pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Upload Method?  (Read 16954 times)

« on: July 03, 2016, 12:17 »
Curious what upload method you all use to submit to IS.  I use DeepMeta.  I think the only other method in via their website.  I find their upload process the most time consuming compared to the other agencies.  their keyword 'sub-selection'  is so annoying.  I wonder if its even necessary.  often times none of the sub-selections apply or i can't decide if they apply.  am i the only one that has this problem?

Rose Tinted Glasses

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 12:37 »
Take some time to learn Deepmeta and I think you will find it makes Istock the easy one to upload to.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 14:47 »
+1
I personally prefer to upload directly, but I believe DM will come into its own if you send releases. There's also the QTOOLS this that Yuri brought out, but I haven't looked at it. I really don't have any problems uploading directly providing upload is working. Ha, but sometimes after doing all the keywording etc you get logged out when you try to complete the upload; which is just ridiculous and a real PITA.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 17:50 »
Take some time to learn Deepmeta and I think you will find it makes Istock the easy one to upload to. /quote]
Ive been using Deepmeta for years.  I'm not new to this.  i just really find the keyword selection to be time consuming. all my keywords get uploaded along with my metadata.  but then to go in and have to select a sub-keyword is so annoying. 

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 18:01 »
+1
Keyword: Sunny:
             - sunny (sunlight)
             - Sun (sky)
             - sunlight (light effect)
             - sunny - entertainer

Keyword;  America
               - The Americas (geographic location)
               - USA

Who has time for this when you have 20 keywords and 100 files to upload?

ShadySue

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 18:23 »
+5
             - sunny (sunlight)
             - Sun (sky)
             - sunny - entertainer

Keyword;  America
               - USA

You're right; you don't have time for it (and we don't need the competition).  8)

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 12:34 »
+4
ou're right; you don't have time for it (and we don't need the competition)/quote]
Competition;  did you mean 'competition' or 'competitive sport athlete"  ;) cus istock needs clarification lol

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 16:59 »
             - sunny (sunlight)
             - Sun (sky)
             - sunny - entertainer

Keyword;  America
               - USA

Well, we all have to do it (if you contribute there).  It's a pain in the RUMP for sure. I wonder what might change when they are fully integrated into Getty and Istock dissolves.  Does Getty have controlled vocabulary? Or will they retire this mess? 

ShadySue

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 17:09 »
+1
             - sunny (sunlight)
             - Sun (sky)
             - sunny - entertainer

Keyword;  America
               - USA

Well, we all have to do it (if you contribute there).  It's a pain in the RUMP for sure. I wonder what might change when they are fully integrated into Getty and Istock dissolves.  Does Getty have controlled vocabulary? Or will they retire this mess?
The CV is Getty's and was introduced to iS when Getty bought it.
In theory, it's great and should be a USP; in practice too many people ignore it leading to spammy results like everywhere else, and for whatever reason new requested/needed keywords haven't been added for months.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 17:12 »
             - sunny (sunlight)
             - Sun (sky)
             - sunny - entertainer

Keyword;  America
               - USA

The CV is Getty's and was introduced to iS when Getty bought it.
In theory, it's great and should be a USP; in practice too many people ignore it leading to spammy results like everywhere else, and for whatever reason new requested/needed keywords haven't been added for months.

That's primarily why I call it a mess. When new words must be added, especially for my underwater animals that they don't have, getting them added has never been easy.  Of course I can add them into my keywords but not sure how the search manages them in a search.  I stopped trying to use the add keyword thing years ago because my suggestions never got implemented.

ShadySue

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 17:42 »
+2
When new words must be added, especially for my underwater animals that they don't have, getting them added has never been easy.  Of course I can add them into my keywords but not sure how the search manages them in a search.  I stopped trying to use the add keyword thing years ago because my suggestions never got implemented.

In the Good Old Days, you could add a keyword or keyword phrase 'for your own use' and it would be appear only the language you submitted (it wouldn't be translated, which often didn't matter with locations) and if a phrase rather than a single word it would need to be searched in quotation marks "Two keywords".

For at least 15 months now, there has been a bug which prevents new words from being added even to that system.

