pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: More evidence that IS favors Exclusives  (Read 18891 times)

Yuri_Arcurs

• One Crazy PhotoManic MadPerson
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2008, 04:33 »

Yuri_Arcurs

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2008, 04:42 »
Just did that Business Seminar search, Yuri 8 Lise 4. ???

That's what I get too.
I buy photos at istock and I normally see more of Yuri's pics better placed in searches compared to lise's. If you think about it, exclusives are good for the agency in general but if istock were to promote one non exclusive member it would be Yuri, as they get 20% more money from his sales and he sells a few thousand more photos than Lise every month.

I can assure you that I do NOT get any special treatment or any of the sort from the IS management. Absolutely none. I am bound by the same principles that favour exclusives and not non-exclusives.
I have two freelancers working part-time whos only job is to optimise keywording for IS, this helps a bit but costs a bit too.

Showing off cases where I have better search placement then Lise only makes me happy, and de-confirms my concerns about bad placement.

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2008, 04:54 »
As has been pointed out that is a search by DOWNLOADS not BEST MATCH, claiming that is some sort of bias in favour of exclusives is incomprehensible, especially when it has been shown that you do better in the best match search than the person you imply is being favoured.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:58 by thesentinel »

Yuri_Arcurs

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2008, 05:19 »

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2008, 04:17 »
I wont comment on the best match / downloads but I think you win the who can post the longest url competition. Its huge :):)

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2008, 08:33 »
What I've learnt from this post is that I need to take some photos of cheasy looking business people if I ever want to make any money from microstock.

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2008, 09:10 »
Rule #7 in succeeding at Microstock photography:

"In order to truly succeed, one must take pictures of cheesy looking, business people shaking hands with a laptop" or something like that... I guess I'll never be successful!

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2008, 15:47 »
I have the impression that people images in general, not just business ones, sell A LOT.  They have to look good and smile.

Regards,
Adelaide

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2008, 15:52 »
Rule #7 in succeeding at Microstock photography:

"In order to truly succeed, one must take pictures of cheesy looking, business people shaking hands with a laptop" or something like that... I guess I'll never be successful!

depends on what you consider successful. 

plenty of travel / wildlife / etc photogs happily earning $1-$10 per image / per year, people that talk about 10000 images not being a big portfolio. :)

DanP68

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2008, 07:01 »
I seriously doubt that these shots have no release...you DO NOT get a break in this area if you are exclusive.

Diane/Mitch -

Exactly as I had assumed, these images do NOT have model releases.  I confirmed this through Support.  Like I said, the reviewer has some explaining to do.

Dan

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2008, 15:34 »
I dunno.. i didn't think it was THAT bad of a picture of dirt.

I have done allright selling solid background pictures of things like snow, old walls, and different types of textures.

Likewise....  Not on IS so much, but elsewhere, background shots like  "dirt"  sell for me.  I do a lot of wood, planking and such.  I took one shot of  wood siding, tinted it green and billed it as  "pressure treated wood" .. it sells. LOL  I upload them in categories such as texture, background, abstract...  they seem to sell.  In fact,  my second highest selling picture is a close-up shot of a red brick sidewalk.  It's been selling by the dozen(s)  every week now for a year and a half.  Close up of bricks. .. go figure.

MIZ pic....  the best!!!   However, dude, I know you're a top notch photog, light years ahead of me... but, I have to tell you, the shot could be confusing!!   I first  thought it  was a black bear eating licorice in a closet...   .. make sure your keywords are specific, bro!!

Likewise on the comment of shooting people at laptops, holding pencils to their mouth and sticking phones in their ears.  If that's what it takes, I'll never get rich in this business. I don't do that.
   On the other hand, I'm not in it as my prime source of income.... so I'll continue to shoot the stuff I like to shoot, landscape and  nature.  And contrary to what many profess,   landscape does sell, .........just ask my accountant.   8)=tom
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 15:35 by a.k.a.-tom »

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2008, 04:55 »
There are only 2 rules in life we have to obey.

#1. LIFE IS NOT FAIR

#2. YOU CAN"T CHANGE RULE #1

Other than that, anything goes!

The MIZ