pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Envato in top 4... worth the hassle yet?  (Read 9341 times)

« on: August 31, 2016, 16:58 »
I have been struggling through the maze of Envato's sites, trying to figure out how to upload and submit something.   I finally got a vector submitted to Graphic River (I think) and it was rejected for "quality" with no clue as to whether they meant quality of the image, or quality of the file.  And, of course, I can't figure out how to ask for clarification.

Can anyone tell me WHAT is selling there that is making such a good earnings rating?

Is it worth the struggle to navigate their site*, and make all the little jpgs, to submit to Graphic River? 

Or are the earnings coming from templates, or videos, or audio, or something else I don't have to submit?

Envato is making me cry, literally.

*I gave up hope of finding my way back to a particular page, and just started bookmarking important pages as I found them.  Envato has its own folder in my bookmark folder.

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 17:09 »
+9
i think people are messing with the poll for a long time now. the numbers dont add up. i think the poll has become fairly useless bar the glaringly obvious fact that ss is still the biggest earner for most

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 17:22 »
+1
You're probably right.  I gave Alamy another chance when they moved up the chart, but have not sold anything there.

Y'know what really hurt my feelings?  Envato's rejection letter came with a link to "helpful articles".  These articles were all "how to draw" tutorials.

I've got a fuggin degree in drawing.  I know how to do THAT.  It's the guessing what Envato wants I'm having trouble with.

I'm going to give up on Envato then.  It's so frustrating to think there could be sales over there, if only I could figure out how to get to them.  But, like you say, it's probably just a dirty trick. 

angelawaye

• Eat, Sleep, Keyword. Repeat

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 21:37 »
+8
I liked Envato but had to pull my portfolio after they make US citizens pay "their" taxes. They count their share in your MISC 1099. I guess if you aren't in the US, it may be worth a try ...

marthamarks

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 21:48 »
+5
I liked Envato but had to pull my portfolio after they make US citizens pay "their" taxes. They count their share in your MISC 1099. I guess if you aren't in the US, it may be worth a try ...

I left for the same reason. Didn't lose much. Not enough sales to bother with their cr*p.

Rinderart

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 23:50 »
+3
i think people are messing with the poll for a long time now. the numbers dont add up. i think the poll has become fairly useless bar the glaringly obvious fact that ss is still the biggest earner for most

WE AGREE. YEA!! Easy to manipulate the poll..

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 01:12 »
+4
First Alamy was lost in the top 4....now envato... Who starts the next trip to wonderland? Canstock or Vivozoom?

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 01:20 »
+2
First Alamy was lost in the top 4....now envato... Who starts the next trip to wonderland? Canstock or Vivozoom?
When its Yay I know the poll is dead......Photo Dune is not that bad for me considering they told me my work is not good enough and banning me from uploading! I might get round to resubmitting to their test (I'm not proud). Trouble is I have found zero consistency in their review process which makes it difficult to know what to upload...they don't like the stuff that sells everwhere else ;-0

SpaceStockFootage

• Space, Sci-Fi and Astronomy Related Stock Footage

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 05:10 »
It's pretty difficult to separate out sales figures from different marketplaces... as you have one account with which you can sell on PhotoDune, VideoHive, Themeforest etc. So some income might be getting reported for stuff that isn't specifically photos or videos.

I know I report everything, including sound effects and 3D models, as well as my VideoHive content... but they're only a very small percentage of my revenue, 90% of my sales are on VideoHive. Although that does include After Effects templates. I guess that muddies the waters slightly.

However, if you have somebody who also sells Wordpress themes then that could skew the figures a bit, as Themeforest is the biggest selling marketplace at Envato, and although they are 'stock' templates, I wouldn't say they quite fall under the banner of 'microstock'.

So there you go. I see that Envato is currently down at 15th at the moment. I've just added my earnings though, so we'll see what difference that makes.

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 06:27 »
+3
I wouldn't trust the poll for one second since all it takes for something to drop from #4 to #15 seems to be one or two people voting.

SpaceStockFootage

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 23:32 »
+1
I wouldn't trust the poll for one second since all it takes for something to drop from #4 to #15 seems to be one or two people voting.

Depends on what you're trusting it to do. I trust that it's an accurate portrayal of the data that's entered into it, and I have no reason to believe that the data that is entered into it isn't accurate.

Although, trusting it to give an accurate portrayal of the sales value of certain marketplaces, has and always will be unwise, as you never know how many people are entering data for those sites. A few people doing well on one site might make it appear artificially higher, and likewise a few people doing badly on others might make it seem artificially low... when it's actually pretty good.

To give a bit more weight to the list, it would be interesting to show "from X votes" or something like that.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 00:32 »
+4
It needs to be split by content type

gyllens

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 01:04 »
Its all about SS isn't it while an enormous amount of lower royalty members will vote for FT making them a second. The polls are probably showing the result from lots of smaller portfolios new members and part-timers.

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 01:05 »
+1
You can see the sample size by hovering this would make it even less statistically valid its only a rough guide to be treated with caution

SpaceStockFootage

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 01:41 »
You can see the sample size by hovering this would make it even less statistically valid its only a rough guide to be treated with caution

You learn something new every day! Well there's 51 samples for Envato which is a lot less than most, but still a reasonable sample size. Looks like most are about 100 with around 150 for the big boys.

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 18:24 »
+1

I think that the poll must be separated in potos and vector, It's not the same list for all :)