MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: print business cards, turning out to be a good earner  (Read 54989 times)

LSD72

• My Bologna has a first name...
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2010, 18:25 »
Tiffs with LZW Compression.

« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2010, 18:31 »
Tiffs with LZW Compression.
And CMYK colorspace.

« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2010, 19:09 »
Incidentally, I use a freeware image viewer called "FastStone Image Viewer" which does a really good job of rendering images into CMYK colorspace and LZW compression.  I use PSP 12 to have the image ready in RGB colorspace then do the CMYK conversion using FastStone, works like a charm.  I never liked how PSP did the CMYK conversion.

« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2010, 19:35 »
Eppic,

It's good that you've mentioned, I also had problem with PSP's CMYK conversion, especially skin tones.  What I do is prepare the image in PSP, then paste it onto a template in AI, and then save it as CMYK TIFF. Apparently it has solved the problems. I will check your solution too.

« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2010, 02:21 »
Why don't you work in CMYK from the start? That way you know what you are getting.

« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2010, 04:09 »
PSP doesn't work in CMYK

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2010, 12:27 »
Incidentally, I use a freeware image viewer called "FastStone Image Viewer" which does a really good job of rendering images into CMYK colorspace and LZW compression.  I use PSP 12 to have the image ready in RGB colorspace then do the CMYK conversion using FastStone, works like a charm.  I never liked how PSP did the CMYK conversion.

Thanks for that advice eppic. I always have trouble with the color after saving to CMKY Tiff. Some of the colors are so blown out they look really bad. So those go to the delete bin... :D I'm going to check out that software.

TimMc

« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2010, 14:54 »
Are all files that are uploaded there to be psd files?  If so what version of Photoshop.  I ask because my version is way back to PS 7 and may not be what you're after if you need CS or above.  I couldn't find an FAQ to view answers to my question.

If anyone that's on the site as a contributor could answer or if Tim's around I would really appreciate it :)

It's nice to see some folks posting in this thread again.

I wanted to pop in and address Anita's question directly:

Photoshop 7 is fine. I have it on one of my laptops and still use it frequently. We use TIFF files and they can be created in multiple programs and any version of Photoshop, as that is a graphics standard, but it just does not work as well if you don't use photoshop and elements does not have CMYK support. However, it seems that a few people have found excellent ways to workaround that issue - which is great.

Hopefully that sufficiently answers your question.

If anyone else has a question, please feel free to ask!

I hope that more of you will give our program a shot - we are still growing in spite of the lousy economy. We have a great group of talented artists and would welcome your creative abilities as well.

Thanks!

« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2010, 15:49 »
It's nice to see some folks posting in this thread again.

I wanted to pop in and address Anita's question directly:

Photoshop 7 is fine. I have it on one of my laptops and still use it frequently. We use TIFF files and they can be created in multiple programs and any version of Photoshop, as that is a graphics standard, but it just does not work as well if you don't use photoshop and elements does not have CMYK support. However, it seems that a few people have found excellent ways to workaround that issue - which is great.

Hopefully that sufficiently answers your question.

If anyone else has a question, please feel free to ask!

I hope that more of you will give our program a shot - we are still growing in spite of the lousy economy. We have a great group of talented artists and would welcome your creative abilities as well.

Thanks!

Awesome Tim!  I shall now go over and start the application process.  :)  If I have any other questions I won't hesitate to ask :)

Thanks again,

Anita

TimMc

« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2010, 15:55 »
Fantastic!

Thanks Anita!  ;D

« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2010, 18:19 »
I am a Linux user and just started submitting some designs. The GIMP (the PS replacement for Linux) does not do color space conversions, but there is a program called Krita which does a huge list of conversions including CMYK. Another options is the Faststone Viewer mentioned earlier which can be run in Linux under Wine.

« Reply #161 on: November 19, 2010, 00:56 »
Fantastic!

Thanks Anita!  ;D

No, thank you :D Going to work on a few designs tonight got my master template all set up.  I'll ask my other questions on your forum :)

Can't wait to get started!

TheSmilingAssassin

This user is banned.
« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2011, 07:56 »
Hi all,

Please dont be sucked in by this company.  They lure you in by comparing their payouts to microstock payments but theyre not a microstock agent, they are a Print On Demand company and in terms of POD standards, they are ripping you people off, big time!!  

