MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Traveling to Ottawa Canada  (Read 3755 times)

« on: October 25, 2008, 08:33 »
Hi All:

I'm going to Ottawa for University tours with my Son for 3 days and will have some time to visit some of the Museums and Our Parliament buildings. Does anyone know whether the are any restrictions on shooting in any of these places? or can suggest any great places to see through the lens. Looks like its going to pee rain all the days I'm there. poop. I wanted to get up to the Gatineaus.

Thanks
Penny

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 09:44 »
Hi Penny

For museums, you can shoot them outside no problems. But to shoot them inside, ask since the rules vary.

Ya, piss rain for the next few days so no walking in the Gatineaus.  >:(

Ther's some gret indooe architecture at Ottawa U though.  :)

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 09:55 »
Thanks... I'll take my camera to my sons appointment. Good Idea!

hali

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 15:21 »
the gatineau park is open to all. i remember when i was living there and  i was a student in photography, i took a picture of 3 kids playing in the trees near the tea house at gatineau park. it used to be owned by mackenzie king or some other prime minister. before i took their photos, i asked the "mother" if it was ok. she said sure, no problem. just then a big man came towards us, and ask her any problem.
she said no. later i found out (4 years later) that those 3 kids were the children of Trudeau. two of these kids are now running in politics in the footsteps of his father.

so, i suggest keep an eye and bring a model release. who knows, you might find the same thing . and be luckier than me. i was too young to know anything then.
have a good time in ottawa. it's a great city, kanata, nepean, and the outskirts,
all lovely friendly people.

oh another thing, if the wakefield train still runs from hull. take it, esp this time for fall colours. you won't regret it. also, if the old wooden bridges at wakefield
and surrounding areas are still up, you have the best scenery shots you can get with those colourful old wooden bridges.
also, a few minutes drive from kanata are little towns where factory outlets and flea markets are plentiful. old mills,etc.. and if you can drive to kingston,
it's another new place for photography.

as i said i haven't been there in over 20 years, but i imagine some of these towns and places don't change. good luck and happy shooting.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 15:29 by hali »

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 15:31 »
Hali, what an awesome story!   Canada's Royal family. 

Penelope, my niece just moved to Ottawa for school and she seems to love it, although it is a big change for a small town prairie girl.

hali

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 15:59 »
Hali, what an awesome story!   Canada's Royal family. 

Penelope, my niece just moved to Ottawa for school and she seems to love it, although it is a big change for a small town prairie girl.
thx pixart, except that i didn't cash in on my shot of sacha in the trees. it got me 100 marks for composition and b&w portrait with NYI. but had i known who he was, i would have been famous, ha!Ha!.

btw, your niece prairie girl, you said? as in winnipeg, or regina??? i lived there too. favourite hidden places like cypress hill , conlee natural reserve, qu'appelle,etc.., gorgeous places to camp if you like being alone.
worked and travelled all across the weather map in a straight line, every city ...from victoria to now maritimes.
i love the prairies too. quiet laid back and the ppl are always inviting you home for dinner,etc...

my best times across canada was in the prairies, actually.

oh penelope , a couple of the little towns (i remember now) are blackburn hamlet, hawkesbury (on the quebec side), and cornwall , a little past kanata. maybe it 's farther now, after so many years of expansion.
 and if you like to drive 3 hours past wakefield, rivere de sourd, there is echo lake at val de bois, (used to live in a cottage there chopping my own firewood and pumping water to get a bath, lol... building muscles like arnie in 3 months,lol).
at val des bois (lac echo) is a  wild life reserve where i used to camp in the wilderness. we used to wake up to loons and see moose and white tailed deer as we walk towards the lake for a bath au natural.  i am sure most of these places are still preserved. great place for a peaceful getaway.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 16:08 by hali »

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 16:22 »
Thanks Pixart and Hali. Sounds like lovely spots. Hope the rain holds off a bit - we'll see where I can get to. Just in case, I'm bringing my Alien Bees and worst comes to worst, I can take pictures in the hotel room. Dam... knew I should have got the "ring flash".

I love heading off to strange places for an adventure. Ottawa sounds very big to my Son. We live in a small town albeit an hour north of Toronto. I've been coast to coast in Canada, although never spent time in the prairies other than Alberta. I've ridden horses through the rockies and through the forests of PEI.

Newfoundland is on my bucket list. I hear it is magnificent ! 

We still do the wood thing for heat (50%) and I have lived in many a place in my younger days with no indoor plumbing. If we ever get together Hali, we can arm wrestle. heheh.

Thanks again for the info!
Penny

hali

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 16:31 »
I've ridden horses through the rockies and through the forests of PEI.
///
Newfoundland is on my bucket list. I hear it is magnificent ! 
We still do the wood thing for heat (50%) and I have lived in many a place in my younger days with no indoor plumbing. If we ever get together Hali, we can arm wrestle. heheh.

Thanks again for the info!
Penny

you're welcome Penny. 
as for arm wrestling, i think you will win nowadays. haven't chopped wood nor pump water
in 15 years. here in the maritimes now, i've been lazy , spending 18 hours in front of the computer.
takes me an hour to get myself out of bed,  ;D
whereas when i was living in the woods, i would be up as soon as the birds and the chipmunks
filled the air with their gorgeous songs. i do miss living in the wilderness.
less dangerous than the animals we have in the city.
i remember being scared to go outside at midnight to turn off the propane, with the weep poor wills and owls. but the ranger used to say, "nothing out there to hurt you. no man around,
only bears, hehheh!"

have a good trip.  and yes, do keep in touch.