MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: fotolia sales stopped after upload  (Read 5781 times)

« on: March 03, 2008, 20:27 »
This could be just a coincidence but my sales at fotolia stopped all of a sudden after a large (for my standards) upload. I was getting sales daily before the upload and pretty much nothing since the 23rd of feb.  My 7 day ranking was around 1900 before the upload and is now >5200. What happened? I know...ebb and flow - but I've had that bad of a dry spell on fotolia.

This is my first post but I've lurking in the background for a while...

John

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 20:52 »
such drop is very strange. I can only think of a computer bug. did you contact the support?

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 21:38 »
Same here (Fotolia all of a sudden stopped for me). I have uploaded 3 batches of images since my last sale at Fotolia, got them accepted, still no cigar... >:(

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 22:56 »
same here, but that's kind of how things work..no method to the madeness

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 08:27 »
There has been a brief dry spell. I didn't sell a single picture for the whole weekend (SS,IS,FT,DT,SX,123,BS,FL). Then yesterday the sales started slowly again. And it has looked almost normal today.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 13:49 »
pretty much the same experience for me too, I have started uploading for the first time in a couple of months, and have seen an increase in downloads at most sites, the only exception being fotolia, where the downloads have dropped.

But with a small portfolio such as mine its difficult to get a clear picture as I'm prone to more ebb and flow than those with a huge diverse portfolio.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 15:39 »
700 picture portfolio and after large batch sales drop to ZERO for a week.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 15:59 »
I haven't had a DL in over a week, then again with my pitiful little portfolio can't make too much of it, though it was slow and steady before this last week.

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 16:08 »
My last upload was on Feb 24th and I've had good sales since then.  FT is in fact leading my earning this month.

Regards,
Adelaide

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 16:38 »
sales seem to have been down. I have had less, but bigger images.  for the past week or so, my daily average is at about 65-70% of previous.  But I have been sitting around 390 in 7 day rank (the best it has ever been :) most of last month I was 450-550. So to my thinking either sales are down a bit for everyone.  Or the people at the top are 'hogging' all the sales :)  hopefully pick back up again soon :)

Personally dt & ss are making up for it, both are going great for the week or two.  But LO & CRE are each outselling StockXpert ? just the ebbs and flows :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 16:42 by rustyphil »

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 16:53 »
If you attempt to try and figure out how this business works.....and in the end you eventually do....
Please write a book about it and I will be first in line to buy a copy.

So many people here on this forum, and in others, have attempted to make rhyme and reason out of so many scenarios it makes my head spin!

Only upload in small batches
Never upload on a Friday
If you sell well on site "X" then you will sell well om site "Y"

I mean there are so many theory's and yet no one has mentioned what the "Winners"  who make it big do.
Do you think for one moment that the people who make 5 figures in this business follow the trends, or  theory's ?

I can just imagine them laughing at us; the small fry in the pond trying to swim the across a sea.
Trust me...if you put effort into becoming a good photographer, work hard, develop your talents, and stay healthy
it will go further to improve your submissions, earnings, and downloads than listening to these silly ideas.

I just had to say that. Forgive me if I offended anyone.
The MIZ

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 17:08 »

Trust me...if you put effort into becoming a good photographer, work hard, develop your talents, and stay healthy
it will go further to improve your submissions, earnings, and downloads than listening to these silly ideas.

I just had to say that. Forgive me if I offended anyone.
The MIZ

MIZ.... you're dead on, 100% KO-Rect!!   And to try to figure this business IS like trying to chase the wind and put it in your pocket...... I have come to that final conclusion...   there   IS  NO  rhyme or reason in the biz.   Just pix that sell and pix that don't. 
   And what one site says sux,  the next one sells like crazy.  No sense to it. Do the best you can, put the pic on the block and see if it sells.  If not.... they're like nachos... you go out and get more.  8)=tom

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 17:12 »
I had the same situation, I had a decent month the first 3 weeks of Feb, then all of sudden, the last two weeks, my ranking drops from 600 to 2400:(

vonkara

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 17:35 »
How many pictures FT have now compared to IS for example? I think that people whit huge portfolio are more advantaged at FT than at IS.

Because while IS limit the number of files in the first 100 pages, FT don't seem to have this feature. Then I will suppose that the overall ranking is not only there to let you look how you are compared to others, but also to show how your files are ranking in the best match

So that make some people way behind (people that say there's no sales) and maybe keep it there. Others that say how Fotolia is unbelievable have a good ranking and it will continue for long and maybe have a month where it will drop, then an other will have a chance to go up in ranking and best match

I'm not sure to understand myself, but now I start to know how work the FT best match. I also think that the Istock best match seem to me much more fair for newer contributors

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 20:07 »
My downloads started up again today, including an EL. I'll wait a while for the next upload and see what happens. Thanks for all your comments.

John

CCK

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 04:17 »
My sales at FT just stopped about 10 days ago.