How to know:
If uploading directly, a keyword which has never been used, and isn't in the CV, shows up blue. As before, you can click on the blue as a link and you get a pop up saying you can add it 'for your own use', but it doesn't work.
In the example below, I tried to add 'Paradise Finch' "for my own use" and that's what happened. It went black and is no longer a link to the popup, but as you can see, it doesn't have any DA presence and is not searchable. I just called up the popup for Red-headed Weaver so newbies could see what I meant by the pop-up. That isn't searchable either.
However, in the same screenshot, both 'small group of birds' and 'African wildlife' have been added by someone before I did, therefore they are searchable by using quotations. That is indicated by the '!' in a grey triangle.

'Bird' is in the CV, and shows on the right hand column with its meaning.

If uploading via DeepMeta, the indications are:
Word in the CV (bird) has a green background and a tick in the box.
Word previously used by someone 'for your own use' has a blue background and a tick in the box.
Word added after the bug started (I noticed it and reported it in April 2015, but I'm not sure how long it existed before that) has a blue background and no tick or box.

They know about this bug - I reported it to CR last April as I said, and they confirmed it was the case.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 17:51 by ShadySue »

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 17:48 »
Good explanation. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 17:57 by Mantis »

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 01:29 »
In a different context I worked with library type people who believed the internet etc had to have controlled vocabulary to work. Sadly for their profession it soon turned out that the likes of google returned far better search results than those that attempted to "manage" the vocabulary. A classic was a UK government search facility  which took huge resources to maintain....someone did a spoof site which used google got pretty much the same results and took him 10 mins. Its an outdated concept that realistically can never be kept up to date.   http://www.keedup.com/2016/04/pros-cons-controlled-vocabularies/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:34 by Pauws99 »

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 07:26 »
Curious what upload method you all use to submit to IS.  I use DeepMeta.  I think the only other method in via their website.  I find their upload process the most time consuming compared to the other agencies.  their keyword 'sub-selection'  is so annoying.  I wonder if its even necessary.  often times none of the sub-selections apply or i can't decide if they apply.  am i the only one that has this problem?

Hi there, sorry for the late response, but as the CEO of qHero I would definitely suggest for you to check our tool out. For your information we are officially endorsed by iStock and we can be found in the istock contributor community.

By applying artificial intelligence to automise your proces and ensure consistent narrative content, you will save time and at the same time get a better result by using qHero. The disambiguation process is probably the most time-consuming part of iStock uploading, but we have automised that as well. Best of all though, is that you can bulk edit multiple files at once.

qHero is free to use and your files are safely backed up in the cloud. If you want to download your work at a later stage, all the work invested in your portfolio with qHero will be embedded in your metadata - so nothing is lost! All you have to do is sign up at www.qhero.com

I hope you'll sign up, and if you have any questions just reach out to us at [email protected].

Best,

Kasper Ravlo.

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 07:30 »
I personally prefer to upload directly, but I believe DM will come into its own if you send releases. There's also the QTOOLS this that Yuri brought out, but I haven't looked at it. I really don't have any problems uploading directly providing upload is working. Ha, but sometimes after doing all the keywording etc you get logged out when you try to complete the upload; which is just ridiculous and a real PITA.

Thanks for mentioning us, even though I name is qHero  :) You should try qHero out - the only risk is to get better narrative content, in less time while getting a free cloud-based backup of your files.

/Kasper.

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 09:50 »
+1

Thanks for mentioning us, even though I name is qHero  :) You should try qHero out - the only risk is to get better narrative content, in less time while getting a free cloud-based backup of your files.

/Kasper.

Haven't looked at qHero yet, although I was meaning to sometime... but, you are keeping copies of our files?  What's that about?  I'm not sure I'd be happy with that.

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 13:27 »

/Kasper.

Haven't looked at qHero yet, although I was meaning to sometime... but, you are keeping copies of our files?  What's that about?  I'm not sure I'd be happy with that.

Hi there,

Well, the reason isn't for us to keep the files, but for you to take advantage of our free cloud-based backup of all your files. My experience is that this is of very high value for photographers, and having seen photographers loose files we wanted to prevent that. Also, when you keyword your files in qHero you can download them again with the work you've invested imbedded in the IPTC data, which is enabled by storing the files in our cloud.

You should try it out, and read our privacy policy for any security concerns - I'm sure you will find that our terms reaches your standards and puts any concerns you might have to rest.

Hope to see you on our userlist soon!

/Kasper.