pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Video on istock  (Read 27441 times)

« on: June 01, 2016, 09:11 »
So far I have avoided uploading video in low paying agencies and I have tried to keep my prices as high as possible.
But now the infamous membership program of P5 has killed the video market, so I am ready to upload even for breadcrumbs.
I am interested in trying istock even if I have heard that commissions for artist are incredibly low.
I have been around their web site, but I find it extremely confusing and cannot find the information I am looking for:
- First of all is it interesting to sell video there? (apart from the extremely low commission)
- What kind of file format is required for HD video?
- I understand that there is a limit for weekly uploads. How does it work?
- Do they have a forum?

Many thanks for replies

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 09:25 »
+8
so you want to f*** the video market even more by uploading to istock. bravo smart move

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 09:31 »
+1
so you want to f*** the video market even more by uploading to istock. bravo smart move
I am not sure, just enquiring.
The damage is already done. After the bloody membership thingy the market is already gone.
The new normal is single digit for a clip. No more sales on p5 and SS and FT will have to react and lower hte prices.
The only people that can save the video market are the artist partecipating to the p5 scheme by pulling out their files

stockVid

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 09:40 »
+4
I am not sure, just enquiring.
The damage is already done. After the bloody membership thingy the market is already gone.
The new normal is single digit for a clip. No more sales on p5 and SS and FT will have to react and lower hte prices.
The only people that can save the video market are the artist partecipating to the p5 scheme by pulling out their files

You are really overestimating the power of Pond5. The video market will be ok for many years to come.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 10:02 »
I have yet to upload videos to IS because of (potentially perceived and not real) difficulty in doing so. I am approved for video but haven't figured out if it's worth my time to figure out how to upload.

That said, whether it's worth it or not to me has more to do with what I receive from IS in terms of $$ than what they sell it for. IS has the lowest commission rates for photographers, too. But their images sell for similar prices as other sites. Same with videos. You might make less but the videos are not necessarily selling for the breadcrumbs they could be selling for at P5 or other places (Big stock, envato, etc).

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 14:01 »
+2

You are really overestimating the power of Pond5. The video market will be ok for many years to come.
[/quote]

The video market is very small, much smaller than the one for still images.
P5 was a major player.
The membership program is by far the biggest dumping in history: the price of clips went from around $75 to single figure overnight.
P5 are advertising very hard and they have now plenty of money for it
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 03:43 by Brightontl »

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 14:03 »
+2
I have yet to upload videos to IS because of (potentially perceived and not real) difficulty in doing so. I am approved for video but haven't figured out if it's worth my time to figure out how to upload.

That said, whether it's worth it or not to me has more to do with what I receive from IS in terms of $$ than what they sell it for. IS has the lowest commission rates for photographers, too. But their images sell for similar prices as other sites. Same with videos. You might make less but the videos are not necessarily selling for the breadcrumbs they could be selling for at P5 or other places (Big stock, envato, etc).
I just read in another thread that apparently istock requires a file format different from other agencies.
If that is the case it is definitely not worth bothering

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 15:01 »
+4

Talk about a huge overreaction! After a couple less than stellar months at P5 I raised my prices this month and had a very good month. Seems some artists are quicker to panic and lower prices than the agencies. Jeez!

As for istock, I won't be uploading any new video until they are offering a minimum of 30% royalties.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 15:04 by stockmn »

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 15:10 »
After a couple less than stellar months at P5 I raised my prices this month and had a very good month.

To what level? I'm experimenting a bit myself.

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 15:11 »
+1
I'm not on iStock, but if iStock format is the same as Getty's, you need to submit 4k in ProRes 422HQ.
Be prepared to earn pennies for your vids.

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 15:28 »
After a couple less than stellar months at P5 I raised my prices this month and had a very good month.

To what level? I'm experimenting a bit myself.

Not sure if this is the right price for me or not yet but I raised prices for all my newest 1080 to $159. I raised the price of one of my better sellers to $199 and it sold. I know others are raising prices as well and still selling. I figure that since P5 doesn't have an additional extended license and it's all included in the one price that prices should be higher than elsewhere. I'm also uploading prores versions to p5 and .h264 to all the others.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 02:09 »
So, apparently nobody is uploading video at istock.
Can someone tell me what file format is required for HD?

alno

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 02:43 »

Here is a list of requirements both for application (it's lowres!) and usual HD:

http://www.istockphoto.com/help/sell-stock/training-manuals/video/digital-video-requirements

Looks like they still doesn't accept 4K...

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 03:31 »

Here is a list of requirements both for application (it's lowres!) and usual HD:

http://www.istockphoto.com/help/sell-stock/training-manuals/video/digital-video-requirements

Looks like they still doesn't accept 4K...

Many thanks Irina. This is what I was looking for.
So apparently they require a specific format, I don't know if it is worth wasting the time to re render my clips
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 03:42 by Brightontl »

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 18:57 »
+2
I'm still waiting for the BIG announcement later this year.

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 13:06 »
+6
I stopped uploading video content to IStock almost 2 years ago ... I found a bit insulting when my cut from HD video sale (1080p) is less than $7.

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 13:20 »
+6
And just think, iStock wants video contributors to upload their 4K footage so that the contributor can get that same $7 when their 4K footage sells.

wds

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 13:32 »

BIG announcement from who?

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 18:04 »
+1

An Istock admin has said in their forums that BIG things are coming for video later this year, but they gave no specifics. So probably nothing to get excited about.

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 04:02 »
+1

P5 was a major player.
The membership program is by far the biggest dumping in history: the price of clips went from around $75 to single figure overnight.
[/quote]

Plenty of big figure non-membership POND5 sales to be had. You just have to shoot the right stuff and create your own niche.

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 10:33 »
+1

P5 was a major player.

Plenty of big figure non-membership POND5 sales to be had. You just have to shoot the right stuff and create your own niche.
[/quote]
Are you in the membership program? There are a lot of rumors that contributors to the program had their clips pushed up in the search engine. Anyway they seem to be the only ones still getting some sales.
Personally I was very happy eith the way things were going until the membership stuff started. Now sales have disappeared everywhere

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 21:31 »
i'm not in the membership program, but my pond5 sales have stayed about the same - about 50% images

I've recently started concentrating on more stock footage and they're only slowly getting onto pond, so it may take another few months to see how that changes

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2016, 00:25 »
+10
I'm seriously considering pulling all my videos from IStock. Today I've got $3.36 for 1080p footage sale ... I guess this should be considered as an insult  ???

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2016, 05:11 »
+8
I'm seriously considering pulling all my videos from IStock. Today I've got $3.36 for 1080p footage sale ... I guess this should be considered as an insult  ???

You should, it IS an insult.

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 03:34 »
Maybe the editorial is on the way?

An Istock admin has said in their forums that BIG things are coming for video later this year, but they gave no specifics. So probably nothing to get excited about.