MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Finding models  (Read 7291 times)

« on: April 13, 2008, 22:18 »
I just finished scheduling a BUNCH of models for this coming week and thought I'd share where I got them all.   The full post is on my blog but I thought I'd post some of it here too.  The "..." tells you where I cut down.

1) ModelMayhem - ....To find models in your area, click Browse, then choose your criteria.  I always keep it as open as possible, sorting by recent activity so you know theyre still on MM actively...

2) Craigslist - ...We got the basic structure for (our ad) off of the LuckyOliver forums, adapted it to our needs, added some of our photos from stock shoots and we try to tell everyone straight up front what the shoot is going to be like so we dont get a lot of rejected models...

3) Friends - ...The best tip I got was from (I think?) Andres Rodriguez who said he asks models at the end of a shoot if they know anyone whod like to have some fun & do a similar shoot...

4) Anywhere - ...Try this - Hiuhm, Im a professional photographer and I think youd make an awesome model.  Im going to give you my card & let you check out my stuff online.  Call me if you want to get together for a free shoot.  Then walk away.  Make your site good enough that people actually call, too! ...
-------
Anyways, hope that helps someone - we are going to be ridiculously busy this week but I'm pretty far behind in an upload contest so I need to get working!

~m

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 23:32 »
Like i said on another forum... good work will never put you out of business... :-)
I never need to promote myself.........

Patrick.

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 23:48 »
I never need to promote myself.........

Do you think that the majority are in this position?  My post was definitely aimed at someone with a lower level of experience than someone who is already shooting models every week.  :)  That's good though - that's where we should all get to.

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 23:50 »
Not every week.. more like every day.. major income comes from portfolio shoots, assigments, stock is only a small part of income.

Patrick.

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 23:53 »
Not every week.. more like every day.. major income comes from portfolio shoots, assigments, stock is only a small part of income.

Ok, shooting every day. 

(Are you trying to impress me?  Our photography business OUTSIDE of stock grossed $200k+ last year on weddings, portraits, portfolio shoots and real estate photography.  I'm not easily impressed in photography - I've taught at the biggest wed & portrait convention & was asked back.  Doesn't matter, really. I'm just trying to help people find some models...)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 23:55 by mantonino »

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 00:11 »
Not trying to impress you.. actually never take weddings anymore, christening etc... not because there is no money in it.. simply it doesn't challenge me.

For the rest i enjoy doing what i do... but stock is not  my living, not even for more then a year already.
To succeed in stock you need to have a site that realy pushes your portfolio to the front day after day, thus depending on the one reviewer or site owner that likes you... no more, no less... an believe me... been a reviewer on a one of the big 5 for almost 3 years, i know what i've seen, i know how it works.
The one and only fair site out there is SS... every pictures needs to prove it's own success.. most other sites work with ranking systems that determines were your pictures is displayed in searches, how good it will do how many sales you will have.

Patrick.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 00:13 by patrick1958 »

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 01:39 »
MM is my choice for finding new models as well.
I've not had much luck with approaching strangers and handing out my card  :-[

I even used MM to find and shoot with a model while traveling overseas to SE Asia  ;D

PS, I am in total awe of anyone that actually makes a living from Microstock.
It would need to be a full time job plus overtime for me to even come close to replacing my 'real job' income.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 03:04 »
hey mantonino,
thanks for the post and to share some tips. 
I usually find models in the "anywhere" and "friend" ways  ;), but I found modelmayhem pretty useful.
Best regards,
Diego

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 04:09 »
Anyways, hope that helps someone

Why would you want to help someone build a portfolio to compete with you?

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 05:08 »
Anyways, hope that helps someone

I thought that was why we were here....to help each other?

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 10:16 »

I kind of thought that was the point of having MSG?  Give help, get help, grow the people who are here?  I didn't know it was just a place to complain, bitch & piss/moan about reviews or better, to wait for a few people to do so then jump em.

Why are you on this forum?

michealo

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 14:03 »
I suspect Sean is here mostly to antagonise the Miz ;-)