pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: stock travel advice  (Read 4672 times)

« on: July 24, 2016, 12:52 »
hello wanted to ask you how do you get along with your family when traveling in vacation and tring to get many photos for stock? because i really hit a wall here and my wife is quite anoyed by me taking photos of important objectives in morning light then sunset light and also various angles. so...how do you get along?

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 13:04 »
+10
I don't worry about taking photos for stock, unless I set aside a dedicated time to do so.  Like when scuba diving last year, I set aside a few hours to shoot with a model.  Otherwise, I snap what I can if I see something interesting.  Vacation is for vacationing.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 13:30 »
+1
When photo income is paying for a vacation/trip, then my wife knows there is "business" to be done. But it certainly works better if I include destinations she might enjoy and stops of her interest. Otherwise, she also knows to bring some self entertainment, books, and magazines, to enjoy while I go off to enjoy a shoot. I try to balance fun and work. Are your family willing models? Can the photo budget sustain interesting places where the family is a participant? You may need to review with your accountant what can be claimed in your country as a business expense and what must be a personal expense.

Rose Tinted Glasses

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 13:48 »
+4
If you are not a full on travel photographer, then follow Sean's advice 100% while on vacation with the wife. Vacation is for vacation.

On the other hand I shoot a lot of travel and have done so for many years. Ex-wife hated me traveling alone (working+having fun) and she hated traveling with me (working+being selfish) --- Ex-wife--- Did not understand my job at all.

Current wife--- loves working it and understands that while on the road it is 18 hour days for months at a time. We vacation at home when we don't have to be working apart from me editing and uploading. And we are always planning where we shall go next and looking forward to the long hours and brutal inconvenience that travel for work is.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 14:40 »
+2
Buy your wife a camera.

I travel a ton and I'm lucky my girlfriend is also into photography. I could see someone getting pretty annoyed is they were always having to wait around for a photographer while on vacation.

alno

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 15:39 »
+2
It's either you involve your whole family into your stock business or vacation is for vacation only. Try to make some kind of a game for them, tell something interesting about stock sites and successful stories, show your own sales and especially sales for some big projects. I guess almost every stock photographer has one or more pictures used by Sony, Vodafone or local pub :) We are lucky enough and shoot together with my husband, I often act as a model for him:
http://www.shutterstock.com/ru/video/clip-17765953
http://www.shutterstock.com/ru/video/clip-17655796
http://www.shutterstock.com/ru/video/clip-17442166
It's funny how some day you begin to choose new clothes for yourself without any inscriptions... :)

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 16:36 »
+1
I don't worry about taking photos for stock, unless I set aside a dedicated time to do so.  Like when scuba diving last year, I set aside a few hours to shoot with a model.  Otherwise, I snap what I can if I see something interesting.  Vacation is for vacationing.

there you go, the guru has said it.
i too feel it is bad idea to go on vacation with family or alone with the thought of shooting stock
photos.
why??? because with the trend these days, the returns are not showing up at all.
also, travel photos are already as saturated as the trillions of yuri, sjlocke, ...clones and copycats.

not unless you went to some place no one else has ventured..
like the antartica..
then again, if i am not mistaken , there is a very famous istock man who already captured that
niche a long time ago.

just go and enjoy yourself. or else , you will have wasted alot of money
for nothing..
yes, i dare say, nothing...

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 20:17 »
+1
I travel for fun., but I'm covering good part of my travel expenses by selling some of my photos in microstock websites.

Plan before the trip, try to pick your subjects carefully, limit number of shots, and take care of your travel partners.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 22:54 »
I agree with ForrestBrown.  I got my girlfriend a camera and into stock as well.  But you have to be careful - now I am often the one waiting around for her to finish.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 01:11 »
Well, it all depends what your wife is getting out of it. In general, you got some couple of great advises, vacation is for vacation, and if photos are paying for vacation then she should know.

Now that being said, first one is better advice if you ask me. I have a deal with my wife that I will shoot as much as I can if that does not get too much in our family time. eg. I am planning on having some early morning and/or late nights. I am planning on taking one day for shooting (she can have the next day for her to be with her friends). Plus, when I am with kids then we can go places and make it interesting for them and take photos again. So its a win-win situation - unless wife comes back too early and says I am out of money.

So, I would suggest talking before the vacation with your wife and set the boundaries right away.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 01:46 »
If I'm on holiday I would be taking photos any way as its a hobby for me rather than a full time job but do keep on the look out for more stock oriented pictures. I don't expect s but a few sales are a bonus. I tend to reserve full on shooting for local days out...feel when you know somewhere you can get something more interesting/stocky than exotic locations that are all ready well covered.

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 02:33 »
great advices everyone..really thank you i will talk to her and see where it goes

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 05:51 »
It's funny how some day you begin to choose new clothes for yourself without any inscriptions... :)

And tax-deductible!  ;)
Nice videos.

alno

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 10:13 »

And tax-deductible!  ;)
Nice videos.

Thank you :)

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 10:44 »
the wife idea is a good one, but it depends on how your wife sees it.

consider a mother of a few children , i would not want to go on vacation with my kids
only to have to shoot stock photos for my husband.
esp if there is no certainty of earnings from these .

if you're already a successful stock photographer, it might be different.
then again, i too , still would not expect my wife to go on vacation to shoot for me.
since i am already having travel as a deductible expense,
i would go on a separate "vacation" to shoot

and leave my wife and children to enjoy the vacation when i am there to do just that..
enjoy quality time with my family.

i say this, because , to a man, it might be "sensible" to give your mate a camera and say
go take some stock photos...
but to a mother and a woman, "sensibility" has nothing to do with your "mission"..
esp when it is to take photos that might sell squat.

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 11:03 »
+1
I am the wife here (although I am only one and we are certainly all different). It's taken me awhile to catch on but now that stock money is paying for our travel to collect more stock, I've jumped on board. I've also started playing with a second camera (low stakes) and have gotten good enough to contribute a few shots from each day of our adventures. On the off chance that I don't feel like shooting, I'm happy to pose/model and I always bring along something else to do (other work for me, a book to read, a game to play on my phone or iPad).

Plus, the places we go are so much prettier in the early and late light in addition to being less busy.

As other posters have said, we take our 'vacation' back at home or do something leisurely in the middle of the day when we are traveling.

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 11:10 »
+4
The wife is the least of the problems with travelling. Nowadays you never know what hits you, you might run into bullets, axes, machetes, trucks, explosives, suicide bombers

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 13:30 »
+2
Never had a problem combining stock with vacations - even if I didn't have a camera along, my wife & I plan each day together - some days we'll be together throughout, others we'll branch out to different museums, markets, shopping, etc.  especially at markets & museums, we usually just fix a meeting time and move thru  at our own pace, then compare notes later over espresso or a beer