When I first read about them on this thread, I thought, hmm, $5 is a little on the cheap side but its not too bad so I signed up with them and proceeded to create my business card templates.  After creating 21 out of 25 (the minimum you need before your profile is created), I asked myself a question I should have asked from the beginning... how many cards is the customer receiving when I receive my $5?  I had just assumed it was 100 cards.  I then went into printbusinesscards.com, loaded a card as if to buy it and noticed that the minimum purchase was 500 cards for $65.  My jaw dropped when I realised I would only be receiving less than 8% commission.  I thought thats pretty bad and its the lowest commission Ive seen so far.  Even CafePress, whos considered the iStock of the POD world pays 10% commission.  I then emailed Tim McWhorter to find out a bit more about their payment structure and he pointed me towards the artist agreement and things got worse from there on.  I realised that we dont even receive a commission.  Its a measly one-off payment of $5.  It doesnt matter how many cards you sell to that customer, you still only receive $5. To make things worse if the customer is ordering for a company, he/she can order more cards for various people in that company and you still receive nothing more.  So after the first initial sale to a customer, printbusinesscards.com keeps selling your design and pocketing $65 each time and you get nothing.  That is disgusting!

Now I want to compare them to Zazzle and their business cards.  Over at Zazzle I get paid a commission of at least 10%.  I can set the commission to whatever I want and believe me, I get paid way more than 10%... way way more!  So I receive much more than $5 for 100 (not 500) and a lot of customers keep coming back for more.  I sold 15 lots of 100 cards the other day and made $85 on just one sale.  I make more (again much more) at Zazzle than I do at all the microstock agents combined.  Now get this.  Not only do you get paid your commission at Zazzle but you get paid 15% commission on product referrals.  You can promote your own and others products and receive 15% for it.  

So please dont let yourselves be ripped off by this company.  Its disgusting how they come here targeting artists and photographers who the majority are not designers and dont know much about POD sites.  They justify themselves by comparing their company with Dreamstime but theres no comparison.  You should be getting paid for your DESIGN, not just for an image.  You dont just slap on an image on a white card and sell it, you design it and that takes time, thought and effort and you should be paid what you deserve to be paid.

Please dont sell yourselves short, tell this company to go jump and join a proper POD site who pays you fair commissions.  Most of them do, not just Zazzle.

This is my store at Zazzle if you want to see who I am.  http://www.zazzle.com/sunnymars

I signed up in August and Im doing fairly well already.  If you like have a look at what a couple of other designers said about PBCs pricing system on my facebook page when I wrote a post about them...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunny-Mars-Designs/150453311638512

You can take my advice and ditch these ripoff artists or you can ignore it. Personally I prefer less competition at Zazzle but I hate watching companies like this one take advantage of hard working artists and photographers.

I did my bit, take it easy!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:00 by pseudonymous »

« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2011, 10:09 »
Before you joined you should off read the artist agreement.
Why are you being so negative about theartofbusinesscards.com if you don't like what you see leave
I like it there I sold some cards with in a short time I have been there.
calling  theartofbusinesscards.com a rip-off is a bit harsh.

:-*

« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2011, 10:22 »
I think it's a bit bad show of you to rip into them this way, I was quite aware of the terms when I joined, and I'm sure everyone else there is too. It's always a good idea to read the terms before you join! I still use the same designs at Zazzle, I don't believe it's taking any of those sales away, and means additional sales on top of the ones I already have. They're brilliant at paying, no minimum to wait for. It may not be the best deal in the world, but it's still extra sales, and far from being a rip off. The point is, it's in the terms, and I believe we all still have free choice.

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #165 on: January 18, 2011, 10:31 »
pseudonymous....I got one question for you...

I'm a contributor to artofbusinesscards.com and I want to know why you even signed up if you value your illustrations so much? You had the opportunity to read the artist agreement after you signed up and if you didn't, then that is your stupidity not Tim's. No one twisted your arm to continue, so you really have no one to blame but yourself.
If you didn't like it you didn't have to submit. You never even made it live so I don't understand what your problem is. If you read the forum's here you would have known the way they do business. I knew that when I went in and I did it by my own choice, not Tim's. Tim did not twist your arm to join. I have very consistent sales there. Bashing Tim in public forums is a bit slanderous. I personally think you owe him an apology.

