MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Dreamstime rejections  (Read 31569 times)

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2011, 05:12 »
LOL the first post is from 2006!

If the person posting the delayed reply had only waited until January it would have been a full five year old "back from the dead topic". :)

It does point out how some things just don't change much?

Yep, I was going to mention that. Nothing has changed, apparently.  :)

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2012, 08:06 »
I have recently started doing illustrations and have had pretty much all of them accepted on the other stock sites, but dreamstime has rejected most due to 'distorted pixels' and 'not saved at highest quality' I then re-submitted them having dealt with the problem, and the first two were accepted, the next five rejected for same reason, and yet, I did the same to all of them, so how can it be acceptable for the first two but not for the next five. I also had rejection for too simplistic, not enough elements in image, which was a boat on sea in sunset with birds etc (illustration) and yet I see on the homepage latest uploads include images with just one item in the middle of a white background, dont understand how to please them  :-[

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2012, 17:15 »
I hate to say it, but looks like the reviewing problems may be back at DT. They have a large backlog, and it looks like they may have hired one or more reviewers who don't know what they are doing.

Of my last five uploads I had two rejected for 'too simple' (Those images are not 'too simple' to make money, because they have been accepted at every site but DT and are already getting sales.)

I may suspend submitting to DT for a while (as I have done before) and wait for the insanity to end. I figure that on average I lose between $25 - $50 for every one of these bad rejections. Unfortunately for DT, they lose more than I do for these senseless rejections. Why they allow these spurts of bad-rejection madness I do not understand. :-\

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2012, 17:22 »
not even top contributors have their respect, thats so cool (sarcastic of course)

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2012, 17:49 »
I've had that "distorted pixels rejection" as well. In fact besides the "to many rejection" that is about the only reason i've had for rejections in some time. I'm not sure what the distorted pixels thing is however. When I check the jpg by opening it in Photoshop it is super clean even up to 600% zoom. Maybe someone can clear up what they mean and how to avoid it. It almost seems like they need to throw in an arbitrary rejection sometimes. I can't figure out the difference between the accepted ones and the rejected ones.

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2012, 18:02 »
When you don't understand a rejection, send a polite email to support asking about that specific rejection.  On the few occasions that I've tried this, I have been extremely impressed with the responses I've gotten.  A lot can be learned about what is being looked for this way.

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2012, 18:03 »
When you don't understand a rejection, send a polite email to support asking about that specific rejection.  On the few occasions that I've tried this, I have been extremely impressed with the responses I've gotten.  A lot can be learned about what is being looked for this way.

seriously? DONT :)

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2012, 20:57 »
not even top contributors have their respect, thats so cool (sarcastic of course)

Of course they don't.  Look at the spat that took place between Yuri and Serban for too similar rejections on Yuri's submissions.  From what I read in that thread, Serban prevailed. If that is actually hard evidence, it's not worth complaining about DT rejections because us "little people" won't win. :-\

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2012, 22:33 »

Of course they don't.  Look at the spat that took place between Yuri and Serban for too similar rejections on Yuri's submissions.  From what I read in that thread, Serban prevailed. If that is actually hard evidence, it's not worth complaining about DT rejections because us "little people" won't win. :-\

right, no point in complaining a rejection (actually it "may" screw you), on the other hand never had a rejection from a resubmission at IS

ruxpriencdiam

This user is banned.
  • Location. Third stone from the sun
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2012, 07:59 »
Ok here's some recent ones.

Too many photos/illustrations on the same subject or from the same series. Your submission should not duplicate content already in your portfolio or content which you plan to upload separately in the future (ie. collages based on your images). Please be more selective and choose only the best shots or illustrations. Avoid submitting simple variations on the same subject or duplicating content already in your portfolio (including from collages). You can create sets of similars (several shots included within the same image). That will help the file sell better and generate higher royalties via our level-based system.

Now what can be similar between a V-8 Vega, Plymouth Barracuda, Dodge Challenger and a Plymouth Duster?

Oh yeah that's right they are all cars DUH! (editorial)

And then today i get this.

- The image contains elements that might be protected by copyright/trademark (logos, brands, specific buildings etc.), can identify a property/product (letters, numbers), or could raise usage problems, therefore it doesn't qualify as a RF stock image. Analyze the photo closely and remove these elements if possible or try to obtain a property release. Read more: http://www.dreamstime.com/thread_148

On a 1957 farm tractor of which i have removed all copyright/trademark ID's the only thing left were what are know as "Block casting numbers" which in no way can be used to identify anything at all, all vehicles manufactured have "Block casting numbers" on the blocks and transmissions it only identifies the factory line which manufactured that piece for the vehicle.

