pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: The impact of the finacial crisis on the micro-stock market.  (Read 4882 times)

« on: October 13, 2008, 06:34 »
What do you think about the impact of the finacial crisis on the micro-stock market?

my thoughts is:

- less advertising budget => designers must searching a cheaper alternative at macro-stock images

Well: maybe the crisis will be a new opportunity for us (I hope, of course)

What do you think about it?

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:45 »
Here are my thoughts:

In recessions and depressions, sales for everything (except the basics of life) decrease.

Staples (the basics of life) are things such as food, energy, toilet paper, etc.  Everyone still needs those things to live, so they will continue to spend on those items.

But other things that are not mandatory (including stock photos) will lose sales.

While some companies will move to the micros to save money, other companies will no longer have a budget or completely go out of business (thus decreasing sales at the micros).

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:52 »
GeoPappas hit the mark perfectly. There is bound to be a down turn in sales. Trickle down economics does not work.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 13:20 »
Sales are going to go up and then down on suscription sites...  People will download everything they can out of their suscriptions and then will stop downloading... It's going to be hard the next couple of months...

graficallyminded

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 22:08 »
Better keep uploading, guys.  Nothing in this world ever gets easier as time goes on.

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 04:39 »
This is most likely to be the worst month this year for me.
October in 2007 was the BEST month that year... This sure doesn't look good... :(

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 05:35 »
I have been on a stock  and forex market for a 5 years!

This is my opinion...
September was a "month of doubt", what will be with jobs, currencies, bank's accounts etc.
Many companies whose need producst of microstock industry stopped with adding funds on theirs micostocks accounts for this month...
"Fear of Recession" was the strongest in start... Advertisement industry is a first casualty but also will be first in start to go up...

Next month will be "resurrection month",You will see!  ;)

jsnover

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 11:01 »
http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/content_display/photo-news/photojournalism/e3ia353f77f11f28ab9bbc5a67cfad15f35

Here's a good news/bad news article. Bad news if you sell RM through Corbis (although they say they expect revenues to increase even though the royalty rate is cut). Potentially good news if you sell via the micros as they seem to think that relatively to RM, they will fare better over the next few years.

Not sure what to make of the notion that overall the industry will shrink over the next couple of years. I see lots of images being used - perhaps it's just the revenue that's shrinking as more sales come from the lower-priced RF sites.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 11:25 »
i think Corbis is saying that overall money generated will decrease over the next couple of years. I can see this happening because of the market slowdown. The full effects of which are yet to be felt.

RacePhoto

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 13:04 »
http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/content_display/photo-news/photojournalism/e3ia353f77f11f28ab9bbc5a67cfad15f35

Here's a good news/bad news article. Bad news if you sell RM through Corbis (although they say they expect revenues to increase even though the royalty rate is cut). Potentially good news if you sell via the micros as they seem to think that relatively to RM, they will fare better over the next few years.

Not sure what to make of the notion that overall the industry will shrink over the next couple of years. I see lots of images being used - perhaps it's just the revenue that's shrinking as more sales come from the lower-priced RF sites.

You are correct.

The traditional stock licensing that makes up most of the industry will shrink at an even faster rate, Corbis predicts, as low-priced microstock services grow and take more market share.

This was interesting too, down near the bottom of the article.

Corbis faces a tough fight against market leader Getty Images, which will grow in size by bringing the Jupiterimages brand into its fold. Getty said Thursday it will pay $96 million for Jupiterimages, which was valued at well over $300 million during failed merger talks last year. The price of the deal reflects the bleak outlook for Jupiterimages.