MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Customer wants image for Billboard  (Read 4282 times)

« on: September 12, 2008, 04:41 »
A customer wants to buy one of my image for use on a bill board. They have contacted me directly and also want a new piece of work created but do not want to buy the rights to any of the work. Should I deal with the customer directly or direct them to where my work is for sale on a stock site. Which license would they need and which site would give me the best return.

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 08:30 »
If you don't do it directly, I'd send to Featurepics or Zymmetrical where you can name your price and keep 70% of the transaction.   (But, do they take Vectors?).   Do you have an hourly rate?  It is custom work after all, and you should be paid for custom work, even if they aren't  asking for exclusivity.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 16:38 »
Unless it is custom work, I wouldn't ask more than you already sell somewhere and I would negotiate according to the usage, exclusivity, etc. - RM actually.

Regards,
Adelaide 

RT

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 19:11 »
A customer wants to buy one of my image for use on a bill board. They have contacted me directly and also want a new piece of work created but do not want to buy the rights to any of the work. Should I deal with the customer directly or direct them to where my work is for sale on a stock site. Which license would they need and which site would give me the best return.

I'm sorry I've forgotten your name, but if I remember right you're in the UK?

Go onto the NUJ website and it will give you the 'going rate' for what you've mentioned in terms of doing a bespoke job for them. As for selling them an image you've already created, do what we all do, go onto a site like Alamy and price up an image for the purpose they require your image for, then quote them that rate.

Let me know if you need any help.

But whatever you do don't go through a stock site, * if you're going to do that give me 30% and I'll forward them a copy  :D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 19:13 by RT »

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 11:03 »
RT ;D  Sometimes it is just easier to do through an agency... that Vector file may be massive it cannot be e-mailed, and impossible to ftp if there is no location to send it to.. also collecting payment may be difficult if you have not PayPal or merchant account.  Also, will you have to charge and report sales taxes in your area (not personal taxes) if you do the transaction directly?

I once had a name of a site that you could ftp to and send clients a password... sorry, can't remember.  I only mention because perhaps it is easy to google.  (But then how many sleezebags would have access to that content?)

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 12:50 »
Once I sold an image directly to the buyer, and it was impossible to send the TIFF file (too large), but they accepted the high-quality JPEG instead.

There are some services you can upload files and other people can dld with a password.  However it seems to me these sites are aimed to piracy and so I don't know if it is a wise idea to use them.

Regards,
Adelaide

RT

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 13:18 »
You know he could always post it to them on a CD !! They've asked him to do a custom job so obviously time is not a major factor here.

digiology

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 13:45 »
Several of my clients use http://www.yousendit.com/ to transfer large files.

They have been around for few years and the service works great.

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 16:07 »
edited by me 8)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 16:33 by a.k.a.-tom »

zymmetricaldotcom

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 16:41 »
We would not want to broker direct deals, what i've always done (as Nicemonkey and some others here know) for design jobs is, when we get the inevitable request from an unknown client off the contact form to do some kind of one-off job, is just pass on the email to whoever seems like the best contender for the job from our Artist pool at the time. No strings attached, no guarantees.

Is there really still a problem with the logistics of file hosting space?  We've got disk space coming out of our yin-yang so if there is really still some people scratching their heads on how to get bigger files to the clients then I could add it to our 'to-do' list of additional features on Zymm.