pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Chasing infringers  (Read 4508 times)

niktol

« on: August 20, 2016, 14:37 »
+1
Asking people with a similar experience, is it worth the effort at Shutterstock? I was pointed at a contributor who took one of my illustrations, made very slight changes (but not even the title, which is copied word for word) and now passes as his own. What can I expect if I file a complaint? It's not a question of pride (though it does infuriate me), but more of a question of effort/risks(if you experienced any problems that I can't think of) vs benefits. The illustration in question sells fairly well (above average, but not a blockbuster).

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 15:52 »
Asking people with a similar experience, is it worth the effort at Shutterstock? I was pointed at a contributor who took one of my illustrations, made very slight changes (but not even the title, which is copied word for word) and now passes as his own. What can I expect if I file a complaint? It's not a question of pride (though it does infuriate me), but more of a question of effort/risks(if you experienced any problems that I can't think of) vs benefits. The illustration in question sells fairly well (above average, but not a blockbuster).

I had an experience with this recently. Check if there are more stolen work in his portfolio and make a list if it's a small amount. Chances are, there are more hidden somewhere in his portfolio. Sometimes, designers design similar things, so it's not really theft, so be sure. Other times, a real infringer will steal your exact work and change the color.

If you're 100% sure it's your work and he/she stole it, point out the original and the infringing artwork. If yours is original, it will have a lower image ID, and that is the ultimate proof that it's your work. When you report someone, there's a good chance they will get banned and their entire portfolio will be removed if SS confirm the infringement.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 16:09 »
+3
Definitely report it and check the other sites too. They usually post the same work to all sites. I also can't rember ever finding a one off infringement in a big portfolio. There's bound to be work stolen from other artists too.

niktol

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 19:30 »
Thank you, all good points

substancep

• Medical, science, nature, and macro photography

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 10:12 »
Do you get any compensation for lost sales, or is it just a case of banning the infringer?

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 11:21 »
+4
Do you get any compensation for lost sales, or is it just a case of banning the infringer?
you never get any cash, the agency just pockets the cash they earn from your stolen work as far as I know.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 14:14 »
you never get any cash, the agency just pockets the cash they earn from your stolen work as far as I know.
So why they will be interested to close ingringer's account quickly?

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 14:43 »
+2

Divide up this answer proportionately:
1. It's the right thing to do (only partly, as they don't compensate you for their error in approving stolen images)
2. They don't want sued.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 15:38 »
+2

Divide up this answer proportionately:
1. It's the right thing to do (only partly, as they don't compensate you for their error in approving stolen images)
2. They don't want sued.
Plus they get to keep all the revenue that would have gone to the infringer