MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Do good camera make a good photographer or the opposite is right ???  (Read 9685 times)

« on: February 03, 2008, 07:01 »
hii all

just thinking if u have a normal equipment not super one can u make a good job out of it or its absurd...

Karim Farah

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 11:15 »
Karim,

In my opinion, you need to know your camera well and then you can make good images with it, provided of course it has a minimum glass quality.  My first digital camera, meant just for web usage and family snapshots (my "serious" photography was still in film), was a totally automatic P&S (Fuji Finepix 2650).  It was a very sharp camera (I even had uprezzed versions of photos taken with it approved in IS and others), but I had to do some tricks to have the right exposure sometimes.

Of course, the better your camera, the easier it is to produce better images.  But most of all you need how to take the best from your camera.

Regards,
Adelaide

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:20 »
Talking about microstock, I would think that the quality standards are moving up continuously, making it difficult to meat them with cheap cameras or P&S.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 12:49 »
+1
Of course a good camera doesn't make a good photographer. However, it definitely makes a SPOILED photographer (speaking from my own experience :-)

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 13:03 »
+2
You can put a gorilla in a business suit, but you not have a CEO.

Why is it that every monkey who buys a camera thinks they are a photographer? ::)

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 13:25 »
You're posing two different thoughts/questions here.

I think it should be obvious that a good camera doesn't automatically make a good photographer. But a bad camera can make a good photographer produce images with poor/unacceptable technical quality.

Can you do a good job with normal equipment? What's "normal" and "good job" to you? Even the most basic DSLR should produce moderately acceptable images. If a Point & Shoot is normal for you, then no I don't think it's good enough. You might get by with a P&S but it will be a long frustrating experience.

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 14:47 »
You can put a gorilla in a business suit, but you not have a CEO.

Yes, yes you do. Just look at the all the overpaid CEOs who give jobs to China and wonder why no one can afford to buy what their selling.   :P

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 03:51 »
hii all

just thinking if u have a normal equipment not super one can u make a good job out of it or its absurd...

Karim Farah

You seem to be asking 2 questions here:

1)  In your title Does a good camera make a good photographer

To me the answer is no. You can have the best camera in the world but if you don't have a 'visual eye' you'll still produce lousy photographs.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't seem to realise this and the manufacturers play on this ignorance in their ads. "Buy our XXX model and you'll be a real pro" ... or something like that. Hogwash.

2) If u have a normal equipment not super one can u make a good job out of it

Yes. I've seen an exercise where several top professional photographers were given bog-standard point and shoots to work with. Most of the results were stunning.

Again, just consider the equipment that the early photographers had to work with ... heavy plate cameras, manual focusing and exposure setting, weird lighting systems (if any) ... yet they produced amazing images.

The most sophisticated pieces of photographing equipment you have are your eye and brain.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 05:09 »

[/quote]
The most sophisticated pieces of photographing equipment you have are your eye and brain.
[/quote]

thanx Bateleur ur answer really pleased me "the eye & the brain " are my equipment b4 anything....

Karim Farah

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 08:59 »
"Why is it that every monkey who buys a camera thinks they are a photographer? "

Monkey? Please explain.
It's always been my contention anyone shooting a camera is a photographer. I mean what else would you call them?
When I drive my car I'm a driver.
When I swing a golf club I'm a golfer.

When I criticize orher people...I'm an *

Be well,
The MIZ

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 13:00 »
I would say that it's more than anything the photographer.  He/she will know their equipment,it's limits and how to get the most out of what it offers (saying it's a cheaper one). 

Switching from the Nikon D70 to the D200 did not in any way make me a better photographer.  It just gave me more MP to work with.  But I will forever yearn for the sharpness I once had when shooting weddings with my Bronica MF.

Connie