pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Application to StockXpert  (Read 5662 times)

« on: March 06, 2008, 08:48 »
Hi folks, with my first application I've got rejection with StockXpert. And have to wait one month before second chance.
Could anyone advice which 5 photos to use for application to StockXpert from mine DT portfolio.
If you believe that all photos aren't good enough for application, please frankly tell this, I'd appreciate such feedback and will wait till got better ones or choose from those I didn't submit yet.

PS no photos from DT were used for initial application, those which I've submitted have problems with contrast(later thanks for help to people on this forum I realized which contrast levels are correct for picture).

Thank you in advance!

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 17:58 »
I think I would pick 2 from your DT folio.

Tartlets and Yellow Rudbec - not sure of the remainder!
I wish you well in your next attempt.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 18:03 »
Denis,

For variety, I would picked these, but then you have to check their quality.

I must say I was surprised that DT accepted that flowerpot with a shovel because of the shadows.

Regards,
Adelaide

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 18:10 »
Thanks for takestock and Adeladide!
I must say I was surprised that DT accepted that flowerpot with a shovel because of the shadows.
than you would be even more surprised when find out that the same image was accepted by FT and IS from first attempt :) You think it's really bad one because of shadows?
Actually I have same image without shadows but it simply don't work well in my opinion.
Thanks for warning about it as I was going to use it for my application.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 19:09 »
It's not that I don't like shadows - the one in the flower pot only is ok - but here it looks like you had something outside the image (maybe yourself) casting that shadow.  I mean, you have a main shadow from lighting coming from top left, but then the bottom right quarter has another smoother shadow. 

Regards,
Adelaide

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 19:22 »
It's not that I don't like shadows - the one in the flower pot only is ok - but here it looks like you had something outside the image (maybe yourself) casting that shadow.  I mean, you have a main shadow from lighting coming from top left, but then the bottom right quarter has another smoother shadow. 
Thanks for explanation, now I see what you mean.
this shadow arise from reflection of my main shadow, the problem is that my camera have broken hotshoe so I'm using slave flash which is activated by built-in flash, so probably I didn't close well my main flash which resulted in such shadow effect.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 10:22 »
Just want to chime in a little and see if anybody has any broad advice.  I was rejected on try #1 for we aren't looking for this with no other explanation.  What tends to be a safe app photo or safe StockXpert photo in general?

For example, for SS I was told/gathered that you are best off submitting shots that could have no possibility of noise, best bets are isolations and textures.

For IS I was told that shots that shine without PP are the best bet, such as a few good landscapes.

Neither place should have a heavily shadowed shot or shot that has any DOF effects, just to be safe (they can always be submitted later once you're in).

Following that advice I was quickly was accepted to both.  StockXpert on the other hand....what is safe?  Isolations, still life's, textures, landscapes, models, etc...?

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:57 »
anything will pass, except the "soft" image. sharpen reasonably before submitting to StockXpert. Also they want isolated images not to contain any of remnants of background: that is isolated on white should have 100% white background.

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 11:10 »
anything will pass, except the "soft" image. sharpen reasonably before submitting to StockXpert. Also they want isolated images not to contain any of remnants of background: that is isolated on white should have 100% white background.

Thanks, good advice, gives me some direction for the next app photos.  Just avoid the flowers  ;)

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 11:53 »
I have failed 3 applications to StockXpert so far: "At the moment we are not looking for pictures as the ones you uploaded".

I was submitting quite different subjects (but no sexy business women) and all submitted pictures were already accepted by IS and are selling there.

Well, I needed 4 applications to finally get into Shutterstock, so maybe, my pictures are not that good, just IS doesn't know about it and I am doing OK there.
 :)

Marek

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 14:57 »
I suppose I was one of the lucky ones!
Got in at first go!