MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: No success at IS while greate success at SS  (Read 7010 times)

« on: December 12, 2007, 06:10 »
Just wondering what kind of photos do best at IS? The thing is that I obtain a fairly good result at SS with the same kind of photos (isolated objects mostly) while at IS I only had one download in about a month (20 pictures)

Jo

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 07:14 »
I get about 20 dls a month with under 60 images.  The dls that I get are almost exclusively travel, landsapes, postcard type shots.  Only one dl with a person (form the back looking up a mountain path). 

fred

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 07:17 »
That explains a lot. None of my pictures have landscapes or the like. Most of them are isolated objects. I might go out more often and shoot some bigger things :)

Jo

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 07:26 »
My experience on IS has been similar..  I sell more landscape shots on IS than any other site. In fact, the bulk of what I sell on IS is landscape/travel.  However, my sales at both are comparable.  IS does now outsell SS for me.

IS and SS  blow all the other 10 I'm on away.  Both each on their own payout more than all the other 10 put together

I continue to upload to all though as the occassional payout feels nice in my wallet. 8)=tom

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 07:30 »
i think basically everything sells 'well' at istock, the thing that determines your sales however if which images you get good search results rankings for.  If your image gets off to a bad start on istock, then it will be lost on page 50 of isolated objects forever.

All images on SS are at least given a 'beginners chance' as lots of people sort by newest image... so everything has an 'equal' chance of being seen when it is new.

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 09:46 »
I agree with leaf. I have many worthy stock images that just haven't done anything no matter how good my keywords are. If they don't pop at the beginning, then they just collect dust and get a few downloads.

Also did I read right that you have 20 images? You really won't see any downloads at IS until you get over 100 images. Things come more slowly at IS, but they last longer. I have an older portfolio at SS and I make less money there (although I get more downloads).

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 11:24 »
Also did I read right that you have 20 images? You really won't see any downloads at IS until you get over 100 images. Things come more slowly at IS, but they last longer. I have an older portfolio at SS and I make less money there (although I get more downloads).

Not entirely true.  I only have 23 images on IS and today have over 600 sales since March.  Although I do recognize my great luck in this :).   I had one photo that would sell several times a day and they switched, now a couple times a week.  Lately my "farmer" series sell well overall.  If nothing changes with the search, I should have 2 more flames mid-Jan.

I just don't have the backbone to submit to IS.  I have 10 in the rejected folder that need to be fixed and two in cue that will likely be moved over.   I won't send them any more "on white" until I get a couple additional lights next year and maybe I can combat my feathery edges!

I can just imagine what the great photographers must make on IS.  (or if they paid out  30-50%)!

http://www.istockphoto.com/user_view.php?id=702010

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 14:06 »
23 images with 600 sales at IS? That's pretty impressive.

IS was slow for me at the start. The first couple of months I only had 5-10 images. For whatever reason, suddently the third month took off and sales are now picking up very nicely. I see the momentum and potential with IS. SS is doing very well for me also.

The other 10 sites are a distant third making up less than 20% of my earnings combined.

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 14:53 »
Well, I can say this much... they have me too scared to send the rest!  At least I know that if I send them the best that they will produce results!   It's just so dissapointing when they don't think they are as wonderful as you do :o SS has taken a dive for me in November after a few great months.  I managed to upload a couple this week and have only had a couple dls.  Hopefully I'll get some stock shooting over the break.

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 16:42 »
23 images with 600 sales at IS? That's pretty impressive.

Ah.............  that sure impresses the heck out of me!!!  Nice work, Pixart!!  8)=tom

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 19:49 »
Thanks Tom!  This is wierd, I reached 600 sales today at DT too (same day).  Now that they are at an equal place I betcha my 23 photos at IS outsell my 220 photos at DT from here on....  Ready set... GO!

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 09:17 »
This happens to many people. They have one photograph that carries their portfolio. The school photograph has over 350 downloads which is over half you downloads! That is lucky indeed. I had a similar photo that was getting a couple of downloads a day and got to about 150 downloads and then IS changed the search engine and I've had about 3 in a year...

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 09:39 »
Wouldn't life be sweet to have a couple hundred photos on IS that got such attention!  That school shot hasn't really sold in a couple months, the farm photos are doing really well all of a sudden.  And IS actually approved one yesterday...   (which means the other in que won't be as they only take half of what I send. :'(  )

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 15:34 »
Yeah, the money's good at IS, but you have to take your lumps (in the form of image rejections) in order to get it. One of my IS monthly goals is to build my portfolio by at least 60 images ... it can get disheartening at times.

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 08:06 »
Yeah, the money's good at IS, but you have to take your lumps (in the form of image rejections) in order to get it. One of my IS monthly goals is to build my portfolio by at least 60 images ... it can get disheartening at times.

Some days are good, some are really bad...   I got beat near death on my last batch.... just about 50% rejected...  but that's IS.  Some batches they'll only reject 2 outta 20...     In the long run, they still make me the most money..  but I sure agree with Sharply_done,  yesterday I was feeling pretty low... 
the bulk of the rejections... artifacting...    oh well,  like I've said before many times,   "If one doesn't want them another will and they'll sell them."   Guess that's why I'm with 10 agencies... LOL   8)=tom