MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: EL of 13$  (Read 6035 times)

« on: August 23, 2016, 11:05 »
+1
I rarely get EL (2-4/year), so I'm always happy when it happens.....but it's getting really discouraging.

For my EL today i got 13$, for the one a few months ago only 17$.
I'm in the top tier......

:-\

angelawaye

• Eat, Sleep, Keyword. Repeat

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 11:30 »
+1
That is why I opted out ...

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 13:10 »
+1
That's why I opted out as well.  I don't need any more discouragement, I'm at my limit.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 13:10 »
+2
I opted out when they changed the payment structure. Anything $28 and up I say yes to. Anything less I say no (customers contact support and they can process the license without opting you in).

Clearly I run the risk that some customers won't want the hassle, but for an EL (versus a regular sale) I'm willing to bet that many aren't in such a rush that the wait is an issue. The highest I've received for an EL this way is $40

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 19:43 »
I opted out when they changed the payment structure. Anything $28 and up I say yes to. Anything less I say no (customers contact support and they can process the license without opting you in).

Clearly I run the risk that some customers won't want the hassle, but for an EL (versus a regular sale) I'm willing to bet that many aren't in such a rush that the wait is an issue. The highest I've received for an EL this way is $40

X2

I'm actually glad with the opt out system as it gives you some control over how your image gets used (or not) and lets you decide if you are getting 'enough' compensation for it.

My last one was $37.50

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 03:14 »
I rarely get EL (2-4/year), so I'm always happy when it happens.....but it's getting really discouraging.

For my EL today i got 13$, for the one a few months ago only 17$.
I'm in the top tier......

:-\

I got one last week (the second this year): 17$. Pretty disappointing, considering that the one before this was 22$ and the one before that one 28$.
But my entire August month was a disaster.  :'(

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 04:16 »
+5
Most of the other sites I use either never sell an EL or its an extremely rare event.  So I have stayed opted in with SS because at least they do sell them.  Most of the ones I have had this year have been in the mid $20 region.  If the average EL dipped below $20, I would consider opting out.

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 04:35 »
Most of the other sites I use either never sell an EL or its an extremely rare event.  So I have stayed opted in with SS because at least they do sell them.  Most of the ones I have had this year have been in the mid $20 region.  If the average EL dipped below $20, I would consider opting out.

I totally agree with you, only that some of us are making mostly vectors. So the situation is different from a portfolio to another. A vector can be easily remade, the idea can be quickly stolen...and it is also hard to track your vector image on the internet. A photo or a video is almost impossible to redone exactly the same with the original.
That is why I do not opt out.  >:(  This doesn't mean I am happy with this.

Chichikov

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 06:29 »
+1
I stayed opt in because I prefer to sale 10 EL for $15 each than 0 EL for $500 each

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 06:35 »
+4
I stayed opt in because I prefer to sale 10 EL for $15 each than 0 EL for $500 each

I prefer to sell 10 EL's for $28 rather than 10 EL's for $17, so I opted out.

Chichikov

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 07:16 »

Sure that opting out you will not have any $28 sales

But you if you like to fight windmills I am happy for you
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 07:33 by Chichikov »

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 07:42 »
+2

Untrue.  SS will contact you with the EL request and you can pick and choose which ones you take and which ones you leave on the table. For the most part opting out removes the automation of an EL.

Chichikov

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 08:16 »
+2

Untrue.  SS will contact you with the EL request and you can pick and choose which ones you take and which ones you leave on the table. For the most part opting out removes the automation of an EL.

Thank you for the info.

But I wonder if the customers will spend their precious time to contact SS (that will contact you then), when they almost certainly have the possibility to find some good alternative images (let's say 90% of the times) on Shutterstock (or another site), and buy it directly with one click (at minor price - even if the difference of price should not be a problem)?

I am interested to know how many of those having opted out have been contacted in this way and how many ELs have they sold, and at what price?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:26 by Chichikov »

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 09:13 »

Thank you for the info.

But I wonder if the customers will spend their precious time to contact SS (that will contact you then), when they almost certainly have the possibility to find some good alternative images (let's say 90% of the times) on Shutterstock (or another site), and buy it directly with one click (at minor price - even if the difference of price should not be a problem)?

I am interested to know how many of those having opted out have been contacted in this way and how many ELs have they sold, and at what price?

See Jo Ann Snover's post above.

So you can still sell EL's (albeit it's another hurdle for customers), but without undercutting yourself. I simply can't be happy with $15 or $17 if I could've gotten $28. It just doesn't feel right. 

angelawaye

• Eat, Sleep, Keyword. Repeat

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 09:24 »
I have had SS contact me many times asking for me to license the image as an EL...

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 11:53 »
+2
A customer looking for an el image is generally looking for a specific image for an intended purpose, so yes they will spend the time trying to get what they want.
I know many contributers that are opted out but have been contacted by ss to licence a specific image, myself included.

Beleive me, its LESS time consuming for them to contact ss about a specific image vesus having to schlog through the database for an equivalent or similar that they can just 'click' on.
A buyer that is happy with an image WANTS that image.

Chichikov

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 11:59 »
+2
Thank you all (above) for your answers!
You almost convinced me :)

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 13:22 »
+2
i am with chichikof on this, i am sure 90% cant be bothered to waste time dealing with cs hoping to get a licence.

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 13:46 »
Fot most customers time is money.... No time to wait for an answer from CS and hope maybe it will be accepted.

I think you loose much mote money by loosing potential gor lower amounts then that you win from the few that will contact you.

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 13:49 »
+1
So you loose 5 times 13 dollars = 65 dollars and win 15 dollars... Difference from 28-13.

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 15:25 »
+5
We have two choices - do something about it or just put up with whatever SS feels like offering.

Either one is fine, but complaining and doing nothing is a waste of energy.

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 15:54 »
So, Shutterstock now knows that offering ELs at a 50% discount is by and large acceptable to contributors and will now be testing for an even lower bottom line.  Where is your bottom line or will anything do?

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 16:04 »
+4
The thing is that everyone's red line is different. The things I am not prepared to accept are acceptable to others, and vice versa.
It's because we don't/can't agree about these things that we are unlikely to be able to get change.

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 16:33 »
+2
I think it's unacceptable for everybody, that SS lowered comission. it's just, that some are ready to eat that shiat up and some are not.

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 16:40 »
+4
So, Shutterstock now knows that offering ELs at a 50% discount is by and large acceptable to contributors and will now be testing for an even lower bottom line.  Where is your bottom line or will anything do?
Is anyone getting 50% less for every EL?  Most of mine are less than 10% down.  That's annoying but as EL's are so infrequent, I'm not overly concerned.  They shouldn't be looking at increasing the discount, unless they can increase volume of sales.  They lose money with lower prices, unless they sell more.

Sponsors

Mega Bundle of 5,900+ Professional Lightroom Presets

Microstock Poll Results

Sponsors