Just so everyone knows....you get $5.00 per sale and $20.00 per art sale. Yes it is true you only get $5.00 even if they sale the card multiple times to the "same" customer. You can resale the card to a "new" customer for $5.00 more. I use old rejected microstock or just portions of those shots other wise they would just sit on my hard drive making nothing. It's your choice rather you want to join or not.

TheSmilingAssassin

This user is banned.
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2011, 10:54 »
Actually you CANNOT read the terms until AFTER you join.  It is a private site.  I went by what all that was written in this thread.  $5 when you sell your cards.  In POD terms that usually means $5 commission EACH time you sell your cards, not just the first time they sell to a client. 

My god, if you people still can't see how much of a ripoff this company is, then I can see why they came here looking to recruit you lot.  You may as well stay there and allow designers to be paid POD standards.  You whinge about what has happened to microstock and how companies like iStock rip you off and now you have branched out and are set to lower commissions of the POD world too.  Pathetic really!

I didn't make it to live because I signed up right before Christmas, had a break and came back and then read the terms.  I came to the conclusion that they're a ripoff when comparing them to other POD sites, which is what they are, and you're calling me stupid?  You on the other hand read the agreement and accepted the terms because you compared them to microstock.  Who's stupid?

You get some sales from this company and you're excited?  Apart from the crappy low payment of $5 for 500 cards, you're also missing out on potential sales from returning customers.  You won't get that there but you would at any other POD site and the beauty of business cards is the sale from returning customers.  That's where the money is.

I signed up because I read this misleading thread and don't want any other self-respecting designer to read, sign up only to realise what a huge RIPOFF they are because, let me tell you, just about every DESIGNER who deals on any normal POD site will agree with me.  But you stay there.  I'm not asking anyone to leave.  I'm offering sound advice and giving other people who read this thread a real option to be paid fairly.  If you're happy being ripped off, that's fine by me. You sit there pretty on this low paying, degrading site, I couldn't give a rat's posterior.  That's you. I don't want any more competition anyway. 

But for those with half a brain who read this thread and don't want to be ripped off, you should skip this disgusting site and sign up on any other REAL POD and earn proper commissions.

That's all.  I'm not going to argue about this.  There's nothing to argue.  Printbusinesscards is a POD and in POD standards, they're a ripoff. 

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2011, 11:15 »
pseudonymous

If you notice Tim DID NOT start this thread...a contributor did. Tim came on here to address the question's the contributors had.

You said:
"You on the other hand read the agreement and accepted the terms because you compared them to microstock."

DO NOT put words in my mouth....I did not compare the them to microstock...I said

"I use old rejected microstock or just portions of those shots other wise they would just sit on my hard drive making nothing"

I DID NOT compare them to microstock.

Another example how you don't read before you speak.

It did not cost you any thing to sign up...none of your design's sold...you had the opportunity to read the Artist Agreement after you signed up and had the opportunity to chose not to participate. Many of us are on Zazzle and it's great that you sell so much on there, but you have no right to come on here and call ABC a ripoff. They don't keep your money, you get paid. Everyone here has a choice to join and contribute. If you don't care then why in the world are you on here bashing them. They ARE NOT a microstock site and no one has compared them to one.

« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2011, 11:39 »
I don't really know why you're being so aggressive and derogatory about other people's choices. It's all very pointless, and damaging to a company that doesn't deserve it. What has really got up your nose about it so much?  The fact that we're not as intelligent as you?

TheSmilingAssassin

This user is banned.
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2011, 11:42 »
If you notice Tim DID NOT start this thread...a contributor did. Tim came on here to address the question's the contributors had.

Perhaps you failed to see where Tim openly admitted to sending "Mark" in to start this thread and then apologised for it when people jumped on him.

"You on the other hand read the agreement and accepted the terms because you compared them to microstock."

DO NOT put words in my mouth....I did not compare the them to microstock...I said

"I use old rejected microstock or just portions of those shots other wise they would just sit on my hard drive making nothing"

I DID NOT compare them to microstock.

You seem a little frantic, calm down.  I did not put words in your mouth, I'm stating the obvious.  Of course you signed up because you compared them to microstock, you sell microstock.  If you had compared them to any other fair-paying POD site you would have signed up with them and used your rejects and portions on those sites instead.

