MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Little help with rights  (Read 3359 times)

« on: June 16, 2016, 09:59 »
Hi I don't post much on the forum but have 2 quick question, firstly I'm struggling to get stuff on SS and as ever IS due to it being during an event. IE credentials required. but I'm pretty sure I don't need them

First one was a Red Arrows display at an Airshow in Torquay, the photos were taken from public land and it was a free to enter show run by the local council and other bodies, the images are marked as Editorial, but SS want a photographic even credentials for it!! whilst IS has let them through, Normally the other way around.

Secondly I was at a local agricultural show, This time the Royal Cornwall show, now I get how this could be more tricky as it a paid event and could be on private land, but I emailed the show asking if I needed any permission and are there any photographic protected rights and he stated in his short reply "Thank you for your email but we do not exercise any photographic rights over images taken at the show, however we are always grateful to receive a few good pictures for possible pr purposes in the future, should this be possible"

Now does this mean they don't have any restrictions or they don't allow any images??

If any one could get back to me that knows a little more about this that would be great..

Thanks
Seb

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 10:05 »
Ambiguous authorizations are dangerous, you can ask for them for a more complete authorization.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 10:09 »
Hi, why are your flight images editorial? I have checked today because I am going to an air show. On DT they are commercial. Now I also need to know more about this. I think you can take photos on the Royal Cornwall Show. I had an ice cream decorated with a wafer on it rejected for Intellectual property law. There was no name on that wafer. All that work for nothing.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 10:25 »
To be honest I think you will always get inconsistency about this if there is any doubt about the image. Best to live with it rather than search for "justice"

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 10:26 »
Hi it gets tricky when its a design, display or possible logos,

I know the RAF roundall logo is a potential grey area as the MOD are trying to or have got it registered as a TM.

in stock I always look at it as if its been designed so unique or has TM or logos, has people in it or a performance I tend to do it as Editorial, the Red Arrows are a unique display and they are decorated in RAF emblems and the Roundall etc, they are also a display and as such a bit like a performing artists, so its kinda like taking a picture of a piece or art, so I tend to go with Editorial.

I have however seen commercial ones for sale on SS but they may have releases, its the same with cars etc, they have been designed for looks not just function so I see them as somewhat classed as art so its editorial, nothing is concrete and I'm pretty clueless myself.

Fine art photography is a lot easier I will try and sell stuff from both of these shows without any problems, as long as identifiable people aren't involved..

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 10:29 »
So do you think I am ok to sell these at SS and IS, are you able to just copy the email I received to either agencies?? for there credentials etc, I will try and get a better response email than before but if im stuck with this one??

Thanks

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 14:14 »
Hi Seb, I do a lot of airshow photography -all submitted as editorial. Shutterstock initially introduced a credentials required for ALL airshows rule but I managed to get them to ammend this to a case by case basis. I actually had some great correspondence with them and they couldn't have been more helpful. Bottom line is free seafront airshows like Torquay (and in my case Eastbourne) are fine without credentials. However, you need to email credentials at Shutterstock with details of the Torquay airshow (links to airshow website etc). Once they are satified this is a free, public airshow they will provide a credential reference number which you can include with future submissions. I did this once for Eastbourne and just use the same ref. number for all future submissions. Ticketed air shows are a different matter and they will not take those without credentials. Istock will usually accept if it's aircraft up in the sky and Dreamstime and 123rf do not currently have any issues with either flight shots or on the ground. Regards, David.

ETA Just to make totally clear: SS do not require credentials for free public airshows but you will need a reference number to submit with the images -so that the reviewer knows there is no problem.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 14:31 by Newsfocus1 »

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 14:48 »
+1
As far as I ever knew, air shows were always off limits for commercial, and I thought, even editorial images.
http://wiki.gettyimages.com/air-shows-and-flight-teams/

There's enough of it out there, though, and it's all pretty much the same (someone looking up to the sky), that I can't imagine it's worth the time to upload it.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 02:50 »
As far as I ever knew, air shows were always off limits for commercial, and I thought, even editorial images.
http://wiki.gettyimages.com/air-shows-and-flight-teams/

There's enough of it out there, though, and it's all pretty much the same (someone looking up to the sky), that I can't imagine it's worth the time to upload it.

I do have a few and occasional sale but certainly not worth any time stressing if they are not accepted

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 03:26 »
Hi thanks for all the replies, I emailed shutterstock credentials and after a few days got a ref number to use the images from the air show and the royal Cornwall show, so all is good.

Have uploaded them all now, the ones from the show last year seemed to sell okish, so they are worth doing, will see about the air show..

Thanks for all your help

Seb.