pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: 7th day without a download  (Read 9417 times)

drd

« on: August 18, 2016, 04:12 »
It has never happened in the past 4 years to have a streak of more than 2 days without a download, now is the 7th day. I know the new design layout was introduced a week ago. Is this the reason?

Is anyone else encountering the same?

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 04:47 »
+4
This month is knocking all my previous dire months into a cocked hat, and I have read of others reporting the same. Site changes and best match tweaks no doubt are part of the reasons. Some people rabbit about summer slump, but this is my tenth August, so I have plenty experience of previous summers. Recorded views reported via DM are also well down for me, so I'm also expecting subs to be down.  (Stills only)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 05:11 by ShadySue »

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 05:06 »
+4
So thankful I went non-exclusive with my video!!!

alno

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 05:09 »
The same thing here, last DL was on the 9th. Although the  whole video portfolio was uploaded  on istock only couple months ago there were many consistent downloads before.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 07:24 »
+3
Ok I'm not alone then.  Maybe another change that went wrong?  My sales for last month are populating now and they are as of today, 1/2 of June. All I'm missing is that last purple bar, but I will be at $200 for the month and far short of what I was making in previous months.

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 07:54 »
+4
Credit sales are very slow, but more worryingly (assuming that you accept that subs are the future at iStock) sub sales for July were the worst for me since Jan 2015. I'd really expected to keep seeing at least some growth in subs as credit sales fell off.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 00:40 »
+1
I've been having a particularly bad month with credit sales too, probably the worst in several years. I might be earning 30% of any other average week from earlier this year.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 02:51 »
+2
There must be more pp sales to come in for July? Dear god please tell me there are more!

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 11:32 »
+7
iStock is dying, hooked up on a heart-lung machine. I give it 2-3 years before Getty pulls the plug.

The upcoming changes will be the final nail in the coffin and drive the last buyers away, then sales will dry up even more. It's already 50% less of what it used to be.

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 14:42 »
+4
Unfortunately for me I think you are right.
It has nothing to fo anymore with best mach changes,time of the year, site changes....I think it is that there are really a few buyers left of what it once was. Not that I wonder...we all know that this was to be expected with all of their brilliant moves....
iStock is dying, hooked up on a heart-lung machine. I give it 2-3 years before Getty pulls the plug.

The upcoming changes will be the final nail in the coffin and drive the last buyers away, then sales will dry up even more. It's already 50% less of what it used to be.

alno

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 17:25 »
+4

They are old, greedy and lazy so that's the only right way for them :) There are more capable agencies of this market.

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 05:14 »
+2

50% down? You're lucky. I'm something like 90% down from the peak.

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 07:26 »
+1
I don't remember a time when there were so many problems with the search results, at least for my files but judging from the rants on the Getty forums I'm not alone.
More of my files with broken or missing thumbnails, obviously relevant keywords being removed, increasing number of files unsearchable by any of their keywords.
Could this be down to under investment in server capacity/infrastructure/bandwith? Instead of investing more to cope with the growing library size Getty instead cuts costs through the unification process meaning the only way the system can cope is to ration the search results.

ShadySue

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 08:07 »
+1
I don't remember a time when there were so many problems with the search results, at least for my files but judging from the rants on the Getty forums I'm not alone.
More of my files with broken or missing thumbnails, obviously relevant keywords being removed, increasing number of files unsearchable by any of their keywords.
Could this be down to under investment in server capacity/infrastructure/bandwith? Instead of investing more to cope with the growing library size Getty instead cuts costs through the unification process meaning the only way the system can cope is to ration the search results.
Any/all of the above, plus they've heard of buyers, but want no truck with them (recontexting Douglas Adams)

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 10:43 »
+2
Same here 10 days, no downloads, something is very wrong or maybe  they decide to report credit sales one month later too.

You know reporting image sales need lots of computing power. Do you know every time istock calculates a sale percentage for us, 10 gigawatts of power  wasted and a star fall in the sky...

drd

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 11:34 »
+3
something bad is cooking...

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 00:47 »
So thankful I went non-exclusive with my video!!!
10 days without single image download here!
So glad I switched to video this year!

alno

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 04:26 »
+1
OK, I'm just curious. Are there any istock buyers among contributors on this forum? Let's make some test purchase of another local contributor picture. In case it won't be reported... It really looks like the whole buyer's side is down for 10 days or so (quite unlikely) or they are applying some revostock-like "business" idea.

ShadySue

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 04:31 »
My sales are very poor this month, but I had one yesterday and one on Friday.

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 07:58 »
+1
I reckon credit sales are about what I've come to regard as "normal" these days. Obviously way down from the peak, but regular.

The thing is that's there is no saying what will and won't sell. There never was. As I said in an earlier post. What worries me more is my lack of sub sales in July.

Whatever the case there is very little any of us can do about sales one way or the other. 

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 08:28 »
I've had sales reported for every day this past week.

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 09:31 »
I had 7 credit sales reported from Aug 13 through Aug 21, but none during the first 12 days of August..
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:53 by Lana »

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 07:31 »
Maybe because of Olympics? I've had similar thing on SS and since I'm newbie I can't tell what it is but during Olympics I had just 1-2 sub sales and no regular sales, now when Olympics are over everything seems to be back in normal (1 or 2 subs a day). And on iS I always have less ten credit sales so can't say what's going on (I'm now at 7 this month).

ShadySue

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 07:37 »
+1
I looked back at previous Olympics. Aug 2012 was my worst month that year, but Aug 2008 was middling.
People still have to work during the Olympics, so I don't really buy that as an excuse.

I think the continuing drop in credit sales is because iS is in the process of becoming an all-subs site. Looking at the subs packages, and the fact that subs roll over, why would most buyers choose to buy credits over subs?

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 08:00 »
+3
No, despite what the BBC would have us believe  ::) , normal life and work does not stop for the Olympics. Probably makes some difference but not that much.

Whether you get credit sales or not is ultimately going to be (possibly) down to how long you have been with iStock, as earlier stuff still seems to sell better. Also possibly whether you have stuff that is niche enough to appeal to buyers who have a subs account elsewhere for the bulk of their work.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 11:02 by Difydave »