Stupid rejections plain out stupid!

RacePhoto

« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2012, 02:31 »

Too many photos/illustrations on the same subject or from the same series. Your submission should not duplicate content already in your portfolio or content which you plan to upload separately in the future (ie. collages based on your images). Please be more selective and choose only the best shots or illustrations. Avoid submitting simple variations on the same subject or duplicating content already in your portfolio (including from collages). You can create sets of similars (several shots included within the same image). That will help the file sell better and generate higher royalties via our level-based system.

Now what can be similar between a V-8 Vega, Plymouth Barracuda, Dodge Challenger and a Plymouth Duster?

- The image contains elements that might be protected by copyright/trademark (logos, brands, specific buildings etc.), can identify a property/product (letters, numbers), or could raise usage problems, therefore it doesn't qualify as a RF stock image. Analyze the photo closely and remove these elements if possible or try to obtain a property release. Read more: http://www.dreamstime.com/thread_148

On a 1957 farm tractor of which i have removed all copyright/trademark ID's the only thing left were what are know as "Block casting numbers" which in no way can be used to identify anything at all, all vehicles manufactured have "Block casting numbers" on the blocks and transmissions it only identifies the factory line which manufactured that piece for the vehicle.

You are perfectly correct. Let me point out, I try to avoid writing in topics where I don't belong or contribute any longer. DT would be one of those.

But when I left and closed my account, it was because to DT a Yellow Corvette is the same as a red Alfa Romeo. They are both cars and they are too similar. Done deal, they hire their reviewers from people raised by wolves in a cave in some mountains without television or magazines. Either that or people who have never been out of their small town in their life, until Internet came in via satellite. Whatever it is, there's little understanding that all cars are not the same. All "X" is not the same.

And although I'm small time, my best sellers from IS and SS at that time were rejected for "too many like this, they don't sell well." (same as FT which was the reason pulled the plug there as well.) I do that much and if they are going to be rejected for inventive reasons which are fabrications, then what's the use?

That's OK keep a positive outlook, FT and DT took things that IS and SS refused, and they never sold. So they don't have a clue either way.  ???

I like DT and the staff, but their reviews are done by aliens from space, pretending to be human born. That's about the only explanation I could come up with for the bizarre rejections for similars that had nothing in common past being a rectangle? LOL

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2012, 03:37 »

You are perfectly correct. Let me point out, I try to avoid writing in topics where I don't belong or contribute any longer. DT would be one of those.

But when I left and closed my account, it was because to DT a Yellow Corvette is the same as a red Alfa Romeo. They are both cars and they are too similar. Done deal, they hire their reviewers from people raised by wolves in a cave in some mountains without television or magazines. Either that or people who have never been out of their small town in their life, until Internet came in via satellite. Whatever it is, there's little understanding that all cars are not the same. All "X" is not the same.

And although I'm small time, my best sellers from IS and SS at that time were rejected for "too many like this, they don't sell well." (same as FT which was the reason pulled the plug there as well.) I do that much and if they are going to be rejected for inventive reasons which are fabrications, then what's the use?

That's OK keep a positive outlook, FT and DT took things that IS and SS refused, and they never sold. So they don't have a clue either way.  ???

I like DT and the staff, but their reviews are done by aliens from space, pretending to be human born. That's about the only explanation I could come up with for the bizarre rejections for similars that had nothing in common past being a rectangle? LOL

I've seen a theory been mentioned a few times on msg that they have something to read and compare keywords of your recent submissions. So they could be finding similar keywords and rejecting on that basis. It's just a theory, but plausible because often the rejections do seem like the images have not even been looked at.

RacePhoto

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2012, 03:57 »
I've seen a theory been mentioned a few times on msg that they have something to read and compare keywords of your recent submissions. So they could be finding similar keywords and rejecting on that basis. It's just a theory, but plausible because often the rejections do seem like the images have not even been looked at.

Ah back to the computers and bots doing reviews not humans? Or maybe people who don't speak English! Or perhaps some Coneheads. LOL
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:59 by RacePhoto »

Wim

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2012, 11:23 »
DT is amongst the worst. From all the top tiers FT seems to favor my work the most, almost no rejections, at least not for ridiculous reasons.

