MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Major Crash - Need help!  (Read 5363 times)

Roadrunner

• Roadrunner
« on: July 22, 2008, 09:37 »
I just had my external drive go toes up due to the USB plug coming disconnected as a file was being written to it!  As a result, The drive can no longer be accessed.  So I lost all my image files saved between 4-2007 and 1-2008.  After some work, I got the computer to recognize the DR, but I cannot access it.

I think either 123RF or YAYMicro enables us to download our own files as a backup in case of such emergencies. 

Can someone advise which one it is and how do we do it?

I have a new Exteral DR on the way, so I want to back up everything ASAP.  In a couple of months I'll get a second External HD to back that up.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Roadrunner

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:50 »
download a copy of Knoppix. You'll also need to download a CD burn tool that will burn ISO images. Burn an ISO of Knoppix to a CD. Boot your machine from the CD. Knoppix is a linux OS that runs from your drive and can access any/all of your drives and you should be able to darag and drop everything from the crapped drive to another external or internal. It worked for me when one of my drives s@*t the bed.

I would also recommend downloading Clonezilla and start periodically making ISO backups of your drives. Next time one goes down, you simply reload your latest image of that drive and all of your data, applications (including Windows or whatever OS you're using), and all your user names/password are intact.

Hope this helps - good luck.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:53 »
123 does allow you to download individual images...would take awhile tho : )

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:58 »
And Stockxpert as well. Just log in and go to the download page. It should say(free for you) under the specific Credit price of the download size.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 09:59 »
DT  will also help out if asked nicely.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 12:40 »
You can try using some data recovery software.

newbielink:http://www.r-studio.com/ [nonactive]

You can start with there demo. It will scan the drive for files.
I am a desktop support guy by day and have used R-studio a few times when drives have gone south.

Roadrunner

• Roadrunner
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 14:40 »
Thanks loads gus and gals for the priceless advice!  I'm often concerned about the internl HD Dr crashing.  All of you have given me great advice which I shall take with great appreciation!

Roadrunner

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 15:08 »
Hey it is good to hear some of the sites let you do that!

I lost everything last week. External hard drive and internal hard drive. 15,000 pics gone.

JerryL5

• Blessed by God's wonderful love.
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 15:26 »
Also Zero Assumption looks good. They have a trial version, I think.

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 16:11 »
The following site has an excellent photo recovery tool.  It doesn't need to be installed, and recovers virtually 100%.  Plus it is free.  I used it to recover over 10,000 photos for a friend.

http://www.artplus.hr/adapps/eng/dpr.htm

Marburg

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 03:26 »
Hey it is good to hear some of the sites let you do that!

I lost everything last week. External hard drive and internal hard drive. 15,000 pics gone.

Did u find them again?

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 11:54 »
After a major crash 7 years ago. I started burning every image I shoot to DVD's

Every image I have is saved as the original RAW
Also save on a different DVD in .tiff
Also all images being offered to stock are saved as .jpg on a different DVD

Yes I have several hundred DVD's spanning the last 60 years of film and digital.
Copys of my most valuble image DVD's are in a bank safety box in the event of fire.

My computer could crash this minute and the only thing I would loose is this posting.

Live and learn.

-Larry

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 12:53 »
Larry,
  Well done with backing up. I'm too lazy to burn DVD's. But I do have a 2TB hard drive in my fireproof safe with all files on it that is never more than a month behind. Another 1.5TB hard drive is on my desktop with all files including current files. With the low cost of big HDs it's quite easy to simply drag the files to the backup HD.

RacePhoto

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 14:39 »
Thanks loads gus and gals for the priceless advice!  I'm often concerned about the internl HD Dr crashing.  All of you have given me great advice which I shall take with great appreciation!

Roadrunner

Could be there's nothing wrong with the drive at all except a corrupted table of contents. Norton NDD, or anything that fixes sector errors might just get everything back. CHKDSK may be able to fix it.

People think that a bad file means the drive is dead, and it's not. You very possibly have lost nothing. Which I'm sure you would be happy to find out.  ;D

A major crash would be the drive stops spinning, or it sounds like a little set of drums in there.  ;) You have a potentially minor problem that's data related, not a mechanical crash.

Good Luck!

ps I back up to CDs and DVDs, but the external drive is my working backup.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 14:40 by RacePhoto »

Roadrunner

• Roadrunner
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 10:16 »
I downloaded the trial version of the software recommended above.  The message indicated by the scan was "Cannot read - Corrupted ISO Port."  I'm not sure if it is only a Norton Fix or no; I will give it a try.  I did run Chk Disk, but my computer freezes and I get a message "Program not responding.

I'm still trying.  I am able to download one at a time from 123RF; thank God!