MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: What micro sites accept editorial photos?  (Read 6362 times)

« on: July 17, 2008, 13:19 »
Please name the microstock sites that accept editorial images.   Example: Barack Obama

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 14:26 »
Thanks so much Oboy, you really saved my day.---Oscar

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 15:52 »
As far as I have seen Yaymicro is the only one that truly understands editorial images. Except nothing is selling there so far.

I look in the newspaper each day and see an example of outside a Boeing building, or outside a Virgin store.

Unfortunately, the majority of micro sites do not see these types of images as editorial stock. It seems DT only wants things that are related to a specific incident. Which is a waste of time.

If you wanted to submit them, you would not choose a micro site. There are specific news sites that pay thousands of dollars for images of specific events.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 19:02 »
As far as I have seen Yaymicro is the only one that truly understands editorial images. Except nothing is selling there so far.

Alamy obviously understands editorial as well. It even dominates most of the portfolios there. FP and Scanstock will also accept most or any editorial photos in my experience

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 02:10 »
Please name the microstock sites that accept editorial images.   Example: Barack Obama

Little quick lesson...

If you have a shot of a celebrity, it might sell a couple of times in it's lifetime before sinking to the bottom of the pile.  You could put it on Shutterstock, sell it ten times, and then it's gone because it's not relevant anymore.  Celebrity pictures generally aren't classics that keep selling.  They are relevant for news coverage of *that* event.  You've made $2.50.

If you put it with a traditional agency who do editorial, you could sell it several times for several hundred dollars before it again, goes down to the bottom of the pile.

Photographers who sell "news worthy" editorial shots on the micros are doing themselves a disservice.  Go with an editorial agency and get the most bang for your buck.  Make it worthwhile shooting this type of event.

BTW, did you know that OK magazine now pay less than 20% of what they used to several years ago for celeb pics?  You get 20 now if your images is published.  Obviously that's not for the feature spread, they're paid many, many thousands of pounds (got friends who have shot for them).

I'm all about targeting the right market with the right shots (otherwise I wouldn't have a portfolio on iStock).  But celeb shots etc should be part of your premium brand, not part of your budget brand.  IMHO.

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 03:23 »
Has anybody tried Scoopt (www.scoopt.com)?

If so, did you get any sales?

I notice it's owned by Getty Images.

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 05:14 »
Photographers who sell "news worthy" editorial shots on the micros are doing themselves a disservice.  Go with an editorial agency and get the most bang for your buck.  Make it worthwhile shooting this type of event.

I agree. The only value of the "editorial" category at agencies like SS, is to be allowed to upload images that would have been rejected because of trade marks etc. The real valuable, but low volume ones should be sold as RM. Alamy is an obvious place to upload those, but there are other alternatives as well.

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 17:05 »
Editorial images at micros equals a waste of time...

Editorial images, by its nature, will get few downloads... Why accept peanuts for those few downloads when they can earn more (far far more) at traditional stock sites.  I just sold one at Alamy today, as editorial... At a microsite, even at a dollar a pop it would have required 80 downloads to just match the single earnings from one sale... And the image is so strange that I really dont know if it will sell again... At a micro it would have earned one dollar, or less...