlines, but continues to communicate with you and I'm sure repeatedly explaining to you exactly what they are doing, why, and how to move forward. And then you go to a public forum and copy/paste what EVERYONE in ANY business should know is generally considered a PRIVATE correspondence?

Dissolve is 150% correct in this situation. Why would anyone want to work/deal with someone like that?

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 09:28 »
+5
Specific to this topic, let me see if I have this straight; Dissolve is a company doing business how THEY want to. You submitted thousands of clips to them, they communicated to you that they would like it done a certain way. You refused. They continued to communicate and try to work with you and specify how to get your clips up and selling to their standards, and all you did was attempt to argue that Dissolve should change the way THEY do THEIR business, how they should accept and organize content. Dissolve understandably freezes your submissions because of your refusal to follow their guidlines, but continues to communicate with you and I'm sure repeatedly explaining to you exactly what they are doing, why, and how to move forward. And then you go to a public forum and copy/paste what EVERYONE in ANY business should know is generally considered a PRIVATE correspondence?

Dissolve is 150% correct in this situation. Why would anyone want to work/deal with someone like that?

I agree. Calling out employees by name and publicly asking to get them fired is definitely not a way to communicate. I wouldn't want to work with a business partner like that.

Add to that that the "titles" in questions are mostly written in keyword format, not as a readable text. I'd say it is common practice to have a speaking title/description of stock files, not just a short list of keywords. So I'd say Dissolve is 200% correct.

It's their business, and I especially don't understand contributors complaining when at the same time they do their best to distribute their work as widely as possible through any channel at the same time.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 09:32 »
+2
I would have been more suprised if they hadn't deleted your account after your post about them.  That doesn't mean that I don't sympathize with you about certain things.

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 10:42 »
+8
Need a new post "This is how you get your portfolio removed from Dissolve."

It would be VERY useful for a lot of people who want to get theirs removed from Dissolve.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 09:10 »
Congrats!  It's good that you can move on now.  Dissolve is a bad place for contributors.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 11:51 »
+1
Sorry, but you are wrong with these statements:

"They continued to communicate and try to work with you"

No they did not, they ignored me and ignored me and ignored me. Refusing to review my uploads is not "continuing to work with me", and neither is refusing to respond to my emails or my requests to speak to them. and this started from the beginning. in addition, if I inquired about why they did something, they changed their policy to make them more difficult to work with.

Second of all, I never put keywords in the titles. Keywords are words just like anything else. I merely removed prepositions and other useless words, and it only affected a few videos. 75% of my titles were written very well, such as "Hispanic man talking on phone". but they think that is too short, and they want titles that are "short narratives".

here is one of their lousy titles that they require:
"Beach party at sunset with bonfire and roasting marshmellows with friends"
http://dissolve.com/products/001-D18-10-161

no party in video, no marshmallows, no roasting, no 'friends'. no sunset, no sun. just 1 woman and blurred out guy in background. no visual of beach, just water in background. no bonfire, just reflection of light. there is no reason why someone should have his account closed, be banned from uploading, etc beause of nonsense like this. and dissolve is filled with titles like this, I found it immediately.

in fact, not a single word in the title actually appears in the video.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 13:42 »
+1
Well, with clips like that it could be beneficial with abstract/concept descriptions.

Compare music sales - you don't search for power chords, arpeggios, c major, a minor, break, bridge. You search for - inspirational, motivating, feel-good, beach party, etc. That is how many people search.

Having marshmallows in there I agree is a bit of a stretch, but beach party, hanging out, friends, bonfire are all relevant.