pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Corbis layoffs  (Read 24489 times)

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 14:14 »
What a cracking idea that would have been, it would have taken canstock from tiny to massive!

:)

I always thought Corbis went about entering the (overcrowded) micro market wrong.  They should have done what Getty did and purchase one of the established sites like DT.

Even someplace like Canstock would have been a better investment than starting from scratch.  At least they have a large image collection, functional website, and reviewing process and staff in place. 

If Corbis had bought an established micro, then all they would have had to do is spend some $ advertising it and I am sure the sales would have boomed.  No reason to have reinvented the wheel instead.

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 14:43 »
I still think SV can make it if they fix the obvious problems with the site.  Downsizing our images isn't a good idea and they have said that they will fix that.  FTP has been promised but it is taking far too long.

They are doing much better than the other sites that have launched in the last 18 months but that isn't hard is it :)

I do hope they are serious and this isn't going to be another LO.  There is still the potential to be a big profitable site and they don't have to change too much to get there.  I feel that more people will start using microstock sites instead of Corbis, so they should be doing more to get SV going.  It is frustrating that this isn't happening at the moment but I am still hopeful.

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 17:16 »
I'd like to return to the good ol' days when I was getting at least some sales from LuckyOliver. This Snap thing has been a fiasco.