Another example how you don't read before you speak.

It did not cost you any thing to sign up...none of your design's sold...you had the opportunity to read the Artist Agreement after you signed up and had the opportunity to chose not to participate. Many of us are on Zazzle and it's great that you sell so much on there, but you have no right to come on here and call ABC a ripoff. They don't keep your money, you get paid. Everyone here has a choice to join and contribute. If you don't care then why in the world are you on here bashing them. They ARE NOT a microstock site and no one has compared them to one.

Look, not everything is about you.  Like I said, and I'll repeat this once more hoping it sinks in, I don't care if you stay there being ripped off or if you leave.  I wrote this thread to state my opinion because I signed up after reading this thread and don't want anyone else signing up just because most of you, who are obviously clueless about POD sites and their standards, rated this crappy site highly when really, it's the lowest paying POD site on the net.  There is arguement here, compared to other POD sites, they're a ripoff.  You cannot say that they are not, they are.  It's there in black and white and I have every right to say that here.  I am not just writing BS, I am comparing apples to apples and you, in you're own deluded head, are comparing apples to oranges because if you weren't you would not have accepted their terms.  

As for this rubbish about comparing them to microstock, it is Tim, the manager who does that.  In his email to me he wrote...

Well, that wasn't the response I was anticipating.

A huge ripoff? How do you figure?

What's a huge ripoff for you is when a customer goes to your microstock galleries at Dreamstime, CanStock, or 123rf, buys the image for $1, $2, $3, you get a fraction of that and we still print their business cards. That's a rip off for you. Of course, then they use that same image to go print their brochures, put it on their website and wherever else they choose - all for $1.

This is how he brainwashed you all into thinking he'll pay you fairly.  The point is, you'regetting paid by microstock standards, not POD standards.  

CONCLUSION, they are a ripoff... a HUGE ripoff.

Shhhh :)

TheSmilingAssassin

This user is banned.
« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2011, 11:57 »
I don't really know why you're being so aggressive and derogatory about other people's choices. It's all very pointless, and damaging to a company that doesn't deserve it. What has really got up your nose about it so much?  The fact that we're not as intelligent as you?

No I accepted that you all aren't as intelligent as me a long time ago :)

Nothing is up my nose.  Agressive?  I don't think so, perhaps you're overly sensitive?  I came to write a fair assessment of what I think of this site just like you people have.  Is that not my right?  I dealt with them and now have an opinion of them and that opinion is that they are fairly disgusting and rip artist off.  You can rate it highly and I have rated it accurately.  As for damaging the company, I'm sure they will eventually do that on their own.  If my opinion about them being a ripoff compared to every other POD site I've come across is invalid then they have nothing to worry about do they?  Anyone who reads their terms and bothers to compare them to other sites will come to the same conclusion as I have. 

I wrote my opinion and you all jumped down my throat, why?  Is it possible that you can't stand anyone having a differing opinion to you. 

I'll repeat it once more.  If you're happy with this site, ignore my opinion and move on.  But if there's someone else who's reading this (which by the way, lots of people who don't post here read the site) then I hope they take my opinion into consideration and compare this site's payment structure to other POD sites.  I'm sure they'll come to the same conclusion that printbusinesscards do not pay fairly in terms of POD standards.

I'm done!! 

PS, Gill, are you ruralfrance from Zazzle?  That's you isn't it?

« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2011, 12:06 »
No, your opinion was not fair, but you're going to give it anyway, it's all clearly in the terms, you just chose not to read them. If you don't care, why do you continually push the point? You are one of the most derogatory people I've come across. WE read the terms and accepted them, of course we're not all blessed with your intelligence, that's why we need you to save us. Please take my cards off your blogs (Congratulations! You worked out my name), they sell fine on their own, in spite of being (as you're now probably going to tell me) substandard. You're not winning a lot of friends, are you.

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2011, 12:21 »
Where you think I compare them to microstock is beyond me. Tell me where I said they are a mcrostock company or they are like a microstock company.

And this is not all about me...you're bashing a company that you never even participated with and Tim never said he sent litifeta in, he thanked him. Look for yourself...

"I don't want to cause too much of a stir here in your thread litifeta, but I also thought it was prudent to mention a couple of important things. First of all, thank you for starting the thread and recommending our site. Several of you have registered with us and have started uploading some wonderful looking business card templates."