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2012, 17:57 »
It's definitely humans on DT although not so sure about FT - last rejection there was in November and that was because I included a transparancy mask as well as the isolated figure (which was accepted on it's own after). Since then there have been 1 or 2 accepted that even I would probably have rejected :)

lisafx

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2012, 18:24 »

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2012, 18:43 »
I think they're using the same reviewers as PDune...
atrocious rejection rates   ugh! :P

Noodles

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2012, 20:22 »
I think they're using the same reviewers as PDune...
atrocious rejection rates   ugh! :P

err........  speaking of too close for comfort

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2012, 13:15 »
It's definitely humans on DT although not so sure about FT - last rejection there was in November and that was because I included a transparancy mask as well as the isolated figure (which was accepted on it's own after). Since then there have been 1 or 2 accepted that even I would probably have rejected :)

I don't really make any effort with building my port up on ft. The first time I heard that ft reviews are not a human process, I did a very small test, which may or may not prove anything. I searched my port for an image with the lowest commercial value imaginable (I mean it was absolute rubbish), but which is perfect in quality, perfect lighting conditions, perfect exposure, contrast, colours, no noise whatsoever. I then sent it to ft, it was accepted (which I find unbelievable). I then sent it to a few other agencies (again still part of the test). Anyway, as I expected the image was rejected by the other agencies I sent it to and rightly so. Dt, "This is a very well covered subject.."; GL, "We are not interested in this image.."; Yaymicro, "Please improve composition/background/content". Yes it was even rejected by Yay!

It sits on ft with 2 views after several months and of course no sales. Why? Because it's rubbish. ft didn't even look at it (IMO), if they did they would have rejected it.

« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2012, 14:53 »
yes. DT review system is going to be one of the most weird review system or probably has already been so. Its not that my acceptance decreased there but there review is really shocking day by day. Really why dont they allow the buyers to decide what to buy or not if images are technically good. Someone has rightly said in the thread. The reviewers of DT are like frogs of well lol Rather allowing contributors to decide their genera DT should change genera of its Reviewers. lol

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2012, 07:52 »
I don't share your experience. My worst agency is FT by far, 26 approved of more then 130 images submitted, in the same time, more then 100 of same images approved on SS, about 90 on DT and 70 on 123rf (still 30 pending)

IMO Alamy is much easier then FT.

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2012, 08:05 »
I don't share your experience. My worst agency is FT by far, 26 approved of more then 130 images submitted, in the same time, more then 100 of same images approved on SS, about 90 on DT and 70 on 123rf (still 30 pending)

i am in similar boat like you but my boat is bit bigger than yours. Out of my latest 147 pix to FT only 24 were accepted while 70-90% from these pix have been accepted by other agencies.

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2012, 09:01 »
yes. DT review system is going to be one of the most weird review system or probably has already been so. Its not that my acceptance decreased there but there review is really shocking day by day. Really why dont they allow the buyers to decide what to buy or not if images are technically good. Someone has rightly said in the thread. The reviewers of DT are like frogs of well lol Rather allowing contributors to decide their genera DT should change genera of its Reviewers. lol

DTs original explanation of too similar was pretty clear.  They showed examples of images that were of the same item but shot at various angles. That policy was obvious to me, the message being "don't send us more than one image of the same object".  Today this kind of rejection has morphed into "theme" too similar.  So one submits 5 or 6 completely different images with completely different props but similar themes and BLAMO....all but one rejected for too similar.  We are now being rejected for "themes too similar" as far as I am concerned.  I am surprised that Serbian hasn't addressed this more fairly and retrained their inspectors to get back to the basics of their original too similar logic.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 17:32 by Mantis »

Paulo M. F. Pires

• "No Gods No Masters"
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2012, 15:43 »

But Alamy don't evaluate "Commercial Value"...

Actually, as low earner, I'm not worried with rejection on FT, because I sale the old same files...

« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2012, 14:43 »

i have another experience. my upload accepting in FT is around 40 percent ( 69 files submitted, 30 accepted - 8 in "free section", 22 fully accepted).
in DT is around 4.6 %  - 103 refused and 5 accepted. FT accepts some of files, who DT reject. DT not accepted files in "free" section from me at all!

that is my tale...