pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Unlimited download - PROBLEM / my opinion  (Read 3238 times)

« on: June 20, 2016, 11:39 »
+3
Hello guys !
As contributor and buyer I'm questioning "unlimited download" plateform.
I think Photospin works that way, but they paid contributors a % of the subscription plan which is allright in one sens.
Videoblock just buy clips to contributors and never give anymore money after.
I've just subscribes to "Art-List" for music and I can download music... no limit. - I've asked how the contributors are paid and got no precise answer.

Question:
I'm thinking that imagine if Videoblock have a huge list of videos of all kinds and are just selling it with subscription plan... then contributors won't have anything for the future. That beeing said, I have to said that I've refused to sell clips to them the price they wanted to buy it which was 1/10 the price it would have to be because I was thinking about WHAT IF !??

What if everyone said yes... what is they really have all the necessary videos on the unlimited download subscription.
WHAT IF !??

That would mean that they could just lower their subscription after few years... take the control of stock footage and no giving any more royalties to contributors !!!

I was also thinking about price. Dreamstime have a 250$ price (I think) if someone is buying an image to use for sale. some extended rights, etc. I would not let a video for less than this amount to an agency. Selling a video 5 times on videoblocks give me almost this amount... why would I be selling my clip for not anymore money for 1/10 (not even) that price ?

If they ask, it's because some people said yes... we are in trouble.

Finally, contributors should ALWAYS have a % of ANY sales. if it's subscription, well like shutterstock, they have a download limit. If it't unlimited, well make maths at the end of the month and divide subscription plan per download with contributors like Photospin.
out of that, my clips are under my control. If an agency is getting weird and does stupid moves, I can always remove my clips there and save stock footage world (at least, what I can save).

My two cents, but I would be curious of reading your opinions too !

stockVid

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 12:32 »
+1
You are assuming that no new and original work is produced.

If you produce original content you will always have a market.

alno

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 02:38 »
+1
You are assuming that no new and original work is produced.

If you produce original content you will always have a market.

I agree with you. If it wasn't like this those pictures would be still on every billboard :)
http://www.boredpanda.com/1970-stock-photos-robert-armstrong/

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 06:01 »
VB collection is not very large and not very good. It's fine for the price, good for simple stuff, and if customers want better stuff they will have to buy it. From us.
VB would have to invest insane amounts of money if they want to buy quality collections from contributors to add to their subscription collections, and the subscription prices would have to increase. I'm not afraid at all.

In fact, this scheme might even bring a much needed quality over quantity improvement to the stock market: because of VB and P5 new subscriptions there isn't much easy money in footage.

There will always be demand for quality and new footage.