Also if you had read this thread you would have noticed this link:

http://www.microstockgroup.com/off-topic/new-way-for-cross-promotion!/

It was also started by a contribute and explained the pay structure of ABC. That was a link that was put in this thread.

That pretty well makes my point and you are not worth wasting my time on any more. I think everyone can come to their own conclusion by reading this thread then reading your responses.

TimMc

« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2011, 12:25 »
"This is how he brainwashed you all into thinking he'll pay you fairly. The point is, you're getting paid by microstock standards, not POD standards."

That statement gets a wee bit under my skin. There's no brainwashing Marina. Also, we set our rates because that's what we could afford - not because we're interested in ripping people off. We pay our artists on time, every time - even when we don't get paid ourselves that week.

I'm not really interested in what other POD sites pay, what their structure is, etc. Do you know why? Because that is THEIR business, THEIR business model, and they have the freedom to set it up however they choose. In our business, this is what we could afford, we're honest about it, and apparently there are enough talented folks (the ones you keep slamming) around who appreciate it and are willing to work with us.

I really don't understand the angst and vitriol you're displaying here. I believe in all of my emails with you, I maintained a respectful tone with you. However, you're really trying to tear into us with name calling and make broad, sweeping allegations and accusations here, on Facebook and on Twitter. In truth, you're really out of line in how you're dealing with this issue.

1. Apparently you didn't research far enough back on this thread. It was actually started by Litifeta back in August 2008, not Mark Javer. Yes, Mark posted in a separate thread and we addressed it - because, in terms of forum behavior and etiquette, his post was ill contrived.

2. You're using my words about how people purchase images off of Microstock sites and then purchase business cards with those images as a comparison. That was not my point when I sent that to you. My point was to emphasize HOW people use Microstock. Being paid $5 for the template and $20 for the Art File sale is better for YOU - the artist. It's not better for us as a business. Heck, we'd be much better off encouraging all of our customers to go buy a cheap image out of a microstock gallery. We'd pocket an additional $5. But, we don't do that.

3. You keep referencing the fact that our terms are "hidden". How can they be hidden when they're posted verbatim in another thread here on Microstock Group? http://www.microstockgroup.com/theartofbusinesscards-com/new-forum-area-for-pod/ And while I'm addressing this subject, it's really our choice as to how we display our terms and where they're displayed. Not that you'll believe me, but it's something that has been discussed multiple times and will be discussed again. At some point, we may make our terms visible prior to the application/registration. We'll see...

Zazzle, CafePress, and whatever other POD sites you may find are all free to use their own business model. I don't like them - but I also don't bash them for it. Personally, I find it ridiculous to entertain the thought of charging someone $20+ for 100 business cards. THAT's A RIPOFF to the customer. But, I don't rant and rave about it - it's simply my opinion. I'd never order cards from them - whether I worked in the business card industry or not. In fact, we don't say a word about it because it's a free market and they can do what they want. The beauty of that is - so can we.

We're not some corporate giant or some group that has a whole bunch of VC (Venture Capitalist) money behind us to create some elaborate affinity site that prints on everything under the sun from business cards to baby diapers. We didn't sit around in some smoky back room looking for a way to prey on artists. We didn't sit down and say, "Hmm..let's concoct a way to screw a bunch of folks." Instead, we're a group of six people busting our butts to put something together that works. And, we're learning at the same time. We're open with our artist community - we're willing to make changes (whenever possible and affordable) and we're making some progress.

It's unfortunate that you've burned this bridge and the potential to work with us...because things are changing and the results will be very beneficial to our artist community. Instead, you've chosen a route that's alienating yourself, pitting people against you, and ultimately creating a lot of negativity for yourself.

I haven't spoken to you in a derogatory manner. I have been respectful to you throughout this entire process. I would appreciate the same level of decency from you. You're a talented artist - I appreciate your creativity - I've mentioned that multiple times to you. I would also appreciate it if you'd discontinue your toxic rantings. You're completely free to disagree with our business practices and do your own thing. I'm fine with that - just do it in a civil manner.

Jack, Gill, Donna - thank you.

« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2011, 12:31 »
Oh, that's only our beloved Sunnymars - don't worry, she is well known around here for her good manners.  :P